More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disneyhead'71

I know. But they are putting Frozen at Epcot and Star Wars at studios. You suggested putting Frozen at DHS, but they are putting Star Wars and Toy Story at Studios. I would rather see Frozen in Epcot than Star Wars in Epcot.
It should have been Frozen and Star Wars going into the Studios.

We really don't need TSL and it's lackluster theme and attractions.

Disneyhead'71

I fully agree that the illusion of something beyond the tree line is part of the magic. The Great Wall is just behind the China Pavilion. And for a while, that illusion will be missing at Studios. Oh well, long term it's worth it. If you've ever had a major remodeling project in your home, you'll know there is definite inconvenience and pain. Doubling up the bedrooms. Standing in line for the bathrooms. Doing dishes in the bathtub. The fridge in the middle of the living room. Sawdust. Noise. Yup, this is the Disney equivalent.
But are you charging guests 100 bucks a pop to wash dishes in your bathtub? How's attendance looking, and what do the lines at Guest Services look like?

Disneyhead'71

I know I wouldn't drop 100 bucks on anything without looking for at least 2 minutes to see what I am paying for.
But what if you have been there 10 times, the last being 4 years ago. I can easily see semi-regular guests that would never guess that they would shutter 1/3 of a park that only ever had 6 rides.

DHS is a miserable little park. To put it bluntly, the only park in Orlando that is worse is Fun Spot. And that is actually a close call.

raven

I know. But they are putting Frozen at Epcot and Star Wars at studios. You suggested putting Frozen at DHS, but they are putting Star Wars and Toy Story at Studios. I would rather see Frozen in Epcot than Star Wars in Epcot.
I never said anything about Star Wars though. I suggested Frozen at DHS in addition to Star Wars and Toy Story already.

dreamscometrue

It should have been Frozen and Star Wars going into the Studios.

We really don't need TSL and it's lackluster theme and attractions.

I disagree. I'm looking forward to TSL (and I'm rather old :)) and I'm sure a lot of families are as well. DHS needs a Fantasyland type area with attractions for people who are not so inclined to do ToT, R'nRC or even Star Tours. The Toy Story movies are box office hits, and well loved by many like my daughter and her friends, who were young in the 90s and 00s. We currently enjoy TSMM, and think the Andy's backyard theme, and slinky coaster, etc. looks fun and will be a welcomed addition.

Jon81uk

I never said anything about Star Wars though. I suggested Frozen at DHS in addition to Star Wars and Toy Story already.

Where though and when? Star Wars and Toy Story are taking up the best bits of the available building land. Also Frozen needed it's attraction open buy now, there was no where at DHS they could do that quickly, other than the sing-a-long show we got already.

Jon81uk

I was just discussing this with my mother-can you imagine the poor, uninformed soul that decided while in Orlando on business to give one of the parks a visit, and went to HS based on 20 year-old memories, and then paid $100 to essentially see everything in ~4 hours? (at least one of which naturally spent waiting for Midway Mania)

A bit of schadenfreude, but I'd be so amused...

To be fair, other than the closure of backlot tour, I think there probably is more attractions now than there was 20 years ago! Then you would have got a longer tour and walk through. Now you have Rock'n'Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror.

Disneyhead'71

I disagree. I'm looking forward to TSL (and I'm rather old :)) and I'm sure a lot of families are as well. DHS needs a Fantasyland type area with attractions for people who are not so inclined to do ToT, R'nRC or even Star Tours. The Toy Story movies are box office hits, and well loved by many like my daughter and her friends, who were young in the 90s and 00s. We currently enjoy TSMM, and think the Andy's backyard theme, and slinky coaster, etc. looks fun and will be a welcomed addition.
What I mean is there is not a Disney park out there that needs garish carnival spinners and a modest naked steel coaster. But I'm sure the Disney Demo will eat it up and lay death threats on those that say it is less than MAGICal.

doctornick

I was just discussing this with my mother-can you imagine the poor, uninformed soul that decided while in Orlando on business to give one of the parks a visit, and went to HS based on 20 year-old memories, and then paid $100 to essentially see everything in ~4 hours? (at least one of which naturally spent waiting for Midway Mania)

A bit of schadenfreude, but I'd be so amused...

I would question what fond "memories" they have of DHS that inspired them to go there. I'm always scratching my head as to when this mythical golden age of DHS was -- it was always a pretty lousy park, just in different ways at different times.

Jon81uk

What I mean is there is not a Disney park out there that needs garish carnival spinners and a modest naked steel coaster. But I'm sure the Disney Demo will eat it up and lay death threats on those that say it is less than MAGICal.

Every Disney park has a garish spinner ride. Dumbo started it sixty years ago. Also it is expected that the green alien ride will be a copy of Maters Jamboree from CarsLand at DCA, which is a whip ride, not a spinner.

Disneyhead'71

I would question what fond "memories" they have of DHS that inspired them to go there. I'm always scratching my head as to when this mythical golden age of DHS was -- it was always a pretty lousy park, just in different ways at different times.
1994. Before RnR. The park was small but cohesive. That is the best it ever was. It's all been down hill from there. So the park has been on a 21 year slide into the current Disney's Crappy Studios Theme Park.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But what if you have been there 10 times, the last being 4 years ago. I can easily see semi-regular guests that would never guess that they would shutter 1/3 of a park that only ever had 6 rides.

DHS is a miserable little park. To put it bluntly, the only park in Orlando that is worse is Fun Spot. And that is actually a close call.

Shut it down then.

dreamscometrue

But I'm sure the Disney Demo will eat it up and lay death threats on those that say it is less than MAGICal.
Well, I don't plan to do that lol. I just like the theme, and realize that every themed area of every Disney Park (and those of Uni and others) does not have to have-nor could they have- $100 million e-tickets to work. There exist such places as 'A Bug's Land' at DCA, 'Woody Woodpecker Kids Zone' at USO, and 'Toontown' at TDL. There always has been, and always will be, a mix of levels of theming and 'a, b, c, d and e ticket' type attractions. I believe TSL will be better than the 3 lands that I mentioned. So...I'm happy with it and looking forward to it. To each, his or her own.

Tony the Tigger

I agree with @raven it's not at this point simply adding like said Avatar land in Animal Kingdom or taking half of Lost continent to build Harry Potter or jaws and amity harbor to build a diagon alley. This is a multi stage closure of hal a theme park to build new lands. It's not in phases it's all coming up at once. In my point of view as a Imagineer as this point, it's becoming a little bit of a joke. I like doing in phases because can jack the the price up of admission on a business point of view. But as a guest it allows for more attractions to stay open giving a full experience. I get it there are one to two shows left. But please don't tell me that TSMM, TOT, Rockin Roll, and TGMR are worth 90 dollars or more a day. Not even cedar point is worth that much, and look at all the rides available. I get it the theme park experience has and never will be about the rides themselves. Rather they be about our minds giving the guest an amazing world to explore. But to keep a park open during a major overhaul is a little out of nerve in my opinion. We have money to shut one theme park down while we tear down everything and rebuild it. But the poor planning and management at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is baffling me, this is not the Disney I grew wanting to work for. So many of my friends and collegues have left to Cedar, Universal, Merlin, and Seas just because of management. I will remain loyal and anonymous until the end, but i'm just disgusted that anyone would think that Walt would leave the park open during this overhaul.

Here's another perspective: I'm an annual pass holder who lives a few hours away. If I'm going to WDW and already can go anywhere, why would I want to limit myself and not go to ToT or Tune-In Lounge (two faves) just because there is construction around? If you close the whole park, that's even less for us to do and even more crowded elsewhere.

They can just offer an "after 4pm" pass for a reduced rate like at Epcot for one-day attendees who don't want to spend $100 on it.

We just spent noon to 6 at HS last week and would have stayed til 8 for SW fireworks if it hadn't been so chilly out. Didn't go to any other parks that day. Didn't feel cheated. Had a great time.

MonorailLover

Here's another perspective: I'm an annual pass holder who lives a few hours away. If I'm going to WDW and already can go anywhere, why would I want to limit myself and not go to ToT or Tune-In Lounge (two faves) just because there is construction around? If you close the whole park, that's even less for us to do and even more crowded elsewhere.

Not to mention closing the park would "probably" force them to reduce the annual pass price by probably 10-15%. I put probably in quotes, as I mean to say this lightly, as they probably wouldn't actually reduce the price.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom