More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisDan

I've heard this from many CM's so you aren't the only one who is saddened by it.

I think that it the point. Instead of taking away like they always do, they actually need to build more. Walt called it "plussing" but all that they've been doing now is replacing.

If they could've built a new park then why don't they?

Please tell me youre not serious. They are not simply replacing in this particular instance at DHS. They are rebuilding the entire back half of DHS and PLUSSING the entire DHS experience. This is not a replacement in the same vein that Maelstrom or NFL was. C'mon.

raven

Please tell me youre not serious. They are not simply replacing in this particular instance at DHS. They are rebuilding the entire back half of DHS and PLUSSING the entire DHS experience. This is not a replacement in the same vein that Maelstrom or NFL was. C'mon.

raven

Rebuilding is the same as replacing. They aren't adding at all.

DisDan

That's just not true, they are certainly adding more to DHS than was there before. That is, by very definition, ADDING. Also they are expanding the overall footprint of the Park and making areas that were once considered Backstage now part of the walkable space for the park. When all is said and done there will be more space to explore than before and more attractions to visit than before. Is that not adding?

Next Big Thing

Yes, they are.

SOA was used for 2.5 months out of the year.
LMA was used twice a day
BLT has been closed for 1.5 years now and took up an enormous amount of backstage space that will now be EXPANDED upon for GUEST USE.

This is an expansion. You may not be able to grasp your brain around it, but it is in every definition of the term. Parts of the park that were useless before will now be full of life.

FigmentForver96

I've heard this from many CM's so you aren't the only one who is saddened by it.

I think that it the point. Instead of taking away like they always do, they actually need to build more. Walt called it "plussing" but all that they've been doing now is replacing.

If they could've built a new park then why don't they?
Because there is a park in shambles that needs help. Why build a new park when you already have one that needs serious help.

raven

Building something new to an area that was already used for an attraction isn't "adding." Maybe you can grasp your brain around that. The fact is that they still have to take out a guest area to build another one. That is replacing. Park footprint or not, it's still the same land.

The post I replied to was trying to say they should add brand new areas and attractions while keeping the other ones.

Disney has nearly doubled its available rooms in the past 10 years and parks are seeing an all time record attendances year 'round so the parks are more crowded than ever yet they are exactly the same size as when they were built. Until they actually "expand" they are going to have the same problems over and over again. Hate to say it but maybe they need to take a look at Universal's plans. Yes, they've replaced some areas but there is lots being built on new land. And they have a minuscule land plot compared to Disney.

Next Big Thing

Building something new to an area that was already used for an attraction isn't "adding." Maybe you can grasp your brain around that. The fact is that they still have to take out a guest area to build another one. That is replacing. Park footprint or not, it's still the same land.

The post I replied to was trying to say they should add brand new areas and attractions while keeping the other ones.

Disney has nearly doubled its available rooms in the past 10 years and parks are seeing an all time record attendances year 'round so the parks are more crowded than ever yet they are exactly the same size as when they were built. Until they actually "expand" they are going to have the same problems over and over again. Hate to say it but maybe they need to take a look at Universal's plans. Yes, they've replaced some areas but there is lots being built on new land. And they have a minuscule land plot compared to Disney.
OK, fine. You want expansion as in park boundaries being moved? You're getting that too. Star Wars Land is going into the parking lot and parking structures being built.

There's no denying "expansion". There will be much more to do in the park that people actually care about doing than before and that's the point. No one cared about the BLT anymore. No one cared about LMA. The SOA were just an empty walkway most of the year. It was all wasted space. You may not want to admit it, but it was.

JohnD

Soooooooo all this makes sense, but without the Hat, and now without the Tower...what is MGM's icon? The stage in front of the Chinese Theater?

Why all the concern over "What is the icon?" Does it matter? First the BAH was put up 14 years after the park opened. It was an eyesore. But somehow it had to become the "icon" in many people's view, especially those who never saw the view as first intended. I personally think the view down Hollywood Blvd. of the Chinese Theatre is a great view. Does it mean that it's the icon? No. Who cares? If you walk down Sunset Blvd., ToT provides a great view. Is it the icon? Who cares? I'll miss Earful Tower but now we know why we haven't seen it on any promotional material since the BAH was taken down.

wdwgreek

OK, fine. You want expansion as in park boundaries being moved? You're getting that too. Star Wars Land is going into the parking lot and parking structures being built.

There's no denying "expansion". There will be much more to do in the park that people actually care about doing than before and that's the point. No one cared about the BLT anymore. No one cared about LMA. The SOA were just an empty walkway most of the year. It was all wasted space. You may not want to admit it, but it was.
Streets of America, and lights Motor Action both were wastes of spaces. LMA with its two shows a day had a huge capacity, but not a huge daily capacity. Other then the Holidays SOA was just a walkway, some cool buildings, but not really an attraction. So what is the capacity of the area as a whole 3 thousand over the course of the two shows and the day? The expansion is giving us two star wars attractions, presumably with decent hourly capacity, Toy story is adding a third track to Toy story increasing capacity, taking up back stage space, adding a family coaster, 800-900 an hour, and then another attraction. So not only is the on stage area for guests being increased substantially, and the park capacity is increasing significantly. All and all this is an expansion in nearly every definition of the term.

raven

Streets of America, and lights Motor Action both were wastes of spaces. LMA with its two shows a day had a huge capacity, but not a huge daily capacity, Toy story is adding a third track to Toy story increasing capacity, taking up back stage space....

The Backlot Tour was all but demolished when they put in LMA (a replacement). SOA was originally part of that tour as well. Toy Story Mania is building a 3rd track into a building that was originally for the walking tour (a replacement as well), the rest of Toy Story land will be built on space that was used by the backlot tour (another replacement).

And I understand they need to fix the current parks before they build more but why haven't they done this by now? They certainly aren't hurting for money or space.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Since you bring up Universal, take Diagon Alley as an example of expanding without expanding. It takes up the same space the Jaws once did, but provides much more space for guests, and a lot more for them to do. Jaws was a 6 minute ride, but you could spend a couple hours in Diagon.

raven

Since you bring up Universal, take Diagon Alley as an example of expanding without expanding. It takes up the same space the Jaws once did, but provides much more space for guests, and a lot more for them to do. Jaws was a 6 minute ride, but you could spend a couple hours in Diagon.

King Kong? New Water Park? New Hotels? All on newly developed land.

Next Big Thing

Perfect example.

It just baffles me that we are even having this conversation, arguing over the fact that DHS is finally getting it's act together.

wdwgreek

The Backlot Tour was all but demolished when they put in LMA (a replacement). SOA was originally part of that tour as well. Toy Story Mania is building a 3rd track into a building that was originally for the walking tour (a replacement as well), the rest of Toy Story land will be built on space that was used by the backlot tour (another replacement).

And I understand they need to fix the current parks before they build more but why haven't they done this by now? They certainly aren't hurting for money or space.

Yes, things are being replaced. The back lot tour when it originally opened had a miserably small daily capacity. The "tours" were small and no more then a hundred people per room at a time. Toy story Mania alone hands down had the same if not higher capacity as the original backlot tour. I am well aware of the history of the park, however the replacements are increasing the overall park and the walking space for guests. The parking lot is being built into as well, and the backstage spaces, costume rooms, parking lot, etc I never considered guest accessible spaces. The overall capacity of the expansion meets and indeed exceeds the opening day MGM capacity. Why haven't they done this by now... well yes they have tons of money, but currently they just finished building an expansion in MK, a huge revamp of Downtown Disney, a huge revamp of DCA, building shanghai, a few years back building Hong Kong Disney. Has the park been neglected absolutely, but why haven't they don't this by now? I'm not in the board room, I assume they took a if its not broke don't fix it, but they are fixing it now it is broken and has been broken since 1995.

Next Big Thing

King Kong? New Water Park? New Hotels? All on newly developed land.
Universal was sorely under-developed before Comcast came in.

And it seems all but assured that DHS will be expanding into the parking lot. There is literally no where else for this park to expand, so i'm not exactly sure what you want when you are complaining about them not "expanding" and only replacing (things that people didn't care about I may add...).

raven

Universal was sorely under-developed before Comcast came in.

And it seems all but assured that DHS will be expanding into the parking lot. There is literally no where else for this park to expand, so i'm not exactly sure what you want when you are complaining about them not "expanding" and only replacing (things that people didn't care about I may add...).

Yes, I am the only one on this entire board that cares about any such thing Take a glance at some of the other threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom