More booze at Disneyland

SSG

Does anyone know how long alcohol has been served in Magic Kingdom restaurants? My impression (which is often wrong) is it's been awhile, like 10 years or so.

Last edited:

SSG

2012 MK started
OK, thanks. To me that makes the 'slippery slope' concerns a lot less likely. While I wouldn't be surprised at anything Disney tries to make money, they've had 11 years to add more alcohol service in Magic Kingdom, but they haven't done it. No bars, no beer carts, just limited drinks at sit down dining. 11 years and people aren't running around MK with pints in their fists suggests it's unlikely to become a boozed up Bacchanalia at Disneyland either.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Really? I would have never got that from your posting history. Still though, I imagine you’re nowhere near 25 visits a year right?
Given the back and forth we've had over the years its come up before on my AP/Magic Key status, so guess you don't remember.

And whether I visit once a year or multiple times a week is irrelevant. The things that bother you just don't bother me no matter how many times I go.

mickEblu

Given the back and forth we've had over the years its come up before on my AP/Magic Key status, so guess you don't remember.

And whether I visit once a year or multiple times a week is irrelevant. The things that bother you just don't bother me no matter how many times I go.

It’s not irrelevant. You said you never noticed the grass not being real. I was making a point that it could be possible that you don’t notice things due to the frequency of your visits. Not caring about something and not noticing something are not necessarily the same thing. I’ve seen a male CM with long purple finger nails a grand total of once and I went 25x last year. Now, painted nails on male CM’s in general I’ve been seeing all over the park.

I know you were a Magic Key/ AP at one point. Didn’t realize you had been one for 10 years. If I’m not mistaken you are from the Bay Area so I imagine you don’t go all that often.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s not irrelevant. You said you never noticed the grass not being real. I was making a point that it could be possible that you don’t notice things due to the frequency of your visits. Not caring about something and not noticing something are not necessarily the same thing. I’ve seen a male CM with long purple finger nails a grand total of once and I went 25x last year. Now painted nails on males in general I’ve been seeing all over the park.

I know you were a Magic Key/ AP at one point. Didn’t realize you had been one for 10 years. If I’m not mistaken you are from the Bay Area so imagine you don’t go all that often.
The point was I don't notice these things because I'm not looking for them or anything else to nitpick about. When I go to Disneyland its to go relax and enjoy the experience not to look for fake grass or other things that might be "off" from my last visit.

And again I don't get bothered by the same things you do. Anything that doesn't impact my experience I don't get bothered by. Fake grass at Disneyland doesn't impact my visit so its not something that I'm going to get bothered by or even notice. Same with the fingernail color of any random CM I might interact with, it just doesn't affect my experience.

So you and I are different, again the number of times I go per year, which is about 12 days per year by the way, is irrelevant...

VJ

my problem with alcohol being widely served at disneyland is less a problem relating to disneyland or walt and more of alcohol becoming so socially normalized that people feel like they "have to" drink to be accepted or whatever. we've all seen the "hahah i can't survive without a glass of wine!" memes and while i'm a fairly live-and-let-live kinda guy, there are a lot of alcoholics in my family and i really hate dealing with drunk people so i try to personally stay away from alcohol and situations with alcohol in general

i know people can "enjoy responsibly" as the ads say but i would be lying if i said the normalization of alcohol didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, seeing the damage it does to people i care about firsthand and how "just one beer" can turn into months of binging

i guess this has become more of a vent which probably isn't appropriate for a theme park forum, just wanted to share my feelings and why i feel the way i feel

Disney Irish

Premium Member
my problem with alcohol being widely served at disneyland is less a problem relating to disneyland or walt and more of alcohol becoming so socially normalized that people feel like they "have to" drink to be accepted or whatever. we've all seen the "hahah i can't survive without a glass of wine!" memes and while i'm a fairly live-and-let-live kinda guy, there are a lot of alcoholics in my family and i really hate dealing with drunk people so i try to personally stay away from alcohol and situations with alcohol in general

i know people can "enjoy responsibly" as the ads say but i would be lying if i said the normalization of alcohol didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, seeing the damage it does to people i care about firsthand and how "just one beer" can turn into months of binging

i guess this has become more of a vent which probably isn't appropriate for a theme park forum, just wanted to share my feelings and why i feel the way i feel
I empathize with your point-of-view, as I too come from a family with alcoholics so know the feelings.

All I can say is theme parks and other locations with stress inducing triggers should be avoided if the person cannot handle their alcohol.

Parteecia

It’s not irrelevant. You said you never noticed the grass not being real. I was making a point that it could be possible that you don’t notice things due to the frequency of your visits. Not caring about something and not noticing something are not necessarily the same thing. I’ve seen a male CM with long purple finger nails a grand total of once and I went 25x last year. Now, painted nails on male CM’s in general I’ve been seeing all over the park.

I know you were a Magic Key/ AP at one point. Didn’t realize you had been one for 10 years. If I’m not mistaken you are from the Bay Area so I imagine you don’t go all that often.
I've had a pass since I found out there was such a thing and go on average once a week. The only thing I notice about CMs is how they treat me. I guess I'm oblivious.

Ok, that's not completely true. I sometimes notice if their costumes are too sloppy.

Lilofan

More booze comes with more food to go with liquid refreshments. Epcot
Food and Wine and DL need to purchase more trash cans since they make creative table tops to hold guest food and drink.

Colonel Angus

Folks like Chris Provost are claiming it is the whole "Walt's Park" thing in defense of keeping it dry. I look at it like this: Alcohol has huge mark ups. So if there is anything to bring in revenue and maybe keep them from nickel and dimeing us somewhere else the way they have been the past few years, I'm all for it! Maybe instead of increasing the Genie+ price they get that revenue by way of alcohol sales? I don't know?

I know there are bad apples. I personally have yet to see any at WDW or DLR or even DLP in person. We all have social media now...

Me? I like booze. I'm a hobbyist and study a few kinds. I am a homebrewer. I go to the parks mostly solo these days and while on vacation do a little day drinking. It can mellow out the stress of the crowds or whatever else. Put me in vacation mode. Maybe it pairs well with a meal I'm having. The temperance movement didn't work. Prohibition isn't the answer. Moderation is key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom