News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

erasure fan1

Which would betray any stated concerns concerns about capacity. It would show that they actually like the current experience of Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Correct. Disney has absolutely no concern for guest satisfaction. If they did, they would have addressed capacity when star wars was opening. They have no problems charging full boat for a middling experience. As I've said, you can hate the Muppets or you can love them. But as park fans, NO ONE should be ok with them swapping out the Muppets. Or anything else for that matter. There's just no need to.

SJN1279

Muppet vision was one of my favorites in the early 90's, but I'm fine if it leaves.
The preshow was always better than the actual attraction, Sam Eagle steals the show though!

I never understood why no Animal or Rowlf though.

WoundedDreamer

This boiling controversy and panic over the placement of the Monster's Inc. land could have been mitigated with a better D23 presentation. Disney Parks fans like concrete details. If you're going to eliminate a fan-favorite attraction, let people know in the presentation. Alternatively, if this is going into an area that will leave Muppets undisturbed, let people know in the presentation. How could you let people know? In D'Amaro's two hour grueling monstrosity (no offense to the Monsters of Monstropolis) he could have put a map up with the rough project boundary area. That way everyone would know where this project is supposed to be placed. Then we could respond accordingly.

Theme parks are holistic experiences. An attraction cannot exist divorced from the greater whole. Knowing where the attraction is going to be placed is just as important as knowing what the attraction is going to be. Looking at this forum, it seems like the evidence is pretty clear that the Muppets are on the chopping block. Why wasn't this communicated?

Then we come to the other problem with this attraction. I was watching the live thread when this new ride was announced, and within minutes of this attraction's announcement I was gratified to see @Casper Gutman point out something that the executives and creatives at Disney should have thought of months ago. This type of attraction is not what Disney's Hollywood Studios needs. Not at all.

Why?

DHS has an abundance of attractions with height restrictions. Let's go through them:

1) Tower of Terror (40 Inches)
2) RnR (48 Inches)
3) SDD (38 Inches)
4) Alien Swirling (32 Inches)
5) Smuggler's Fun (38 Inches)
6) Rise (40 Inches)
7) Star Tours (40 Inches)

Even the 38 Inch height requirements are keeping out a large portion of 3 year olds. And once a child can safely ride a thrill ride with a given height requirement, they still may not want to. Height requirements tend to be a proxy for intensity, so temperamentally a child might not want to ride a more intense attraction. Intense attractions limit their addressable audience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against more intense attractions in a theme park. I believe that having a well-rounded slate of attractions is important. That includes rides like Tower of Terror and RnR. But the Hollywood Studios ride roster skews more intense. The only rides that don't have a height requirement are Midway Mania and Runaway Railway. This is made less problematic with the many shows in the park, but the obvious bias towards intensity remains.

To correct for this imbalance, Hollywood Studios needs rides that have no height restriction. Moreover, Hollywood Studios has an acute problem with wait times. More capacity is desperately needed. An example of a suitable ride to fill this niche is the Little Mermaid attraction at Magic Kingdom. It's a strong mix of high capacity and welcoming to all ages. Alternatively, multiple smaller attractions like the Fantasyland dark rides would accomplish something similar. That would give families more things to do and get people off of paths.

To add insult to injury, this Monster's Inc. ride is going to be taking an attraction that is open to all ages (Muppets) and replacing it with a ride that will probably have a 40 Inch height restriction. This is actually making the park less welcoming to families with small children. And because it's replacing a high capacity theater show, it won't make a significant difference to park crowd levels.

Time and again we have seen Disney and WDI build attractions that seek to push technological boundaries and showcase their design prowess. This isn't a bad thing at all. But it has to be bounded by an understanding of what the park needs. Disney's Hollywood Studios does not need another bespoke E Ticket. It has a robust D and E Ticket lineup (Tower of Terror, RnR, Rise, Smuggler's Fun, Mickey, Slinky, Midway Mania, Star Tours). These technologically complex rides have been added while the high-capacity dark rides and Fantasyland dark rides that built Disney into a juggernaut are missed.

This is not to say that Monster's Inc. won't be fun, engaging, and popular. But I am not at all convinced this attraction is what Hollywood Studios needs. Especially if it comes at the cost of a family friendly attraction.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
This boiling controversy and panic over the placement of the Monster's Inc. land could have been mitigated with a better D23 presentation. Disney Parks fans like concrete details. If you're going to eliminate a fan-favorite attraction, let people know in the presentation. Alternatively, if this is going into an area that will leave Muppets undisturbed, let people know in the presentation. How could you let people know? In D'Amaro's two hour grueling monstrosity (no offense to the Monsters of Monstropolis) he could have put a map up with the rough project boundary area. That way everyone would know where this project is supposed to be placed. Then we could respond accordingly.

Theme parks are holistic experiences. An attraction cannot exist divorced from the greater whole. Knowing where the attraction is going to be placed is just as important as knowing what the attraction is going to be. Looking at this forum, it seems like the evidence is pretty clear that the Muppets are on the chopping block. Why wasn't this communicated?

Then we come to the other problem with this attraction. I was watching the live thread when this new ride was announced, and within minutes of this attraction's announcement I was gratified to see @Casper Gutman point out something that the executives and creatives at Disney should have thought of months ago. This type of attraction is not what Disney's Hollywood Studios needs. Not at all.

Why?

DHS has an abundance of attractions with height restrictions. Let's go through them:

1) Tower of Terror (40 Inches)
2) RnR (48 Inches)
3) SDD (38 Inches)
4) Alien Swirling (32 Inches)
5) Smuggler's Fun (38 Inches)
6) Rise (40 Inches)
7) Star Tours (40 Inches)

Even the 38 Inch height requirements are keeping out a large portion of 3 year olds. And once a child can safely ride a thrill ride with a given height requirement, they still may not want to. Height requirements tend to be a proxy for intensity, so temperamentally a child might not want to ride a more intense attraction. Intense attractions limit their addressable audience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against more intense attractions in a theme park. I believe that having a well-rounded slate of attractions is important. That includes rides like Tower of Terror and RnR. But the Hollywood Studios ride roster skews more intense. The only rides that don't have a height requirement are Midway Mania and Runaway Railway. This is made less problematic with the many shows in the park, but the obvious bias towards intensity remains.

To correct for this imbalance, Hollywood Studios needs rides that have no height restriction. Moreover, Hollywood Studios has an acute problem with wait times. More capacity is desperately needed. An example of a suitable ride to fill this niche is the Little Mermaid attraction at Magic Kingdom. It's a strong mix of high capacity and welcoming to all ages. Alternatively, multiple smaller attractions like the Fantasyland dark rides would accomplish something similar. That would give families more things to do and get people off of paths.

To add insult to injury, this Monster's Inc. ride is going to be taking an attraction that is open to all ages (Muppets) and replacing it with a ride that will probably have a 40 Inch height restriction. This is actually making the park less welcoming to families with small children. And because it's replacing a high capacity theater show, it won't make a significant difference to park crowd levels.

Time and again we have seen Disney and WDI build attractions that seek to push technological boundaries and showcase their design prowess. This isn't a bad thing at all. But it has to be bounded by an understanding of what the park needs. Disney's Hollywood Studios does not need another bespoke E Ticket. It has a robust D and E Ticket lineup (Tower of Terror, RnR, Rise, Smuggler's Fun, Mickey, Slinky, Midway Mania, Star Tours). These technologically complex rides have been added while the high-capacity dark rides and Fantasyland dark rides that built Disney into a juggernaut are missed.

This is not to say that Monster's Inc. won't be fun, engaging, and popular. But I am not at all convinced this attraction is what Hollywood Studios needs. Especially if it comes at the cost of a family friendly attraction.
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor.

Sneaky

TC was the first and only insider to share the Monsters Inc. coaster before D23. I think he probably has a source close to the project. And that source is apparently saying it’s going in Animation Courtyard.
people here were wrong about d23. Moana boat comes to mind. And nobody believed the existing door coaster rumor too here, when it was mentioned.

easyrowrdw

The show they may move them to will need to be redone anyway, so the calculus is different.

That theater by RnRC is so sparsely attended that I can’t see them paying to put anything else there. It’s remarkable we got that amazing Lightning McQueen AA.
It's a bit more than just a theater with some simple overlays. There's built in tech all over the theater. To relocate this show to a new building would cost millions. My guess would be 30-50 million all said and done.

TLDR: If they take the show out, it's gone forever.
Have they considered just putting the Muppets theater on a flatbed and just driving it somewhere else? I’m pretty sure I’ve that kinda thing on the History Channel.

erasure fan1

If you're going to eliminate a fan-favorite attraction, let people know in the presentation
Even the misfits that are running things at Disney aren't that dumb. I agree that being up front with your plans is the right way. But if they said, muppets, rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island were being deep sixed. I can almost guarantee there would be a very bad reaction during the presentation and they knew it. They wanted the, look at all the amazing stuff Disney is doing! headlines.

GenChi

Muppetvision is going to die eventually. If it doesn't die for Monsters now it's going to die for Incredibles, Zootopia, Star Wars expansion, whatever down the road. We all know it deep down.

If this is it I'll be sad but at least this Monsters concept is so cool it can be a worthy replacement. The one thing, however, is they need find Muppets a new place for a new show as soon as possible if MV is going. If not they deserve as much anger as they will get.

Winter

Honestly if they can come up with some half-baked reason the Monsters are in Tomorrowland, surely they could come up with a way to explain why the Muppets would be in Monstropolis. There's tons of crossover - Sweetums is a Monster, Frank Oz is in Monsters Inc, Steve Buscemi is basically a Muppet..
It'd likely be at the edge of the land. Just put a door facade at the front and say it's a door that leads to the Muppets

Though I'd rather them just put a new show there at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom