Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

Prock3

I dont WANT to believe this but TDO is focused entirely on cost reduction replacing Monorail with buses would be much cheaper from a Capex and Opex perspective.
The monorails aren't going anywhere, you don't spend 75million if you plan to shut them down anytime soon. Not to mention the costs of demolishing the infrastructure, that would probably be pushing a hundred million dollars. Because you can't leave miles of concrete beams laying around to eventually just fall down. They did it with discovery island and with river country, but you can't hide miles of beams.
Sure maybe 40-50 years from now when the monorail beams are over 80 years old Disney might not decide to replace them, but that's not happening anytime soon.

MonorailLover

Well guests at the Poly can use the ferry to TTC, and everyone can use the resort launches and those new buses so... it's a little disorganized... it's very possibly inefficient. But it is indeed still complimentary! :)

Still better than the transportation to universal parks, walk, pay for someone bike you there, or take a slower than a Disney boat....boat.

MonorailLover

The monorails aren't going anywhere, you don't spend 75million if you plan to shut them down anytime soon. Not to mention the costs of demolishing the infrastructure, that would probably be pushing a hundred million dollars. Because you can't leave miles of concrete beams laying around to eventually just fall down. They did it with discovery island and with river country, but you can't hide miles of beams.
Sure maybe 40-50 years from now when the monorail beams are over 80 years old Disney might not decide to replace them, but that's not happening anytime soon.

The monorails aren't going anywhere, they transport just under the same amount as the WHOLE bus fleet does every year, with 12 monorails.....which is why they haven't ever been taken out of service. It just isn't going happen.

lunchbox1175

After a royal Sc----ing by TDO - A REAL hotel would have offered discounts or complementary rebooking when all the amenities were back online. To Disney however guests are just sheep to be fleeced.
I think they would have if the monorails were going to be shut down for the entire day, but since they will be operational when the majority of guests arrive in the morning and depart for the evening, that is why they chose not to discount.

PhilharMagician

So can anyone help me as to what my options are going to be from the Contemporary? Thanks in advance.

Bus to Epcot, DHS, AK, DTD, BB and TL
Walk to MK
Boat to MK and other MK Resorts

I believe the Contemporary busses going to Epcot, DHS and AK stop @ the Poly first before heading to the parks.

Clamman73

Well guests at the Poly can use the ferry to TTC, and everyone can use the resort launches and those new buses so... it's a little disorganized... it's very possibly inefficient. But it is indeed still complimentary! :)

I do hope they at least are giving guests the little "Transportation disruption" flyers. I got one (sure everyone did) on marathon weekend, but that was an event, and this is a 2 month thing. It must be a very awkward to convey this news. "So sorry - We're taking down the monorail for 2 months which you paid a premium to be on that line, and sorry we're announcing this long after you booked your stay quite probably months ago. Instead of the highway in the sky or the now over-burdened resort launches, why not cruise in style in a shiny BUS?"
How do you word this news in a nice and friendly way?

Guests at Poly can use the ferry to TTC???

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think they would have if the monorails were going to be shut down for the entire day, but since they will be operational when the majority of guests arrive in the morning and depart for the evening, that is why they chose not to discount.

Right, That's why the ferry line is an hour long at midday as other posters note because so few want to come over from the Poly and GF. Next apologist please.

G8rchamps

Is the resort line actually starting back up at 7? We have a 7:40 at Citrico's and debating how to get there on time from MK.

omurice

Bus to Epcot, DHS, AK, DTD, BB and TL
Walk to MK
Boat to MK and other MK Resorts

I believe the Contemporary busses going to Epcot, DHS and AK stop @ the Poly first before heading to the parks.
They even assigned a BUS to the Contemporary from the new MK bus loop, seriously.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportat...w-magic-kingdom-bus-stop-gate-allocations.htm
But I would just walk it.
One of the new bus stops was slated as"Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Resort", so they paired it up with WL (and Poly is paired up with GF). But by the time you walk back to those stops (like numbered over #20 or higher), you could be 75% of the way down the Contemporary walkway... is not much further to Bay Lake Tower as the walk to furthest end of the new bus loops!
Of course every step counts when your feet are barking at the end of a long day at MK.. and you realize at park close you'd be waiting for over 3 sets of passengers for that "little" resort launch they use for Contemporary!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom