Monsters Inc coaster greenlit and Spain coming to world showcase?!?

fillerup

From the article:

"Not many details have surfaced about this possible ride, but fans are agog that the popular Aerosmith-themed Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, also in the theme park, may have some competition."

Ok, I'm not agog. Raise your hand if you're agog....

raven

Sure it wasn't Scott Keating taking more of his amazing aerial photos of WDW?

Between their own master site plans, satellite imagery they have access to (including on the web) and sites like Bird's Eye, it seems odd that WDW would need to take aerial photos of WS to see what it looks like.

Regardless, the plat between Morocco and Spain would be a nice location. It appears to only be housing a few trailers and provides storage for a bunch of kiosks.

No. The arial photos are actually being used by Disney. And the kiosks behind the area between France and Morocco (not Spain) are for Food & Wine and F&G Festivals. This is currently were they are being stored. Before that they were kept out at the edge of the Wonders paking lot. But the area in question isn't exactly the largest area available for a country. If they were to put one there imagine how tight (narrow) the front of it would be in order to have a prominant stature in World Showcase.

Rather than queezing in more countries into these open ares I'd more like to see the areas being used to house a show building for attractions for the current countries.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No. The arial photos are actually being used by Disney. And the kiosks behind the area between France and Morocco are for Food & Wine and F&G Festivals. This is currently were they are being stored. Before that they were kept out at the edge of the Wonders paking lot. But the area in question isn't exactly the larges area available for a country. If they were to put one there imagine how tight (narrow) the front of it would be in order to have a prominant stature in World Showcase.

Rather than queezing in more countries into these open ares I'd more like to see the areas being used to house a show building for attractions for the current countries.

Germany?

Add anything on some of the little cafe shops in front of Chef de France being moved?

PeteNY

why don't they use the old Millennium Pavilion for a england attraction, I remember it housing a few movies and motion ride.

raven

why don't they use the old Millennium Pavilion for a england attraction, I remember it housing a few movies and motion ride.

The company is using it for conventions, wedding receptions, proms and other gatherings. It's also used to house official company events.

Tom

Beta Return
No. The arial photos are actually being used by Disney. And the kiosks behind the area between France and Morocco (not Spain) are for Food & Wine and F&G Festivals. This is currently were they are being stored. Before that they were kept out at the edge of the Wonders paking lot. But the area in question isn't exactly the largest area available for a country. If they were to put one there imagine how tight (narrow) the front of it would be in order to have a prominant stature in World Showcase.

Interesting about the photos. I guess they must not have a decent archive, which is surprising.

I figured those were F&W/F&G kiosks. They just looked too familiar (which is odd, since I've never seen the tops of them) :lol:

It looks like the only plat that is larger and has more frontage is the lay-down area by the Illuminations marina - which I would presume they'd hold onto as long as possible since I'm sure it provides some nice breathing room for globe and barge repairs.

There's a lot next to Mexico that appears to be full of trailers and construction staging for the restaurant. It's decently sized. Then there's the lot next to Italy, but it looks like it has an actual building sitting on it. Lastly, I see one between Japan and Morocco, but it's very narrow.

I agree that using some of those (especially the narrow ones) for show buildings would be much more exciting than a new country with no ride (or another show-stopper like El Rio Del Tiempo) :)

photoflight

Sure it wasn't Scott Keating taking more of his amazing aerial photos of WDW?

Between their own master site plans, satellite imagery they have access to (including on the web) and sites like Bird's Eye, it seems odd that WDW would need to take aerial photos of WS to see what it looks like.

Nope, wasn't me.

Companies regularly have high-resolution aerial photography done of their property. Comparatively the satellite stuff isn't that great. The conventional aerials are in 3D and are used to make very accurate drawings and maps of whatever is there - not just to "see" things but to actually go into CAD to start designing new buildings, infrastructure, whatever.

So, if they're doing decent aerial survey work they might indeed be in the planning stages and design stages for something.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
From the article:

"Not many details have surfaced about this possible ride, but fans are agog that the popular Aerosmith-themed Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, also in the theme park, may have some competition."

Ok, I'm not agog. Raise your hand if you're agog....

:wave:
My names Mr Ferret and i'm agog

NoChesterHester

Borat Meet and Greet = Funny

In all seriousness, no one should complain about any country being added. I know I would welcome the addition. For the record, I truly enjoy my World Showcase experience. I find it very soothing and part of that is the lack of rides. Enjoy it as an immaculately themed adventure.

I find it very plausible that the Monsters Inc Coaster would move forward. MGM would benefit greatly from its addition.

Tom

Beta Return
Nope, wasn't me.

Companies regularly have high-resolution aerial photography done of their property. Comparatively the satellite stuff isn't that great. The conventional aerials are in 3D and are used to make very accurate drawings and maps of whatever is there - not just to "see" things but to actually go into CAD to start designing new buildings, infrastructure, whatever.

So, if they're doing decent aerial survey work they might indeed be in the planning stages and design stages for something.

Very interesting. Had no idea that aerial photography could be so versatile! I'm just used to plain 'ol CAD plans :p

I wish it HAD been you, so I could look forward to staring at them for hours! :lol:

raven

Interesting about the photos. I guess they must not have a decent archive, which is surprising.

They do have archives. But the arial photos are current (including the new Pizzaria in Italy). Although the largest plot of land is between China and Germany (were the African Outpost is), there may be some sort of safety issue with building too closely to the propane tanks and pyro storage facility located directly behind it.

Tom

Beta Return
They do have archives. But the arial photos are current (including the new Pizzaria in Italy). Although the largest plot of land is between China and Germany (were the African Outpost is), there may be some sort of safety issue with building too closely to the propane tanks and pyro storage facility located directly behind it.

True dat.

raven

Interesting enough, Google Earth has an updated photo of WS as well showing the pizzaria building complete.

CaptainWinter

There could be a Borat meet-&-greet.

That's practically an E-ticket right there.

Seriously, though, WS doesn't need any more countries. It needs attractions in all its existing attractionless countries: J, G, I, M, UK. Let's beat the drum for those, starting with Japan and Germany.

World Traveler

They don't have to be E-ticket attractions either in order to pull people back there the whole day rather than just for dinner and illuminations. How about a Samurai / Ninja stunt show in a small theater in Japan? Put a double-decker carousel in England. You would think that the returns for these attractions and additional pull in World Showcase would be substantial enough that it would have happened long ago.

AEfx

:lol:

He probably read it here. Let's all start a thread saying "Coming next: KAZAKHSTAN!" See how long it takes to show up in the papers.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Just like some of the bloggers who write about Disney do.

What's funny, someone will have to do a search, but I recall maybe two-ish weeks ago there was one thread talking about future additions and both Spain and Monsters, Inc. were mentioned in the same breath.

All that said...of course I am aware of the long-standing rumors of a Monsters, Inc. coaster. Now, is this a coaster, or a "coaster"? A coaster is Everest, RnR, etc. - a "coaster" is that stupid spinning Dinoland thing or Mullholland Falls at DCA.

If it's some "let's tilt-a-whirl you" gimmick coaster I'm going to be very uninterested, since I hope to not have a protein spill of everything I've ever eaten in my life at once.

SeaCastle

A little known fact is that the strips of land on either side of the American Adventurev were originally designated for use as canals to connect the current World Showcase Lagoon to another one that would be built be built to house more countries. Seeing that the fire station and CBR take up part of the land behind EPCOT now, (and that they have enough trouble filling in even the current pavilions), it is doubtful that we'll ever see that happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom