Monsters, Inc. - Laugh Floor Previews Has Begun

imagineer boy

Wilt Dasney said:
Maybe. I don't see why it sticks out so much. Tomorrowland has basically become the wacky alien/wacky robot corner of the park. Wacky monsters (aliens, in their own right) don't seem that far off the mark.

Monsters inc does not take place in the future, in space, and it overall just doesn't have a sci-fi feel to it. Plus its adding way too many characters to one land.

imagineer99

I think that the Turtle Talk Technology--i.e. a living, interactive cartoon character -- is just fascinating.

I just don't understand why people are against this attraction. It's not like Disney could have put another ride in there. And, instead of placing a stagnant show that lacks "re-watchability," they're giving us an entire interactive experience. Not to mention, Monsters Inc. fits in Tomorrowland much better than the Speedway and the Carousel of Progress (this belongs in Epcot, not in the fantastical future of Tomorrowland).

As for the reuse of technology, Disney always reuses technology. No cries of fowl are heard every time a new roller coaster is added or a flume is used. Why should this be any different? This tech. is AMAZING stuff. I say use it wherever it fits.

I for one, can't wait for this attraction. Now if only we can at least attempt to quell the "bah-humbuging" until this thing officially opens. ;)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Monsters inc does not take place in the future, in space, and it overall just doesn't have a sci-fi feel to it. Plus its adding way too many characters to one land.

OK, I'll bite...

How do you know where or when Monsters Inc takes place?

And what possible relevance does Disney adding characters to a land have? Or, for that matter, how can Disney, an organization primarily built around characters, add "too many" to a given land?

Expo_Seeker40

Good report about the attraction and it is good to hear everyone's opinions about Laugh Floor. Discussions can be good. :animwink:

I hope I can experience the Laugh Floor either in test and adjust or in its final form in January. If I can't...oh well...there will always be another time..and people will continue to post reports...and eventually photos and video will come online.

Are my expectations high for this show.....not really....of all the times I have been to MK since stitch's great escape has opened....I've yet to ride SGE! :hammer:

This coming trip I will ride SGE, and eventually get to the Laugh Floor.

But remember what came before them.

the area for Laugh Floor housed circlevision films. While some could say that timekeeper and alien encounter were appropriate for tomorrowland 94, the circlevisions films before timekeeper, and flight to the moon/mission to mars before alien encounter were rides either too outdated, scientific, or bland.

We must remember that Tomorrowland is no longer about a serious look into the future. It, since 1994, is a place of whimsical, scifi, spoofy, look at a future that never was but always will be that we can experience in today's world.

While many of the architectual elements of old tomorrowland exist, along with speedway, space mtn, cop, star jets, and peoplemover....other elements combine like buzz, SGE, and soon to be laugh floor.

HOWEVER, if laugh floor does not become a popular ride, you will have that and SGE across the way as two not so popular attractions causing people to cram into buzz, wander over to CoP and wonder what the heck it is, cram onto the peoplemover, cram onto astro orbiter, and space mtn, and speedway muwhahahaha. :lookaroun

anyway....as far as a backstory goes, I assume the monsters opened a door and found themselves in tomorrowland. :eek:

As far as people saying...characters this...characters that....yes would non disney movie characters be nice in certain areas of disney parks...ABOSULTELY....and I agree with that, but we will have to see what becomes of the laugh floor in terms of popularity. :wave:

imagineer boy

Just to clarify a few things, the Indy speedway does have some revelance to being in Tomorrowland. There are a few signs here and there located in the qeue that say things like the first alien to win an Indy race and that kind of thing. I think the imagineers were planning to replace it with something more futuristic but didn't have the budget. I am hoping that they'll turn it into an Autopia with electric, futuristic looking cars and futuristic scenery.

CoP, while I agree would work better in Epcot, is apart of the "Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society." Which in a way integrates itsself into tomorrowland as museum.

Connor002

Just to clarify a few things, the Indy speedway does have some revelance to being in Tomorrowland. There are a few signs here and there located in the qeue that say things like the first alien to win an Indy race and that kind of thing. I think the imagineers were planning to replace it with something more futuristic but didn't have the budget. I am hoping that they'll turn it into an Autopia with electric, futuristic looking cars and futuristic scenery.

CoP, while I agree would work better in Epcot, is apart of the "Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society." Which in a way integrates itsself into tomorrowland as museum.

So, in that case, The Speedway and CoP's justification for being in Tomorrowland is as flimsy as that of the Laugh Floor.

dxwwf3

Personally, I know that American Journeys and Dreamflight really didn't fit perfectly into Tomorrowland. So I really don't see that as a problem for TLF. My thing is, I have yet to see Turtle Talk because I have no interest in the show whatsoever. You can't blame Disney for copying a popular technology. But I have no interest Turtle Talk, The Laugh Floor, or any other similar attraction. I just don't see what the big deal is. But I guess I'm not the target audience for this type of show and that's fine.

LilDucky

How do you know where or when Monsters Inc takes place?
Nice point :)

In the movie, Montropolis was going through a small energy crisis, and by the end of the movie, they had discovered a better way to harness energy. They figured out that laughs were a better energy source than screams, so really, you could say that this new discovery is the future of Montropolis. You know.... their tomorrow :animwink: :lol: That's how I think the Laugh Floor fits with the theme.

I think we're being too realistic with this. Sometimes, you gotta suspend all belief and just start being creative and imaginative. Make your own explanation for things.

and bottomline, I'm just glad theyre doing something with that space. I've never even seen Turtle Talk, but I hear the place is always full! :lol:

Wilt Dasney

If that's all it takes to satisfy you that something belongs thematically, then all they'd have to do is stick up a sign saying "Tomorrowland's Laugh Floor" to make it fit. Maybe they have.

Skippy

I would say a majority of the attractions in Tomorrowland could use some better placement in their storylines. They fit the theme, but still seem to be just stuck in there. Buzz Lightyear: space, futuristic sure... but why are we going with Buzz to fight Zurg? Tomorrowland Speedway doesn't fit much at all, while CoP is about progress and looking towards the future, why is it part of the Tomorrowland community, the city that held "the future that never was" when it opened in 1994?

askmike1

Humor is extremely subjective, and being funny (especially on the spot) isn't easy.
Same can be said about Jungle Cruise, yet that is one of the most loved attractions in MK.

1) The characters in MI are aliens whether you agree with it or not. They are not of any species that live on earth, they live in a city found nowhere on earth, they are aliens.
2) How are they adding too many characters? They remove one set of characters (Timekeeper, 9eye, Verne, etc) and replace it with another (Mike, Roz, etc). It's not adding charaters, it's changing characters.

We must remember that Tomorrowland is no longer about a serious look into the future. It, since 1994, is a place of whimsical, scifi, spoofy, look at a future that never was but always will be that we can experience in today's world.
Exactly!

yes would non disney movie characters be nice in certain areas of disney parks...ABOSULTELY
But the second Disney puts them in the park, aren't they Disney Characters? The characters from AE are all Disney Characters. The tiki birds are Disney Characters. Tom Morrow & the Yeti in EE.....Disney Characters. Just because they weren't in movies doesn't mean they aren't Disney Characters.

My thing is, I have yet to see Turtle Talk because I have no interest in the show whatsoever. ....But I have no interest Turtle Talk, The Laugh Floor, or any other similar attraction. I just don't see what the big deal is.
Maybe you would see the "big deal" if you actually saw it. That's like saying "I've never been on ToT before, I don't see what the big deal is." I mean sure, the paper description looks quite boring (you go in an elevator that goes up and down a few times), but t he actual experience is something you just can't explain. I think you should give TLF a chance. What's the point of not experiencing an attraction just because you "don't get" the technology? You remind me of those people that refuse to see movies like Pirates or Spider-man just because they are popular.

dxwwf3

Maybe you would see the "big deal" if you actually saw it. That's like saying "I've never been on ToT before, I don't see what the big deal is." I mean sure, the paper description looks quite boring (you go in an elevator that goes up and down a few times), but t he actual experience is something you just can't explain. I think you should give TLF a chance. What's the point of not experiencing an attraction just because you "don't get" the technology? You remind me of those people that refuse to see movies like Pirates or Spider-man just because they are popular.

I've seen the show on video before, I just haven't waited in that unbelievable line to see it. I plan on seeing The Laugh Floor as long as I don't have to wait to see it.

I think you're also being a little far fetched with the Tower of Terror analogy :lol:. It might be that way to someone who knows nothing about the parks and cares nothing about story, but that's a different story. Turtle Talk is a very simple show, but the technology behind it certainly is not. And it does seem that the kids get a kick out of it (in both videos I've seen) and that's the important thing. I just personally would rather do something else while I'm in Epcot. Hopefully once the show moves into a bigger theater, the lines will become tolerable and I'll check it out.

Expo_Seeker40

I said Disney movie characters in the parks.

The disney theme parks allow the imagineers to create new characters, even unique ones, strictly to the theme parks.

While yes, it is fine to have disney movie characters in disney theme parks, it seems that movie characters are starting to overtake the concept of a balance of unique theme park created characters and characters created for disney movies.

The entire If You Had Wings/Could Fly/Dream Flight/ Take Flight... were.... I dunno what they were, but not disney character movies. Actually they never even belonged in old or new tomorrowland. More like Epcot. :hammer:

However, Buzz appropiately replaced them.

Peoplemover and astro orbiter don't fit this category.

CoP is a unique character and theme attraction, part of tomorrowland 94 because it is the theater presented by the tomorrowland metro retro historical society along with the EPCOT model.

Flight to the Moon and Mission to Mars as well as AE were all unique characters done for the theme parks.

Timekeeper was as well.

Space Mountain does not involve disney movie characters

and God only knows why the speedway even came about, and not the autopia....probably Goodyear's powerful sponsorship...

So to me the foundation of Tomorrowland 94 was a very good one, and timekeeper should have been in a new film, AE was a good adult ride, buzz was a fine replacement, etc

So while I won't mind riding or experiencing SGE or eventually the laugh floor, I do agree that the loss of unique theme park characters, especially in tomorrowland is unfortunate.

csm

Um. There are two character-based attractions in Tomorrowland. Monsters makes three. Three is too many? Have you heard of Fantastyland? Because there's more than three.. and Disneyland's Fanastyland has even more than that.

It's not how many characters - it's how they are used. If it's done right, there's no such thing as too much. People here are so hung up on what *they* think should be there - but if they had the vision to create that sort of thing they wouldn't be sitting on the internet complaining about it, they would be out designing attractions! I'm not excited about Monsters, but that has nothing to do with the character / setting / theming / etc. I'm just not a big fan of stand-up comedy in general.

And Carousel of Progress doesn't have a future / space / overall sci-fi feel. Shall we remove it?

Teenchy

I think Tomorrowland is always going to have a difficult time finding things to fit into its theme. As technology now changes so quickly its hard to keep relevant and still be looking to the future.

I always here alot of criticism of things that go into Tomorrowland but never many ideas that would hold up to the test of time.

I feel we can all find a way to make our favorite rides fit into something because we want them to last forever. I do this myself with COP. I look at it not only as a classic ride that should be a WDW mainstay but as a look back at changes in technology and how it has effected us and what we can imagine will be invented that will change our world i nthe future.

imagineer boy

csm said:
Um. There are two character-based attractions in Tomorrowland. Monsters makes three. Three is too many? Have you heard of Fantastyland? Because there's more than three.. and Disneyland's Fanastyland has even more than that.

That's Fantasyland's main purpose. Its themed to Disney characters. The other lands are basically meant to be ( mostly ) character free. Tomorrowland's purpose is not to have Disney characters. Its to present a vision of the future. And right now, its looking like the future is going to be invaded by Disney characters.

It's not how many characters - it's how they are used. If it's done right, there's no such thing as too much. People here are so hung up on what *they* think should be there - but if they had the vision to create that sort of thing they wouldn't be sitting on the internet complaining about it, they would be out designing attractions! I'm not excited about Monsters, but that has nothing to do with the character / setting / theming / etc. I'm just not a big fan of stand-up comedy in general.

You're right! I should stop complaining on the internet, quit highschool, move away from my home town family and friends, and be out there designing attractions. Excelent suggestion.

csm said:
And Carousel of Progress doesn't have a future / space / overall sci-fi feel. Shall we remove it?

I wasn't broad enough. COP presents man's dream of the future throughout the years similar to how the rest of Tomorrowland is themed, which is dreams of the future. Therefor, that spirit conveys itsself into the Tomorrowland mold. Monsters inc has nothing to do dreaming of the future, future potential, or anything of the such. All it is is children's fairy tale monsters putting on a lame comedy show. I personally think it would've been alot better off at MGM. MGM is in desperate need of an attractions while the MK already has plenty.

Wilt Dasney

Monsters inc has nothing to do dreaming of the future, future potential, or anything of the such.

Neither do Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Cosmic Ray's, or Speedway. The only way they fit into Tomorrowland is through an overall theme of wacky creatures from far away, which Monsters Inc also fits. They may not come from outer space, but they're definitely aliens. So either MI fits, or everything else I just listed doesn't. It's one or the other.

(PS: I agree that this would probably fit better in MGM for the record, but that's another topic.) ;)

Connor002

That's Fantasyland's main purpose. Its themed to Disney characters. The other lands are basically meant to be ( mostly ) character free.
My original statement was too bitterly sarcastic, so I self-censored it.
In it's place: Um, no. :wave: I think that this criteria is (mostly) in your own head.
IBO said:
Tomorrowland's purpose is not to have Disney characters. Its to present a vision of the future. And right now, its looking like the future is going to be invaded by Disney characters.
Ahem, "The Future that never was."
IB said:
You're right! I should stop complaining on the internet, quit highschool, move away from my home town family and friends, and be out there designing attractions.
I suggest not.
But let's not go there.
IB said:
I wasn't broad enough. COP presents man's dream of the future throughout the years similar to how the rest of Tomorrowland is themed, which is dreams of the future. Therefor, that spirit conveys itsself into the Tomorrowland mold. Monsters inc has nothing to do dreaming of the future, future potential, or anything of the such. All it is is children's fairy tale monsters putting on a lame comedy show. I personally think it would've been alot better off at MGM. MGM is in desperate need of an attractions while the MK already has plenty.
Hmm... funny thing, most of CoP takes place in the past. So... no Tomorrowland for you, CoP!

MI uses an advanced energy source, it's of Sci-fi nature, and most importantly, is filling a previously wasted area of space in Tomorrowland. At least they're doing something there, eh? Or do you prefer watching nostalgic attractions deteriorate?

imagineer boy

Why do I get myself into these debates? :lol: I wish we could talk using our voices on these forums. Its so much easier than putting it into words.

LilDucky

Monsters inc has nothing to do dreaming of the future, future potential, or anything of the such. All it is is children's fairy tale monsters putting on a lame comedy show. I personally think it would've been alot better off at MGM. MGM is in desperate need of an attractions while the MK already has plenty.
It has plenty to do with future potential. The Monsters scrapped the idea of using screams for energy because laughter had more potential. Ask yourself why these monsters are putting on a comedy show. They arent putting on a comedy show just to put on a comedy show... they are trying to collect energy.

and I dont think it being placed in MGM would have made a big difference. Different location....different gripe. Right now, the location is the excuse du jour. Midway Mania/Madness is going in there, so there would of been an uproar over building two pixar based rides in the same park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom