News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

JusticeDisney

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed above, to the effect that this was an awesome surprise! I’m a big fan of Monsters Inc. and from what little we can tell this attraction looks like it will be a lot of fun!

I’m curious if they will go for a family friendly ride, or something with greater thrills? Either way I am excited for it, but has anyone heard anything in this regard?

Jrb1979

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed above, to the effect that this was an awesome surprise! I’m a big fan of Monsters Inc. and from what little we can tell this attraction looks like it will be a lot of fun!

I’m curious if they will go for a family friendly ride, or something with greater thrills? Either way I am excited for it, but has anyone heard anything in this regard?
I hope it's somewhere in the middle between Slinky and Rock'n'roller Coaster. Something like Dragonflier at Dollywood.

TrainsOfDisney

It looks like a family coaster - similar to Dollywoods Dragonflier. It looks like a very compact layout - but i think the elevator lifts will be really cool and make this feel very special.

The Leader of the Club

...What???

It's just a decent 20(?) minute show that's so outdated that it's hyping up 3d as a new cool thing so long after it became big that it stopped being a popular fad over 10 years ago.

Like it's perfectly fine and I get really liking it if you're into the muppets but this seems like an insane exaggeration lol
The thing with MuppetVision is that it is Jim Henson’s last project. It’s the final creative work of one of the greatest visionaries in cinema history. It deserves to be preserved in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean does for Walt Disney.

It’s also much more than a 3D show. The genius of MuppetVision is that it keeps building on itself. You think it’s just a 3D movie, but then you see animatronics of Statler & Walforf. Then the penguin orchestra. Then a live Sweetums. Then the theater practically falls apart in the finale. These effects are an integral part of the experience that can’t be replicated on Disney+.

TimeDuck

...What???

It's just a decent 20(?) minute show that's so outdated that it's hyping up 3d as a new cool thing so long after it became big that it stopped being a popular fad over 10 years ago.

Like it's perfectly fine and I get really liking it if you're into the muppets but this seems like an insane exaggeration lol
I'm not making the argument that it's an incredible attraction with mass market appeal. Nothing I said speaks anything to the quality of it as a modern theme park draw in 2024.

I'm making the argument that's its a singular piece of art that has historical relevance outside of what's just projected on the screen, and deserves to continue to exist outside the immediate demands of the Walt Disney company. It being the very last project Jim Henson directed, the ingenuity of the 3D in combination with live actors, animatronics, puppets, projections - all make it something that's irreplaceable and likely will never be remotely duplicated. I think it should be the their responsibility to ensure it continues to exist. Whether or not it sits at that location in that theme park. In a perfect world it could just be relocated to somewhere like the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta.

Not even to mention what a small foot print it takes up. To draw a perfect example, I think the 15 min original pre-show for MV3D is amazing and singular, but could entirely exist digitally and be preserved in a way that can be enjoyed for future generations at home. MV3D absolutely could not be.

I think there are a good number of attractions like this (some I don't even like that much that I would make the same argument for), they just mostly happen to exist in Walt's original park. This one just unfortunately happens to be in Florida.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The thing with MuppetVision is that it is Jim Henson’s last project. It’s the final creative work of one of the greatest visionaries in cinema history. It deserves to be preserved in the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean does for Walt Disney.

It’s also much more than a 3D show. The genius of MuppetVision is that it keeps building on itself. You think it’s just a 3D movie, but then you see animatronics of Statler & Walforf. Then the penguin orchestra. Then a live Sweetums. Then the theater practically falls apart in the finale. These effects are an integral part of the experience that can’t be replicated on Disney+.
There are no sacred cows at Disney Parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not familiar with Dragonflier, but I think what you’re hoping for here makes the most sense. That really would be pretty cool, IMO.
Video here:
Exactly what I was thinking. I was pleasantly surprised by how fun Dragonflier was when I rode it last year.

Would they do 4 separate load platforms? Or only 2?

My thinking was what if it was two load platforms, fed from the center, and each platform could service two train load positions. Train on track 1 is dispatched and rises up, while track two lowers down. After the movement the next train comes in on track 2 while whatever happens to the train on track 1 happens. Then they reverse again.

It just means that when loading, riders have to walk slightly farther for the outer train position. And when waiting to board the next train you get the visual of the train in front of you rising up into the ceiling.

-Rob

Sneaky

I'm not making the argument that it's an incredible attraction with mass market appeal. Nothing I said speaks anything to the quality of it as a modern theme park draw in 2024.

I'm making the argument that's its a singular piece of art that has historical relevance outside of what's just projected on the screen, and deserves to continue to exist outside the immediate demands of the Walt Disney company. It being the very last project Jim Henson directed, the ingenuity of the 3D in combination with live actors, animatronics, puppets, projections - all make it something that's irreplaceable and likely will never be remotely duplicated. I think it should be the their responsibility to ensure it continues to exist. Whether or not it sits at that location in that theme park. In a perfect world it could just be relocated to somewhere like the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta.

Not even to mention what a small foot print it takes up. To draw a perfect example, I think the 15 min original pre-show for MV3D is amazing and singular, but could entirely exist digitally and be preserved in a way that can be enjoyed for future generations at home. MV3D absolutely could not be.

I think there are a good number of attractions like this (some I don't even like that much that I would make the same argument for), they just mostly happen to exist in Walt's original park. This one just unfortunately happens to be in Florida.
I hate to say it…it’s coming. It’s an old attraction, in one of the last remains of “old dhs”, in prime expansion real estate, in a landlocked park. it’s gonna happen sooner or later, and we’re going to have to make peace with it. From what we’ve heard from multiple people is that imagineering understand that people want the muppets in the parks, and we’re getting something else somewhere, so that’s something! But muppets isn’t gonna last forever. It’s unfortunate.

ctrlaltdel

As someone who grew up in Pixar's golden age (and grew up wigth the decades long rumors of a door coaster), this is kind of a dream come true attraction. As long as it takes over Animation Courtyard, it is the most slam dunk of slam dunks. Vekoma's family suspended coasters are also fantastic, so I am sure it will be a ton of fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom