More Monorail Problems Tonight

juan

Original Poster
Monorail shutdown and had to be towed

Orlando Sentinel
A glitch aboard a Walt Disney World monorail train forced it to be towed this evening, a company spokesman said.

The incident took place on the express line about 6 p.m. as a train was traveling between the Transportation Ticket Center and the Contemporary Resort. An on-board computer detected a possible mechanical problem, triggering the train to power down.

The train was towed to the next stop and the passengers were let off.

The problem was resolved by 6:30 p.m.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-monorail-glitch,0,4086800.story

Tom

Beta Return
Could we possibly contribute this to the presumed lack of maintenance while they were constantly running the same 10 trains since July?

With 12, they're able to cycle a couple through some routine/preventative maintenance and give them breaks. But since July (which, shockingly, the Sentnal didn't mention in this article), they've been exhausting their 10 remaining trains.

I dunno, just a thought. I don't remember this many failures in the past.

disney9752

Maybe a lack of care, or age setting in, during peak periods even regular period 11 trains regularly ran with ONE as an extra. during most times of year, xpress has 4, resort has 4 & epcot has 3. if anyting during a VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW period xpress might drop to 3 after the morning rush till after 3 o clock parade.

CaptainMichael

This fleet of monorails has been, as the expression goes, "rode hard and put up wet" for nearly 20 years now. Eventually, things start to deteriorate with old age and wear and tear.

TimNRA757

This fleet of monorails has been, as the expression goes, "rode hard and put up wet" for nearly 20 years now. Eventually, things start to deteriorate with old age and wear and tear.
I understand the argument that the monorails are old but I really think they could get them to last forever. After all aircraft over 20 years old have completely been rebuilt to be honest and you can do the same with these. Look at the steam trains that go around the MK every day. Just keep taking good care of them!!

hack2112

I understand the argument that the monorails are old but I really think they could get them to last forever. After all aircraft over 20 years old have completely been rebuilt to be honest and you can do the same with these. Look at the steam trains that go around the MK every day. Just keep taking good care of them!!
There's your problem.

_Scar

Look Monorail, it's past the point where I can say "this kinda stuff barely happens". Get your stuff together or hit the road if you don't want to operate correctly.

-sincerely _Scar

hack2112

(Major sigh) This is what the Sentinel has resorted to reporting as "news"? If this had happened before July's accident, you'd never hear about it. At this rate, they'll be reporting Space Mountain 101s and every time Cosmic Rays runs out of ribs...

-Rob
Cosmic Ray's out of ribs?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

RUN!!!!! HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!

/scampers to quality BBQ establishment :slurp:

Space Mountain

Here we go again...The media is over doing things now...seriously, this..news worthy?? This is a normal occurance and there is absolutely no need for a pointless news article. If anything, the article should mention the complex safety systems in place WORKING and not the "defects" that aren't anything to cause alarm. Like Rob said, I could see the media getting worked up about every major 101 around property...

SirGoofy

Here we go again...The media is over doing things now...seriously, this..news worthy?? This is a normal occurance and there is absolutely no need for a pointless news article. If anything, the article should mention the complex safety systems in place WORKING and not the "defects" that aren't anything to cause alarm. Like Rob said, I could see the media getting worked up about every major 101 around property...

While the media is going overboard, it does raise the question of what is actually going on with the monorails.

I never remember this many problems. And no, I'm not talking about the crash, that was an accident.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Normal? How normal? I've always been told that the Monorails had well over 95% effeciency without breakdowns

benji

Monorail is a hot topic that we at WDWMAGIC have been blogging about for years. I think WDW needs new monorails and also expand it to the other parks and hotels on property. You could tell they have been cutting corners with the monorail for years. The last attempt to restore them was about a year back. When they removed the old carpet and replaced it with cheap vinyle type flooring. I got stuck on the monorail a while back, the speaker kept saying we are in test mode and the monorail kept backing up about five feet and moving foward about teen feet. Everyone had to hold on really tight to the rails and seating so we won't fall. It was terrible I was so sick it went on about ten minutes. Thats not a lot of time stuck but that was enough for me.

mpaul32001

Monorails being towed happens all the time... why is this news?

If you're someone that goes to WDW every weekend, you would realize that the Monorails are nowhere near 95% efficiency. This happens about once every time I go to WDW. Not trying to hammer anyone, just pointing it out. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom