Monsters, Inc. - Laugh Floor Previews Has Begun

Buford

Neither do Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Cosmic Ray's, or Speedway. The only way they fit into Tomorrowland is through an overall theme of wacky creatures from far away, which Monsters Inc also fits. They may not come from outer space, but they're definitely aliens. So either MI fits, or everything else I just listed doesn't. It's one or the other.

(PS: I agree that this would probably fit better in MGM for the record, but that's another topic.) ;)

I think a comedy club would work GREAT in Pleasure Island!! :)

:lookaroun

SeanC

The change from screams to laughs was a METAPHOR for finding a new energy source that is more efficient and less destructive. Vision of the Future? Given today's world, that makes Laugh Floor the MOST thematically appropriate attraction in today's Tomorrowland! :lookaroun

Shaman

As of Dec. 1, the Laugh Floor public previews have begun. We (my brother and I) were actually quite lucky since we only happened to walk by the attraction since I noticed the brand-new sign out front. As we went past it, we noticed a large crowd of people coming out the old Timekeeper exit. At that point I was thinking "what the..?" We hung around a bit after the crowd left and the exit was guarded by a bunch of Tomorrowland cast members, security, and managers. We came back after a quick lunch and, sure enough, about 45 min. or so later, the doors opened and we all walked in through the exit...

If you'd like to avoid spoilers, do not scroll down....

Thanks for the report! :wave:

I don't get this expectation that every new attraction have a story to fit its location. Is there any backstory as to why a modern-day haunted mansion is in Colonial America? Is there any backstory explaining how a noisy speedway fits into a utopian vision of the future? What's the backstory explaining how a mountain illustrating scenes from the antebellum South is plopped down in a vision of America's expansion westward? It hasn't been a big deal before, so why is it now? Sometimes stuff just is where it is.

Great point! While I really hate to see TL being turned into an extension of Fantasyland...I don't have any problems with Laugh Floor...no matter how bad it is...it will be better than TimeKeeper....that's just what I think though.

dxwwf3

Wow! I loved Timekeeper....to each his own. Anyone get into the ride today? I'll shoot right over if there is more testing.

I think he meant a half closed/Meet and Greet version of Timekeeper. Or I could be way off and I would have to throw a couple of :eek: 's at his post ;) :lol:

Epcot82Guy

There is one argument that almost always seems to slip through these debates. And, for continuity, I'll use a modern Disney reference. In all it's Cheesy, synergy-marketing glory, the opening Trolley Show Song says it best:
"It's all pure magic wrapped up in Pixie Dust. Welcome to the place where dreams come true. A TIMELESS journey through lands of fantasy..."

Yes, they say all of them are lands of fantasy, so you can make the "everywhere is supposed to be fantasyland" argument. But, I don't think that is necessarily true. ALso, the Timeless part is what is lacking in some modern trends of WDW's MK. TL, when it opened, missed that point. It was designed to be a window into the future. But, by the sheer fact of reality, it became dated and... not timeless. If you look at the themes of the MK, they represent things that children, at least from the midlate century could relate to for their fantasies. Luckily, those were also things that their parents could relate to as well. Kids pretend to explore the jungles of the world; they pretended with Cowboys and Indians. They play pirates. They explore that spooky haunted mansion. They live out fairy tales. A science fiction-like future that was fantastical and based on enough reality without being tied down by it worked in that as well: Taking a rocket to the moon. Travelling through time. INteracting with aliens on a normal basis. This was the TIMELESS quality added to TL in the 1994 rehab.

Where we are going is somewhere different. We are timing ourselves much more than in the past. The Disney fantasy has taken over the timeless quality. That takes away from the "experience together" model that the Disney parks used to thrive off of. Everyone is ABLE to ride these attractions. Parents with small children can attempt to live vicariously through their childrens' enjoyment. But, what if people don't have these types of families? Monsters' Inc. and Stitch are part of the childhood, the fantasy of a small percentage of the current population. They aren't timeless. I really believe they will become dated just like a view of the future did in the early 1990s.

MK's approach seems to be about going to times and places not readily accessible to the average guest and about stories that exist solely there. Monsters' Inc. and Stitch were premised on a reality-based model even if they aren't "true". Once you start shoehorning in characters that are marketable, it is natural that guests may start questioning anything that involves them.

imagineer boy

There is one argument that almost always seems to slip through these debates. And, for continuity, I'll use a modern Disney reference. In all it's Cheesy, synergy-marketing glory, the opening Trolley Show Song says it best:
"It's all pure magic wrapped up in Pixie Dust. Welcome to the place where dreams come true. A TIMELESS journey through lands of fantasy..."

Yes, they say all of them are lands of fantasy, so you can make the "everywhere is supposed to be fantasyland" argument. But, I don't think that is necessarily true. ALso, the Timeless part is what is lacking in some modern trends of WDW's MK. TL, when it opened, missed that point. It was designed to be a window into the future. But, by the sheer fact of reality, it became dated and... not timeless. If you look at the themes of the MK, they represent things that children, at least from the midlate century could relate to for their fantasies. Luckily, those were also things that their parents could relate to as well. Kids pretend to explore the jungles of the world; they pretended with Cowboys and Indians. They play pirates. They explore that spooky haunted mansion. They live out fairy tales. A science fiction-like future that was fantastical and based on enough reality without being tied down by it worked in that as well: Taking a rocket to the moon. Travelling through time. INteracting with aliens on a normal basis. This was the TIMELESS quality added to TL in the 1994 rehab.

Where we are going is somewhere different. We are timing ourselves much more than in the past. The Disney fantasy has taken over the timeless quality. That takes away from the "experience together" model that the Disney parks used to thrive off of. Everyone is ABLE to ride these attractions. Parents with small children can attempt to live vicariously through their childrens' enjoyment. But, what if people don't have these types of families? Monsters' Inc. and Stitch are part of the childhood, the fantasy of a small percentage of the current population. They aren't timeless. I really believe they will become dated just like a view of the future did in the early 1990s.

MK's approach seems to be about going to times and places not readily accessible to the average guest and about stories that exist solely there. Monsters' Inc. and Stitch were premised on a reality-based model even if they aren't "true". Once you start shoehorning in characters that are marketable, it is natural that guests may start questioning anything that involves them.

Good post!:wave:

tirian

Thoughtful and well presented!

Shaman

Wow! I loved Timekeeper....to each his own. Anyone get into the ride today? I'll shoot right over if there is more testing.

I think he meant a half closed/Meet and Greet version of Timekeeper. Or I could be way off and I would have to throw a couple of :eek: 's at his post ;) :lol:

Both. TK was an interesting concept...but lets be honest, the whole standing up thing was a BIG negative...and the repeat value was a bit lacking as well. It was time for a change...I think Laugh Floor is an interesting "fresh" concept. Could it have gone somewhere else? Probably. Could they have used different characters? Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that its something new and something better than what became storage space...

Thoughtful post! :wave:

That said...I respectfully disagree with some of things you're saying....One of the most well known icons of Disney is MK's castle...also known as Cinderella's Castle. Character tie-ins is something Disney has always done...in some form or another.

Lets not forget that one of Walt Disney's creations Mickey Mouse...has always been a HUGE part of anything Disney.

Stitch and Monster's Inc...are stories (good or bad? Only time will tell). Like Snow White, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh...Sure its annoying that characters are invading Tomorrowland...but those stories do fit a sci-fi/futuristic/space theme (in my opinion anyway :lookaroun).

I'm sure the folks at Disney research all this stuff to death...They just don't take things away and implement the first idea that comes to mind (I hope not anyway...that wouldn't be smart business). :lol:

I miss AE...and hate SGE...Disney could always make up for it by adding a totally new attraction somewhere in TL with an original story and characters...but hey the last time they did that (EE) some people were blasting them for not including enough thrills, effects, colors and lights....:dazzle:

*shrug*

Epcot82Guy

That said...I respectfully disagree with some of things you're saying....One of the most well known icons of Disney is MK's castle...also known as Cinderella's Castle. Character tie-ins is something Disney has always done...in some form or another.

Lets not forget that one of Walt Disney's creations Mickey Mouse...has always been a HUGE part of anything Disney.

Stitch and Monster's Inc...are stories (good or bad? Only time will tell). Like Snow White, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh...Sure its annoying that characters are invading Tomorrowland...but those stories do fit a sci-fi/futuristic/space theme (in my opinion anyway :lookaroun).

I'm sure the folks at Disney research all this stuff to death...They just don't take things away and implement the first idea that comes to mind (I hope not anyway...that wouldn't be smart business). :lol:

I miss AE...and hate SGE...Disney could always make up for it by adding a totally new attraction somewhere in TL with an original story and characters...but hey the last time they did that (EE) some people were blasting them for not including enough thrills, effects, colors and lights....:dazzle:

*shrug*

Just as a bit of a counterpoint...
While Cinderella Castle is tied to a character, I would bet at least 70% of guests would not know that off hand. It is subtly presented and not necessary to understand or appreciate the castle as the anchor/icon of a Disney park. It's a Kingdom: likely the one fantasy every child has had in some manner.

But, I understand your point. The character thing is a new annoyance to me. I love Splash and it fits. I was also a kid when it came to FL, so that may explain why. I also can see the ability to implement these popular characters, but it comes off as money making when it isn't explicit. And, I would agree that Splash was the first major culprit for this. At least it was a huge, headliner attraction. The newer creations have not been. I would not be as opposed with the implementation of some timeless-worthy stories. I think Philharmagic was a wonderful thing. I think Toontown is a disgrace because the Fab-Five are timeless and deserve more than they have. I think Pooh is clearly become near on-par with them, so it can slide in and fit.

The problem is that the late 1990s brought a period when the answer to low attendance was character cutouts. "If it is DISNEY it's what people want." That damaged the feeling of timelessness. It needed to be relevant, but relevancy changes almost as quickly as technology. So, now that they seem to be moving at least somewhat away from this, any use of the characters come with a much larger level of skepticism. Had Tiki, Carpets, Woody's Roundup, SGE, etc. not come before, I think the feeling may have been different.

dxwwf3

Both. TK was an interesting concept...but lets be honest, the whole standing up thing was a BIG negative...and the repeat value was a bit lacking as well. It was time for a change...I think Laugh Floor is an interesting "fresh" concept. Could it have gone somewhere else? Probably. Could they have used different characters? Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that its something new and something better than what became storage space...

Personally, I do not understand the whole standing up argument AT ALL. I mean I get what you're saying, but people stand in queues without complaints, but I'm more than happy to stand for CircleVision shows. For me, I would rather watch The Timekeeper and O' Canada over Festival of the Lion King and Voyage of the Little Mermaid 10 TO 1! I could watch a CircleVision film 50 times and never get bored because there is so much to see and you will have a different experience every time you see it. For me, The Timekeeper is my 3rd favorite Magic Kingdom attraction ever behind Splash Mountain and the obvious. I loved the characters, music, cinematography, and storyline.

And yes I agree that putting in The Laugh Floor will be an improvement of the way The Timekeeper was treated over it's last few years. No doubt about it.

*shrug*

I completely agree. That would certainly be nice, but I don't expect anything non-film based in Tomorrowland for quite a while. Hopefully I'll be wrong.

And I think the small number of complaints EE got on the net were due to buying into Disney's hype. I've sort of learned now that 99% of attractions are never as good as the Disney marketing machine would have you believe. So if you don't buy into the hype, I think you'll enjoy the attractions much more. Perfect example, if I expect EE to be a big, intense thrill ride, I definitely would have been disappointed. But now I can safely say that EE is one of my favorite attractions anywhere.

dxwwf3

The character thing is a new annoyance to me. I love Splash and it fits. I was also a kid when it came to FL, so that may explain why. I also can see the ability to implement these popular characters, but it comes off as money making when it isn't explicit. And, I would agree that Splash was the first major culprit for this. At least it was a huge, headliner attraction. The newer creations have not been. I would not be as opposed with the implementation of some timeless-worthy stories. I think Philharmagic was a wonderful thing. I think Toontown is a disgrace because the Fab-Five are timeless and deserve more than they have. I think Pooh is clearly become near on-par with them, so it can slide in and fit.

The problem is that the late 1990s brought a period when the answer to low attendance was character cutouts. "If it is DISNEY it's what people want." That damaged the feeling of timelessness. It needed to be relevant, but relevancy changes almost as quickly as technology. So, now that they seem to be moving at least somewhat away from this, any use of the characters come with a much larger level of skepticism. Had Tiki, Carpets, Woody's Roundup, SGE, etc. not come before, I think the feeling may have been different.

100% spot on, in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom