News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sneaky

It was early in the morning before the Parks Blog had said anything about replacing vs green field development.

The strongest concept I've heard is "Muppets American History" to replace Hall of Presidents. That checks a lot of boxes:
  • It's an IP Disney owns
  • Half the country hates HOP at any given moment in time
  • HOP is the lowest-rated attraction in WDW for several guest demographics
  • The current HOP really has no "here's where we go from here" opportunities. They're not going to turn it into a musical. It's just not a subject that a lot of people care about enough to see.
Plus, the Muppets are viewed as largely apolitical by most Americans. They could tell the good parts and the bad parts (and avoid others entirely) in a way that most people would enjoy.
Hey, since multiple people have refuted or alluded to this rumor, is it ok if I make a thread on it?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
The strongest concept I've heard is "Muppets American History" to replace Hall of Presidents. That checks a lot of boxes:
  • It's an IP Disney owns
  • The current HOP really has no "here's where we go from here" opportunities. They're not going to turn it into a musical. It's just not a subject that a lot of people care about enough to see.
Plus, the Muppets are viewed as largely apolitical by most Americans. They could tell the good parts and the bad parts (and avoid others entirely) in a way that most people would enjoy.
Pretty sure Mickey Views has it on his bingo card.

ToTBellHop

Sounds like it has indeed landed on Grand Ave but I don’t think it impacts Star Tours. While MuppetVision has excellent GSATs, the rest of the impacted area is underutilized (shuttered shops, PizzeRizzo, Melrose’s) and already looks like a city. They can easily build the new coaster here and reopen the shops (with monster merch that will sell) and have an on-theme QSR, TSR and M&Gs open.

I also think they may be planning to announce, now that HoP must be updated anyway, that the Muppets will move from DHS to MK to lessen the blow there, but that’s just my personal thoughts on why they haven’t announced MuppetVision’s closure.

Winter

Sounds like it has indeed landed on Grand Ave but I don’t think it impacts Star Tours. While MuppetVision has excellent GSATs, the rest of the impacted area is underutilized (shuttered shops, PizzeRizzo, Melrose’s) and already looks like a city. They can easily build the new coaster here and reopen the shops (with monster merch that will sell) and have an on-theme QSR, TSR and M&Gs open.

I also think they may be planning to announce, now that HoP must be updated anyway, that the Muppets will move from DHS to MK to lessen the blow there, but that’s just my personal thoughts on why they haven’t announced MuppetVision’s closure.
I've seen people mention GSATs on this forum a couple times recently. I assume from context that it's how much people like them? Is there a way to see them, or are they private to Disney?

doctornick

So lots of money spent shuffling deck chairs without any actual capacity increase. Great. 🙄

So much for the $17B going to increase capacity at WDW. Same old same old.

SpectroMagician

Finally following through with a great idea first proposed over a decade ago. However the actual ride track looks very short, similar to how Tron is so short. Disney really needs to understand that the marginal cost of making a coaster longer is very small compared to the total cost and make their rides longer.

Inspired Figment

Also some guy on Twitter did this

Ya know.. ‘if’ for whatever reason, backlash doesn’t change Disney’s decision in removing Muppet•Vision (at the very least, not even bringing it back to DCA) there’s always the possibility they could also move/donate out of prosperity, the show to say, the Musuem of puppetry in Atlanta as a permanent tribute/showcase of the last thing Jim Henson worked on. Just another idea to throw out there.

Horizonsfan

That's a mind-boggling brain-dead creative decision.

They could demo Stage 1 for a wider path, coupled with a partial demo/reconstruction of Mama Melrose into a Harryhousen's that faces a new annex courtyard for Monstropolis and the coaster. They've got the space needed from Melrose/MV3D to the southward canal.

No reason to kill MV3D...beyond presumably a cynical greed for more LL $$$.

SpectroMagician

• It's an IP Disney owns
As someone who is a big HOP fan in general, even if I hate the person talking half the time, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Inspired Figment

Ya know.. something that could possibly be a net positive that I (and I’m sure a number of folks) could accept if done. If they strictly kept Muppet•Vision 3D in the Magic Eye Theatre with a little tribute exhibit to Jim Henson in the theatre lobby area and brought the original 83-98 Journey Into Imagination ride back with tech & spfx enhancements. No sneaky tactics like they did with Honey I Shrunk the Audience to close & retheme the ride to the theme of the 4D movie in ‘99, anytime in the future. I could absolutely get behind that concept.

If they could have Captain EO there in 86-93 with no problems, I would think they could with Muppet•Vision similarly. But yeah.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom