News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

akileese

More puzzling than losing Muppets, I wonder why they'd double down on geographically driving a wedge between Star Tours and Galaxy's Edge. If they were going to ditch MuppetVision, I'd expect it to have the goal of bridging that gap.

This was my logic in thinking it would be Animation Courtyard or even the RNRC area. Putting something like Monsteropolis there locks out an existing part of the park for a GE expansion.

ppete1975

Animation Courtyard is in the running for worst Disney theme park land on the planet. Any other decision here is absurdly stupid. Management can find new office space
Which is kind of sad due to what it USED to be. I still think that concept would work today. Either pen and paper or digitally, there is still the market for people to see animation made and inspire people to try it.

Its quite sad they could make this bigger, and show how animation is made, then have a sound booth area showing how voices are added, then at the end have you watch "the scene they are working on" basically half the original park made into one huge building, that would eat alot of people and inspire people. But thats not what Disney is now.
Heres a 20 dollar treat for your instagram, and a 30 second ride you waited an hour for.

But since that will never happen, this or the stunt show is the most viable areas for something new. Muppets is shoehorned and eats people for little cost, in a park that needs attractions with capacity.

But Id bet it replaces muppets... because thats the idiots in charge.

BasiltheBatLord

If anything happens to Muppets, people will riot and not just the old school Disney Parks fans. MuppetVision 3D is one of those attractions that can't ever be touched like It's a Small World. Muppets may not have been worked on by Disney, but by someone who was on the same level as Disney, Jim Henson and it was his final project.
Dude, they closed Splash Mountain, one of their best and most beloved rides ever. They’re not going to back off Muppets because of backlash. They don’t care.

lightningtap347

Seems short sighted, especially if they have no plans for animation Courtyard. Also kills my want for a Muppets dark ride where they'd be actively building it while you're riding it.

The Muppets deserve to have a place in the parks, but I'm not sure those in charge of them are able to get it to work. I've long felt that the Muppets have felt off without Jim (now even moreso without Steve). I think a lot of people have felt that way, and it's led to a general decline in popularity.

pdude81

I wish we could keep MV3D. Now I get that putting the door coaster over there would let them put a huge show building in the south parking lot, but I had hoped that would be used for a ST Star Wars add. Then again, if keeping RNRC and adding a door coaster, there is no hope for a speeder bike chase anyway.

Monsters land looks really cool, and probably a better fit for the park than muppets, but this still kind of sucks. Would be happy to see this resurface in the future for that unbuilt MK theatre if those plans get dusted off.

ppete1975

At worst, I’d see them replacing ONE of those. Most likely, the coaster replaces Star Tours and they keep a 3D show (Muppets or something new). If they use this plot. But I still thing it goes into AC. The actual model doesn’t look like Grand Ave even if one drawing does.
Too bad all of their muppets ideas have failed (except for a movie made by a superfan hint hint), it would have been cool to take all the space past star tours, and make star tours into pigs in space.. then added in an attraction between them, plus retail and food.

Would have been super cheap (minus new attraction) and would have drawn.

lentesta

Premium Member
Do you know what this future of the muppets entails? Is it a ride? A show? Is it something we’d all like?

The strongest concept I've heard is "Muppets American History" to replace Hall of Presidents. That checks a lot of boxes:
  • It's an IP Disney owns
  • Half the country hates HOP at any given moment in time
  • HOP is the lowest-rated attraction in WDW for several guest demographics
  • The current HOP really has no "here's where we go from here" opportunities. They're not going to turn it into a musical. It's just not a subject that a lot of people care about enough to see.
Plus, the Muppets are viewed as largely apolitical by most Americans. They could tell the good parts and the bad parts (and avoid others entirely) in a way that most people would enjoy.

Surferboy567

So the consensus is that this is going in Muppets?

That would be a real bummer, but I get it. Monsters is a concept I’ve wanted for a while it makes too much sense as a land. Also…sushi in HWS?

EDIT: This was one of the best announcements of the panel.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Since this was the only announcement we got for Hollywood Studios over the weekend, of course the potential news that Monstropolis is taking over Muppets makes no sense with launch bay sitting there being basically useless. It seems like a no brainer to just put Monstropolis there in AC and launch bay. Based on the model it could also definitely fit in that area.

The only thing I can think of as to why they'd get rid of Muppets now for this is because they have (not ready to announce) plans of something bigger going to AC/launch bay? This will probably be something announced at 2026 D23 and for beyond 2030 opening?

I'm so sad to lose Muppets, but this is the only silver lining I can think of so that this decision doesn't seem so short sighted.

erasure fan1

Bluey land! :)
Disney turned down the theme park rights if I remember correctly. Not having Bluey in the parks is another head scratcher in my opinion.
If anything happens to Muppets, people will riot and not just the old school Disney Parks fans. MuppetVision 3D is one of those attractions that can't ever be touched like It's a Small World. Muppets may not have been worked on by Disney, but by someone who was on the same level as Disney, Jim Henson and it was his final project.
As much as I agree with you on this. I don't think it matters. The muppets have zero relevance to modern Disney management. If muppet vision makes it past this, it's going to get blasted for star wars phase 2 or something like that anyway. They just don't care about the property. The muppets are more near and dear to my heart than any of the Disney created characters. So loosing this would be an absolute atrocity in my eyes. Especially as you say, it was Hensons last muppet project. So it has every bit of historical significance to me as something like CoP with Walt.

Sneaky

Air
The strongest concept I've heard is "Muppets American History" to replace Hall of Presidents. That checks a lot of boxes:
  • It's an IP Disney owns
  • Half the country hates HOP at any given moment in time
  • HOP is the lowest-rated attraction in WDW for several guest demographics
  • The current HOP really has no "here's where we go from here" opportunities. They're not going to turn it into a musical. It's just not a subject that a lot of people care about enough to see.
Plus, the Muppets are viewed as largely apolitical by most Americans. They could tell the good parts and the bad parts (and avoid others entirely) in a way that most people would enjoy
Wait are there multiple concepts other than this? All I want to know, is that are they serious about keeping the muppets In wdw?Whatever happens, I hope it’s funny

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom