Monorail's

Originally posted by CPStaceyQ
That's b/c *technically* they aren't supposed to except in emergency, and *some* people do their job and don't play around...

Wheeew somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! :lol:

Goodeone

I've been in the front a couple of times, once when I was younger (8 yrs old I believe) and then again last year (16 yrs). I love riding up front and both times found the operator to be very nice, although I believe that they usually wait for the rider to start up conversations. The second time I rode the train there was a bird on the track (in view) and we couldn't leave the station until the bird flew off, actually took about 2 minutes after multiple horn blasts.

Kwit35

I just skimmed all the posts so forgive me if this was answered:
How many people can sit up front? Our group is always to big, but how big is too big?

Gagesmom314

I got to ride in the front the last time I was there...probably 6 or 7 years ago. We had an amazing driver who I am sure broke all the rules and let me drive for a bit. I learned if you go over a certain speed the whole thing shuts down so he sat right next to me to ensure I never went over that speed. It was great fun and we look forward to sitting in the front at least once on our trip in June.

Invero

Originally posted by Gagesmom314
I got to ride in the front the last time I was there...probably 6 or 7 years ago. We had an amazing driver who I am sure broke all the rules and let me drive for a bit. I learned if you go over a certain speed the whole thing shuts down so he sat right next to me to ensure I never went over that speed. It was great fun and we look forward to sitting in the front at least once on our trip in June.

Yipes... that's instant termination if you're caught letting a guest drive. It can potentially be VERY dangerous...

Gagesmom314

Probably worse that I was only like 15 or 16 then. It is definantly a Disney memory I will never forget. It surprised me when he let me do it but hey it's all good.

MrPodar

The view from the first car (movie)

TheCoasterKid said:
I've been in the front a couple of times, once when I was younger (8 yrs old I believe) and then again last year (16 yrs). I love riding up front and both times found the operator to be very nice, although I believe that they usually wait for the rider to start up conversations. The second time I rode the train there was a bird on the track (in view) and we couldn't leave the station until the bird flew off, actually took about 2 minutes after multiple horn blasts.

Riding in front is cool. Here's a video I recorded with my digital camera of the trip from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom on the Express Monorail to MK. :)

http://www.skippypodar.net/Movies/WDW-Movies/wdw-express-monorail-firstcar.wmv - (7.0 MB, 2 minutes, 38 seconds)

I apologize to those of you who are on dialup or aren't able to play .WMVs. :(

Let me know what you think! :)

- Skip "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas." :)

PeterPan&Wendy

tj229er said:
When waiting in line to get on the monorail's ask any of the cm's if you can sit in the cockpit and the'll let you. It is one of the coolest things you can do.

We did it once too! It's so much fun! But only parties of 4, so if your group is bigger don't try got it unless you want to split up.

OliveMcFly

We love riding up front. To the drivers left there is a plastic pocket on the wall full of Monorail Co-Pilot licenses. Those are always a cool keepsake. They are meant for kids though but, sometimes you get a giving driver.

Invero

RnRJoe6114 said:
hey gagesmom i found ou that the drivers are supposed to not go over 40MPH and if they hit 44MPH+ then the system shuts down
Yes, and no.

There are pre-set speed limits throughout the beam, ranging from 15 to 40mph. If the driver exceeds the speed limit by 2mph for more than 1.5 seconds without placing the train into braking, the train will initiate a full service stop.

There are of course ways to "work" the system. My top speed was in Red, at 49mph without an overspeed stop.

Tara Mae

Sitting in the front is the most coolest thing! It feels like you're going faster than what you're traveling, and you get a better view of your surroundings, because you're not having to stand and walk around, you're seated and all you have to do is turn you're head. We've always gotten some cool pilots that joke around and point out random facts....well, this year, we got some crab who snapped when we asked a question, and when we weren't talking, she wasn't, either. She didn't even tell us to have a good day! :( I like how if you have a kid, the pilot *most of the time* will give the kid a "monorail liscense" it's so adorable to see the look on the kids faces! "Mommy, I can drive a monorail!" ;)

JoeZer

Steampunky Time Lord
Monorail Cockpit

I, and my date, did this during our visit to the MK back in June. It was the first time for either of us riding with the pilot...and while this was my date's first time to any of the parks in Orlando, in my 32 years of going to the MK I'd not taken the moment before to ask the Monorail CMs.

Eventhough it was only the leg of the Monorail from the TTC to the MK, the view of the Contemporary's interior from the pilot's area melted me in awe...made me feel like I was 4 all over again on my family's first visit to MK...

My date and I even got the "Co-Pilot" licences...without asking. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom