News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fox&Hound

Whenever they decide on where Monsters is going, I wish they would take a hard look at this park and try to make some sense of it. Like make themed lands based on different studios, walking paths that aren’t dead ends, remove the rest of the soundstage buildings, decide where old Hollywood begins and ends, etc. The whole park just feels so disjointed and thrown together. Changing RNRC to Incredibles will not help that. Plopping Monsters where Muppets is will not help either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whenever they decide on where Monsters is going, I wish they would take a hard look at this park and try to make some sense of it. Like make themed lands based on different studios, walking paths that aren’t dead ends, remove the rest of the soundstage buildings, decide where old Hollywood begins and ends, etc. The whole park just feels so disjointed and thrown together. Changing RNRC to Incredibles will not help that. Plopping Monsters where Muppets is will not help either.
Individual studios put out out a range of movies with different genres, moods, settings, etc....

If you're against patchwork theming, then sections dedicated to a specific studio isn't what you want, else you get WALL*E next to The Good Dinosaur.

Gusey

I do appreciate The Muppets finding multiple ways to not announce a closing date for Muppetvision (If that's happening):
  • Muppets 70th anniversary
  • Jim Henson documentary winning multiple Emmys
  • Jim Henson's birthday
  • Jollywood Nights featuring Muppet Christmas Carol photo op in Studio 1 & role in variety show making Kermit and Miss Piggy semi-mascots of the event

ToTBellHop

Hot take: I actually like Matt Vogel's Kermit.
1727350699044.gif

Bocabear

Studios, yes but not indiscriminately... You don't HAVE to put contrary IP next to each other.... But Toy Story Land and a Monstropolous mini land and a Cars Land all off of a Pixar Hub would work... a Studio Portal and then individual mini lands supporting the different franchises... to avoid the muddle... Bringing in Studios gives some organization to the whole of the park...

Streetway

It’s sad to realize muppetvision is toast either way. They very determined to do if true. Hopefully they show up somewhere else.
Muppets balloon-testing is likely for future developments. If construction is starting this year for Monsters, it is way too late for balloon testing, but they can be trying anything for other stuff that might take over Muppets.

BrianLo

I watch Fantasmic at DL every chance I get. I saw the MGM version once 25 years ago and that was enough. It could close today and I wouldn’t care.

I’m a big Disneyland Fantasmic fan (it may be my all time fave night show, but it’s a crowded roster). I would have died on the hill in agreement 12 months ago.

That said, you should probably give the DHS one another shake. Seeing it updated left me with the impression that it was surprisingly more competent than I remember it ever being. Perhaps even more so than what’s currently at DL, that I most recently saw this August and… honestly DHS’ might really have become better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since we're always off-topic...

DHS's Fantasmic! was recently greatly improved by getting rid of "suddenly Colonialists" and upgrading a few FX and a few tweaks here and there. So, if you haven't been for a while, it's worth checking out. There's nothing awful about it.

Altho... it could use *a lot* more tweaks if it wants to be excellent. (Or a complete re-write.)

celluloid

View attachment 817969

Matt's not even the worst Kermit. Remember when they had Artie Esposito do Kermit for a couple things in 2009?

Matthew Lillard is the only live action face who tried. Does not really belong there.

And I think with everyone else on that list doing their own voice and for tje most part, typical Schtick, not a character at all means we don't want it to continue.

There is a reason half your meme list is Disney. They can do better.

Last edited:

Streetway

My take: Give Matt Vogel a chance. It’s a different take. He does well singing as Kermit. And while his speaking voice isn’t perfect, it’s not the worst thing in the world. I don’t mind it, I’ve warmed up to it over time. Kermit is Kermit, simple as that.

Casper Gutman

Since we're always off-topic...

DHS's Fantasmic! was recently greatly improved by getting rid of "suddenly Colonialists" and upgrading a few FX and a few tweaks here and there. So, if you haven't been for a while, it's worth checking out. There's nothing awful about it.

Altho... it could use *a lot* more tweaks if it wants to be excellent. (Or a complete re-write.)
What makes Fantasmic special is the space and the way the show was perfectly designed to utilize it. It’s a show made to fit one particular spot, a spot where the audience can feel directly involved with the show. It simply doesn’t work in an arena setting, where the action is too distant and separated from the guest, where “viewer” and “viewed” are rigidly demarcated. It would be like sitting in the stands at a stadium and watching MSEP or Spectromagic go around a track.

All this is on top of the uncomfortable seats, the long, cement-y wait to get in, the herding and shuffling… it’s just not worth it.

I’m sure the DL version has declined since the fire. That doesn’t change the fact that the problems with the WDW version are fundamental to its design. MGM needs a show designed from the ground up for MGM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom