News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

DarkMetroid567

Has it really, though?

I mean, maybe it has. I don't follow any kind of Disney fan social media (or listen to podcasts about Disney, watch YouTube about Disney, etc.), so I'm far from being the most plugged in regarding stuff like that -- but I don't remember seeing/hearing much about it until it was floated as a possibility a couple of years ago.
Definitely. I’ve never been a Villains guy but I think the love/desire has been there for a long time, especially post-Oogie Boogie Bash.

UNCgolf

Definitely. I’ve never been a Villains guy but I think the love/desire has been there for a long time, especially post-Oogie Boogie Bash.

I edited my post, but I honestly think it's going to be disappointing compared to whatever hopes people have for it. And I'm not saying that because I think Disney will go cheap or whatever -- I just don't see it as a great concept for a land. Disney's villains have no real connection to one another and come from wildly different settings.

It feels like the kind of thing that sounds great as an abstract idea in people's heads, but when it comes to actually designing and building it, well... that's a different story.

Last edited:

DarkMetroid567

I edited my post, but I honestly think it's going to be disappointing compared to whatever hopes people have for it. And I'm not saying that because I think Disney will go cheap or whatever -- I just don't really see it as a great concept for a land. Disney's villains have no real connection to one another and come from wildly different settings.
All it needs to be is a vibes-land, really. Something like a dark/spooky Fantasy Springs would please most people.

UNCgolf

It's come up here more times than I can recall. Perhaps it's not as big among the general fan community as I imagine.

I legitimately have no idea; I just don't remember seeing it brought up here that often. As I said, I'm barely part of the fan community -- this site is the only place I ever get any kind of news/commentary about Disney.

Regardless, I just think it's going to be hard to pull off in a way that's not disappointing.

Casper Gutman

I wouldn't call any of those nearly as big a deal. A Villains-based land or park has been the holy grail among fans for years now.
Which means NOTHING to the people making the final decisions. I’m not saying they’re evil, but they have a set of priorities that does not overlap much with that of fans.

Frankly, it’s crazy we’re having this discussion after Tiana’s. We were assured over and over again that Disney KNEW the stakes of replacing a masterpiece, that they wouldn’t DARE disappoint fans… and the result was garbage. We need to learn from experience.

What’s going to happen if Villains gets delayed into oblivion? Will a significant body of fans boycott? Nope. It will not affect attendance. Disney management IS taking actions in the park that are proving detrimental to attendance, but letting a vaguely announced land disappear into forgetfulness is not going to be an example of that.

Casper Gutman

Yeah, I disagree with that assessment. If they didn't care, they would never have announced it in the first place. It's clearly fan service, as is the Monsters Inc. door coaster.

In any case, we'll all know in a few (or maybe more than a few!) years' time whether it'll happen. I'll readily acknowledge my mistake if I turn out to be wrong.
Yes, the ANNOUNCEMENT was fan service at a fan event. Cheap fan service.

LittleBuford

Frankly, it’s crazy we’re having this discussion after Tiana’s. We were assured over and over again that Disney KNEW the stakes of replacing a masterpiece, that they wouldn’t DARE disappoint fans… and the result was garbage. We need to learn from experience.
I'm not claiming it's going to be especially well done; I'm under no illusions in that regard. All I'm saying is that I would be very, very surprised if it weren't built at all.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. There's no sense arguing about something that neither of us has any real information on.

LittleBuford

There's decades of precedent of Disney announcing and teasing things to the general public, and then not building them.

That doesn't mean this iteration of Villains Land isn't happening, but no one should be surprised if it doesn't either.
As I tried to make clear, I'm not expecting this particular iteration. But I do think something will be built in the area they've earmarked for it, even if it ends up looking rather different from what was announced.

Rich Brownn

yeah, but by that argument adding two Himalaya spinners on Main Street would also give the park more capacity... Any attraction will give the park more capacity...that doesn't mean that any addition is a good idea....especially when there are shuttered attractions in the park... And the charm of the Magic Kingdom is not based on the "latest greatest movie franchise" but the fairytale classics, and old Disney nostalgia... Let DHS and EPCOT have the trendy new IP... Magic Kingdom was never based on current hit IP attractions... ever. And yet, somehow it is the most visited and popular of the Disney parks.
Ironically, Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland was to promote the new film (which ended up being delayed anyways). So it ended up being an icon based on a future IP :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom