More darkrides needed!!! ANyone agree?

NewfieFan

[My bolding] I understand both sides to this, but I think the word "appeal" is key. Playhouse Disney appeals to preschoolers; however, anyone can enjoy it (such as myself...I'm a 26-year old female who does not have kids).

PPS can only be enjoyed by a certain age group. It's not that it appeals just to them, it is that literally, no one but small children can enjoy it. Tom Sawyer Island, Toontown....these are all places some may consider geared toward children, but still, everyone can enjoy those places. PPS excludes many guests, as CThaddeus stated.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...just thought I'd chime in a bit. :wave:

Ok, maybe it was wrong of me to compare PPS to the Playhouse Disney show. I agree that anyone can enjoy that show, even I was alittle star struck by Bear (in the Big Blue House)!:) But I've never argued the fact that PPS is only for young children and doesn't appeal to (or can be enjoyed by) anybody else (except for maybe the parents). My point is only simple - I like the spot and I think these free play areas are important elements in the parks. We need these areas for young children. I don't think they need three play areas in one area though (as I've stated). If they expanded ToonTown Park it would make me quite happy and then you could go ahead and tear down PPS. By they way, have you ever been to PPS in the night? It can be quite relaxing, the lights, the Pooh music playing, kids running free, check it out some time - you may be surprised!?!

I promise this is the last time I will get off topic here!:lookaroun By the way, is JimboJones123 correct, that dark rides may be a thing of the past!?! I was hoping we would get to see that Little Mermaid ride come to be. Too bad!:(

lilredfoxie

Mission:Space is infinitely better than Horizons, literally.

Yea right, a 5 minute simulator that killed a few people is better than an omnimover with a 14 minute heartwarming, well developed story, which was housed in an architectural marvel of a building. I would much rather have a longer attraction with less wait time, then spend an hour in a queue for a short ride.

Am I one of the few that believes WDW has changed way too much over the years. Theres so much stuff that if it just held on another couple of years would have been popular again in the new retro craze. One example would be the old look of Tomorrowland, somehow I think if that was kept till today they could have made it all look cool because it has that 70s retro look which has gotten popular. Perhaps that may have saved some of the classic attractions in there from being replaced. And if they had to be replaced they wouldnt just do movie tie-in rides. Take Flight could have gotten another airline sponsor and been updated again. The Circle Vision 360 theater had a lot of potential as well for a new film. And Mission to Mars, it may not have had deadly G-Forces but some could say the cheesy-ness was part of the appeal, same with 20,000 leagues under the sea, another classic attraction that unfortunately met its demise.

Kuhio

I have fond memories of the Indy Speedway, but I think it desperately needs an upgrade. The loud riding-lawnmower sounds have got to go. Bring in the silent, electric Autopia cars seen in HKDL's version (complete with sound effects), plus the scenery a bit, and the Speedway can live up to its potential.

As for dark rides... as much as I like Alice and Pinocchio and the others not found at the Magic Kingdom, I'd prefer to see the parks each have different and unique dark rides, rather than the same ones over and over. Give WDW a Little Mermaid dark ride, DLP a Beauty and the Beast one, HKDL a Sleeping Beauty one, etc. ...

TP2000

As for dark rides... as much as I like Alice and Pinocchio and the others not found at the Magic Kingdom, I'd prefer to see the parks each have different and unique dark rides, rather than the same ones over and over. Give WDW a Little Mermaid dark ride...

Al Lutz has recently reported (and then several other insider sources on other websites confirmed it, for those who refuse to believe anything Al Lutz says even though he's right more often than he's wrong) that a new Little Mermaid ride is going into Disney's California Adventure where Golden Dreams is now. That would bring the Anaheim dark ride total up to nine different dark rides in the two Anaheim parks, while Orlando still has three, and those three are only found in the Magic Kingdom. :eek:

What about a Lion King dark ride in Animal Kingdom? A clever, four minute long thing in the classic Disneyland tradition that the whole family can go on while waiting for their Everest Fastpass time to come up?

raven

I keep reading posts by people saying that there are only 3 dark rides at Magic Kingdom. Let's look a little deeper into the term "dark ride" before we count them.

A dark ride can either be in a vehicle or in a boat. A dark ride consists of passengers slowly moving through a building past scenes (one of the first original dark rides was called The Old Mill, a water ride).

Now that we have established what a "dark ride" really is let's count again:

MK
Pooh
Peter Pan
Snow White
PotC
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Buzz Lightyear
It's a Small World

Epcot
Spaceship Earth
Living with the Land
Nemo
Imagination
Universe of Energy
Maelstrom
Grand Fiesta

MGM
Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Mania (coming soon)

Animal Kingdom
Dinosaur

Seeing these all together makes WDW look better but I still think MK has room to add a few more.

twasbrillig

Yea right, a 5 minute simulator that killed a few people is better than an omnimover with a 14 minute heartwarming, well developed story, which was housed in an architectural marvel of a building. I would much rather have a longer attraction with less wait time, then spend an hour in a queue for a short ride.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

Katherine

i think that they do need new dark rides... maybe an original story rather than just using a movie. I, however, think that the "old" dark ride has seen it's days (aka snow white, don't get me wrong i love this ride but it's technology is old). Instead I think that they need to convert to a track that is more similar to a propelled rollercoaster so that speeds can be ajusted and they can add in new motions (like the water in the winnie the pooh ride). There would be no falling just there would be a motor that would propel the vehicle forward and slow it down as the car is programmed (smaller than the indiana jones/dinosaur ride vehicles thought). I think they need to go back to original rides. A new space odyssey attraction in tomorrowland where you go to Mars/around the Milky Way or a quest to find the lockness monster or something like that. Get some new stories in the disney family.

DizFanatic

OK, I think Splash Mt. is the ultimate dark ride. You get the classic Disney dark ride:) with great tunes plus a major thrill ride:eek: all in one. The length of the ride (12 minutes?) makes it a real bonus.:sohappy:

So, yes... we need more dark rides. Things like Splash Mt. should be added to all parks (no, not a copy, but the dark&thrill&long combo)

Does anybody remember the story of the Muppets dark ride that was planned for MGM (yes, I know, DHS... still a habbit)? Jim Henson was involved in the design. Now that Disney owns those furry little friends, it would be a wonderful tribute to Mr. Henson to build it. Who wouldn't love it? Especially if it's built in true Disney style (not Eisner/Presler cheap cardboard cutout style).

Dark rides are great for adults, kids, families, grannies... It's Disney man! Yes, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Space Mt. and Expedition Everest (amung others) are incredibly freakin' cool & I wouldn't trade them in.

So the answer to the question should be obvious by now. Enough of my blabbing, but bring on the dar rides baby!:hammer:

DizFanatic

i think that they do need new dark rides... maybe an original story rather than just using a movie. I, however, think that the "old" dark ride has seen it's days (aka snow white, don't get me wrong i love this ride but it's technology is old). Instead I think that they need to convert to a track that is more similar to a propelled rollercoaster so that speeds can be ajusted and they can add in new motions (like the water in the winnie the pooh ride). There would be no falling just there would be a motor that would propel the vehicle forward and slow it down as the car is programmed (smaller than the indiana jones/dinosaur ride vehicles thought). I think they need to go back to original rides. A new space odyssey attraction in tomorrowland where you go to Mars/around the Milky Way or a quest to find the lockness monster or something like that. Get some new stories in the disney family.
All my blabbing and I could have just agreed with Katherine.:lookaroun So, well said Katherine!:wave:

DisneyNeighbor

I agree, more dark rides are needed at the other parks. Nothing beats riding with your whole family. The classic dark rides such as peter pan and snow white are wonderful for a entire family. But why limit them to one park. I say build more in the other parks.

In earlier posts the ideas of rides based on Treasure Planet, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid and others sound great.

Here are some ideas that I thought of while reading this post

Animal Kingdom
-Lion King with Timon and Pumba.
-Little mermaid- wait make it a log flume like splash but not as big

Studios
-Playhouse Disney
-Muppets

Epcot
-Bring back Toad Hall and put it in England
-Aristocats in France
-Brother Bear in Canada
-Mulan in China

Magic Kingdom
-Little Mermaid
-Toy Story shooting like Buzz but western themed in Fronterland
-Treasure Planet in Tommorowland

Here are some the would be neat for a family, but each park should have some traditional dark rides.

jt04

I was also thinking a haunted ride was also a good idea. I think each park should have one.
MK-HM
DHS-ToT
EPCOT- Tower of London
AK-????

Scooter

I like the Toad Hall in England idea. England really needs some kind of attraction.

They have The Rose and Crown Pub...

..in the evening, with all the drunks roaming around, just walking around that area IS an attraction.
:p

Kuhio

I agree, more dark rides are needed at the other parks. Nothing beats riding with your whole family. The classic dark rides such as peter pan and snow white are wonderful for a entire family. But why limit them to one park. I say build more in the other parks.

In earlier posts the ideas of rides based on Treasure Planet, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid and others sound great.

Here are some ideas that I thought of while reading this post

Animal Kingdom
-Lion King with Timon and Pumba.
-Little mermaid- wait make it a log flume like splash but not as big

Studios
-Playhouse Disney
-Muppets

Epcot
-Bring back Toad Hall and put it in England
-Aristocats in France
-Brother Bear in Canada
-Mulan in China

Magic Kingdom
-Little Mermaid
-Toy Story shooting like Buzz but western themed in Fronterland
-Treasure Planet in Tommorowland

Here are some the would be neat for a family, but each park should have some traditional dark rides.

I love the idea of more dark rides for the other parks. Lion King and maybe Pocahontas in DAK, plus the above-mentioned dark rides for the various World Showcase pavilions. It would also help counteract some of the criticism that there isn't enough for kids to do in World Showcase.

DisneyNeighbor

Does anyone know the cost comparison of dark rides vs. other rides built. I would imagine that a dark ride depending on the details and effects must be cheaper to build than more none traditional rides. I don't want Disney to stop building new and different rides. But you still can't do away with a traditional dark ride.

TP2000

But you still can't do away with a traditional dark ride.

No, you can't. And yet so many nice folks in this thread don't really know what they are talking about when they refer to a "dark ride". In the traditional amusement park industry sense of the term, rides like Splash Mountain, World of Motion, or Space Mountain are not "dark rides".

A dark ride is not simply a ride at a Disney theme park where the lights are low. A dark ride is a traditional amusement park ride where a small car travels along a bus-bar track past simple sets illuminated by blacklight and bright paint. Snow White is a classic dark ride. Space Mountain or Horizons or Haunted Mansion or Maelstrom are not dark rides in the definition implied in this thread.

A dark ride is a D Ticket at most, but more likely a humble C Ticket, and it usually doesn't last more than 3 minutes. Alice In Wonderland, a favorite Disneyland dark ride to this day, only ranked as a B Ticket! It's true, and yet Alice In Wonderland has some of the longest lines in Fantasyland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKqquVlBSlM

Using that traditional industry definition of a "dark ride", Walt Disney World in Florida only has three dark rides on the entire property. Four Theme Parks. Two Water Parks. 25 Hotels. Six Golf Courses. Walkways A Mile Wide. But only three dark rides; Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, and The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh. And unfortunately for two of those, they haven't updated the technology or effects since Richard Nixon was President.

Disneyland USA in Anaheim has seven dark rides in just one park; Snow White's Scary Adventures, Peter Pan's Flight, The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Pinnochio's Daring Journey, and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. And next door in California Adventure there is an additional new dark ride, Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue!, that brings the total for Anaheim to eight dark rides. Anaheim has narrow walkways. Only three hotels. Only two parks. But, eight different dark rides. And they refurbish them regularly and have been adding new digitial and fiber optic special effects over the last few years, in addition to the regular TLC. Alice In Wonderland is about to close for another six week TLC refurbishment later this month, then they'll work on updating Mr. Toad next. Casey Jr. Circus Train and StorybookLand Canal Boats are currently closed for five weeks for similar treatment at Disneyland's Fantasyland. Disneyland dark rides look great! WDW's pale in comparison.

I can understand why there would be confusion about what a dark ride actually is for East Coast fans who primarly visit Walt Disney World, as there are so few dark rides on that sprawling property and the term just isn't familiar to them. But traditional Walt Disney dark rides are integral to a visit to Disneyland, and I really think the sprawling and sometimes sterile and corporate WDW experience could be improved if it tried to capture a little of that traditional Disneyland dark ride experience. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom