Monorail Yellow Evacuation - Bus entrance to MK closed...detouring now (somewhere)

PhotoDave219

Exactly the situation shouldn't have happened at all there's no excuse for the condition of these trains. RCES seems to have handled this exactly as expected, I didn't hear any news of injuries and that is their ONLY goal.

RCES took their time evacuating all six cars in a careful manner as there was no imminent risk to any of the guests, simply an inconvenience of being stuck.

If the train was on fire or guests were in some sense of actual danger, they would have handled the situation differently.

Tom

Beta Return
I have a serious question....

Why don't they tow the trains in these situations? It would be 5,000 times safer, and more convenient (as a bonus), to drive a tugger out, latch on, and pull it to the nearest platform. Nobody has to climb out onto a scissor lift (which I'd struggle with, given my fear of heights) after being unnecessarily trapped in a sweatbox for hours.

I just don't get why these evacs have to happen. There's obviously a major reason why it's impossible, otherwise they'd be doing it.

peachykeen

Why don't they tow the trains in these situations? It would be 5,000 times safer, and more convenient (as a bonus), to drive a tugger out, latch on, and pull it to the nearest platform. Nobody has to climb out onto a scissor lift (which I'd struggle with, given my fear of heights) after being unnecessarily trapped in a sweatbox for hours.

I just don't get why these evacs have to happen. There's obviously a major reason why it's impossible, otherwise they'd be doing it.

They had started to "tow" (actually push) the train back towards TTC but for some reason the brakes jammed. Before they could sort out why they jammed, a guest in one of the cars called reporting a medical emergency. At that point Reedy Creek decided to evacuate those particular cars and the tow operation was suspended. After the affected cars were evacuated, the remaining guests were onboard the train as it was pushed back to TTC.

PhotoDave219

Apparently they tried.

A train evac is the last resort.

PhotoDave219

The trains may not be in perfect condition, but for the amount of time they are in operation Disney does a pretty good job keeping them up and running.

Except they don't.

When you've gotten to the point that every morning buses are scheduled and idling in a lot, waiting for the monorail to break - which is does, several times a week - then you've got a giant problem.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I have to agree even if Disney splurged and got a new fleet of trains we might only be problem free for a few years if not months. The monorail are failing due to lack of matinance, the system used to boast at how well there fleet ran and worked. How they were problem free. Now they can not do that they are in terrible shape and it's showing. All we can hope is that enough negative press is generated from this incident to make management give them the money they need to maintain the fleet... I'm not gona hold my breath though

peachykeen

There wasn't a fire. If there was a fire things would have been handled entirely differently using different procedures.

If anyone is curious, in the cockpit there is a rope that, in theory, would hook to the top of the cabs and then attach down by the monorail headlight. In a serious emergency, the pilot would (again, in theory) rig this up so that guests could slide down the windshield and onto the beamway.

I once asked, off the record, what to do if I saw my train on fire. The person (a long-time Central Coordinator) said "I would get that train as close to a station or the ground as I could, even if it meant MAPO overriding [disabling anti-collision system] and coming in right behind another train."

Polydweller

This is interesting, I was on property at the time as well within a mile or two of Magic Kingdom and I didn't hear any thunder or see any lightning. There was a lot of rain, but it didn't last more than 20 minutes.
It was amazingly loud at the Poly. Just the two major flashes and it may not have sounded like the typical thunder. They were both more like one tremendous bang sound not rolling thunder.

mousehockey37

Except they don't.

When you've gotten to the point that every morning buses are scheduled and idling in a lot, waiting for the monorail to break - which is does, several times a week - then you've got a giant problem.

Well, when there's little downtime and high demand to get guests from points A to B, you do what you can with what you've got and hope for the best (at least it seems that is what Disney is doing anyway). There was just an announcement this morning that the MK hours were extended until midnight tonight. Well, that extra time the park is open means the monorails will run longer and have less time for maintenance.

No one can control the weather. I was out last week later at night as a weather system was coming through. No mentions of possible tornadoes or anything, but one touched down about an hour after I passed through a certain area (on the road I was on, nonetheless). So for freak lightning strikes and such, it is Central Florida and this stuff happens.

Now for my serious question.... Is there a way to retro fit a gas powered or even solar powered engine into the train so that in the event the electricity is cut to the line, the monorails can have enough juice to at least get to the next station?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom