Monorail Yellow Evacuation - Bus entrance to MK closed...detouring now (somewhere)

DisneyPrincess5

This thread is starting to freak me out a bit about riding on the monorails.
I feel the same.
We are staying at Bay Lake in a few months and will be taking advantage of the walk to MK a lot.

I do have an issue with enclosed space and heights but I am usually fine with the monorail as it moves swiftly and I focus on how fun the destination will be. But if I happened to be a passenger during the stop yesterday, the train would've had a show of lengthy hyperventilation attacks!

I like to believe it's safe mostly but incidents like this are scary and may deter riders. What a shame to pay a pretty penny to stay on the monorail line for the convenience of this transportation and deal with stuff like this. Oh well-anything man made will eventually fade.

halltd

I like to believe it's safe mostly but incidents like this are scary and may deter riders.
Besides being inconvenienced by however many hours they were stuck, what made this event scary and not safe? It broke down, the medically ill were taken out first, and the rest were taken out in the safest manner possible. I really don't see cause for all the doom and gloom about the monorails being unsafe and scary...because they're neither.

scpergj

So, my wife and I were there for the aftermath.

We decided we had enough food and drink at EPCOT, so about 7:45 left via monorail for the TTC. At no point was there any announcement that there was any transportation issue getting to the Magic Kingdom. When we arrived, it was quite apparent that the express monorail was not running at all (there was at least one monorail running on the resort beam, but no idea if they were loaded or not). There were only two ferries running (I was told the third was in dry dock). We were fortunate that we only had about a 45 minute getting to the Magic Kingdom.

After a couple of hours we decided we were tired and decided to head back to the Swan. As we exited the Magic Kingdom, there was a mass of people waiting for the resort monorail and for the ferries. Again, no announcements from Disney management at all, nothing. We were very glad that we were just taking the bus back.

Again, this morning, another issue. This time we started at the Magic Kingdom early - took the bus from the Swan - then at 11:30 started to head back to head back to EPCOT. This time, the EPCOT beam was down. Interestingly, there was a cast member with a bullhorn telling guests that the monorail to EPCOT was down and that we could catch a bus (then gave directions on where to go). Much better organization than last night, but there was only one bus waiting, and it was loaded to the max (in my eyes it was overloaded), with no other bus in site.

Disney has a transportation problem....and I kind of get the idea that they either don't know, don't know how to fix it......or don't care.

rucifee

We decided we had enough food and drink at EPCOT, so about 7:45 left via monorail for the TTC. At no point was there any announcement that there was any transportation issue getting to the Magic Kingdom. When we arrived, it was quite apparent that the express monorail was not running at all (there was at least one monorail running on the resort beam, but no idea if they were loaded or not). There were only two ferries running (I was told the third was in dry dock). We were fortunate that we only had about a 45 minute getting to the Magic Kingdom.

After a couple of hours we decided we were tired and decided to head back to the Swan. As we exited the Magic Kingdom, there was a mass of people waiting for the resort monorail and for the ferries. Again, no announcements from Disney management at all, nothing. We were very glad that we were just taking the bus back.

Again, this morning, another issue. This time we started at the Magic Kingdom early - took the bus from the Swan - then at 11:30 started to head back to head back to EPCOT. This time, the EPCOT beam was down. Interestingly, there was a cast member with a bullhorn telling guests that the monorail to EPCOT was down and that we could catch a bus (then gave directions on where to go). Much better organization than last night, but there was only one bus waiting, and it was loaded to the max (in my eyes it was overloaded), with no other bus in site.

Disney has a transportation problem....and I kind of get the idea that they either don't know, don't know how to fix it......or don't care.

Fixing problems is expensive. Guests will shake off problems like this as though they don't exist. A few who do complain will get a couple of golden fast passes for their troubles and they won't say another word about it. If you manage the guests in another way, there is no problem.

rucifee

Besides being inconvenienced by however many hours they were stuck, what made this event scary and not safe? It broke down, the medically ill were taken out first, and the rest were taken out in the safest manner possible. I really don't see cause for all the doom and gloom about the monorails being unsafe and scary...because they're neither.

I saw an emergency exit door fall open almost on a couple's head about a week ago while the monorail was moving. The safety tether is all that stopped it from being a very bad scene. I left pictures of it on another forum, you are welcome to go find them. The monorails are certainly not safe.

photomatt

Please don't take this post as an advertisement, because it's not. If you ever encounter a massive wait for transportation out of the MK, consider walking over to the Contemporary. Once you are there you can take a taxi, a Disney bus to another park, or you can use a ridesharing provider. If you are short on funds, your best best is to take a Disney bus from the Contemporary to another park and then a bus from that park to your destination. I realize this isn't the quickest and most convenient option, but if you do this you could save some time when it's gridlocked because something is not functioning.

One advantage of walking to the Contemporary is that you can sit and relax in the A/C while the situation is resolved and crowds thin out.

Another option to consider is to use the small watercraft that ferry guests to Fort Wilderness (If this still exists). If that mode of transportation is working you could use it, and then take a taxi, Uber/Lyft or Disney bus from there.

It's pretty sad that you have to have all of these alternative exit plans when visiting the MK, but this is what happens when TDO defers upgrades for years.

The monorails are Disney icons. My personal opinion is that if they need to raise parking to $25 to get new monorails then do it. They need to be replaced, and soon.

PhotoDave219

Transportation managers (....lookin at you, Joe...) are more interested their own survival and career advancement than providing basic or appropriate guest service.

ItlngrlBella

I'm sure they'll never be another monorail extension - especially if they can't keep up with the demand. Just think of the throngs expected once you have Avatar finished at AK and after everything is added and open at DHS.

s8film40

Possibly. But the lawsuit would delve into how long it took for Disney to initiate the first call for emergency response. Ready Creek is operated by Disney, therefore they could also be held responsible (which I doubt would happen). But corporate is on the hook here, including how maintenance was done, what maintenance was done, interval between maintenance, and more that I probably am missing.

Bottom line, Disney is on the hook one way or another.
Reedy Creek is not operated by Disney. Disney (especially in a legal sense) can't be held accountable for anything RCID does.

While I agree maintenance is an issue. Everything in this timeline of events seems to have been handled in a timely manner for the circumstances.

alissafalco

I saw an emergency exit door fall open almost on a couple's head about a week ago while the monorail was moving. The safety tether is all that stopped it from being a very bad scene. I left pictures of it on another forum, you are welcome to go find them. The monorails are certainly not safe.
Post the pics here

Padraig

Isn't there some transportation authority/agency that you can report that to? If they're as unsafe as you say, then surely you'd want that incident investigated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom