News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

durangojim

When I was a pilot back in the day there was a feature called the "door loop" which would inhibit motion if any door or hatch were open or registering as open. Even if a door or hatch were registering as open, there was something called "door bypass" which the pilot would enable, but only when directed, which would allow the train to move but at a max. of 20mph. As the video shows the train was operating at normal speed. I have a bad feeling that one or more features were disabled or overlooked for the automation retrofit. If that's the case, this is a NEW flaw that ALL trains currently have.
And there goes the ability to use the monorails for the next year.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
When I was a pilot back in the day there was a feature called the "door loop" which would inhibit motion if any door or hatch were open or registering as open. Even if a door or hatch were registering as open, there was something called "door bypass" which the pilot would enable, but only when directed, which would allow the train to move but at a max. of 20mph. As the video shows the train was operating at normal speed. If that's the case, this is a NEW flaw that ALL trains currently have.

So in all likelihood the pilot (now basically a seat warmer for the automation system) had no idea this was even happening? And because the MORONS in the vid were more interested in filming it rather than being responsible in alerting someone to the danger....wow. I mean the only thing the pilot could have done is glanced at the mirrors on the straightaway and maybe they could have seen it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1515525813205.png

Monorail_Red

So in all likelihood the pilot (now basically a seat warmer for the automation system) had no idea this was even happening? And because the MORONS in the vid were more interested in filming it rather than being responsible in alerting someone to the danger....wow. I mean the only thing the pilot could have done is glanced at the mirrors on the straightaway and maybe they could have seen it.
Seeing the train went all the way to Epcot at normal speed I don't think they were aware. I have no way of knowing if the automation retrofit is completely to blame but based on my knowledge of the trains one or more fail-safes would have had to been disabled to allow this to happen.

peachykeen

A reminder that these signs went up just before this door event.
Disney knew this was probably about to happen.
If I was an attorney on Disney's liability team, I've got three phones pressed up against my face right now and I'm screaming into all of them.

From what I have heard is that it wasn't "probably about to happen," but HAD happened, just no Guests were in the car when it did.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The same thing happened over the summer on monorail yellow. They had the door taped up with duct tape and locked out the cab. Going to see if i can find the pictures I took of it.

gsansone

Can't say I am surprised. It's a little unnerving just listening to the recorded narration on board when they talk about the history of the monorail system. Great. Original monorails were replaced with the Mark 4's or whatever back in....the early 1990s???? So imagine driving a 20-25 year old car, loaded with passengers all day every day and tell me how long you would expect it to last? Monorail system is SERIOUSLY showing it's age, and it's really the lifeblood of the property. They carry so many guests and are relied on by thousands and thousands of people every day, you would think the monorails would be state of the art. Imagine getting around without them. Waiting for boats. Huge lines. Utter chaos.

The continued lack of investment and maintenance on the monorails is reaching new lows.

From two days ago.

Incomudro

Doesn't "filming" the episode and sharing it alert people to the danger?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
From what I have heard is that it wasn't "probably about to happen," but HAD happened, just no Guests were in the car when it did.
If this is true, then this isn’t some little issue Disney has. This is a major problem, with major repercussions. IMO, if the timeline we have is right, this is going to result in lawsuits, terminations, fan backlash, I mean. Imagine this. You know the monorail doors are freaking opening while the trains are in motion. You decide to address this by putting a bleeping sticker on the wall above them? Holy cow. It’s mind boggling. My mind is boggled.

Bender123

Original monorails were replaced with the Mark 4's or whatever back in....the early 1990s???? So imagine driving a 20-25 year old car.

The first Mark VI was put on the beam for testing in 1988 and put into service in 1989. The entire fleet was completed by 1991.

Some of these trains are now pushing 30 years old, which is about 10 years past the second longest serviced trains.

NormC

Was there ever any credible confirmation that this was true? If it was, I highly doubt it was as simple a deal as the rumor said, that Disney would get the trains for free if they allowed them to be Siemens banded.
There has never been any confirmation of this rumor. I doubt it was true as Siemens does not even make a monorail system that would work on Disney's beamway or it's stations. It would have had to be a completely new system requiring a large investment. Unlikely that Siemens would give that away just so they could keep their name in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom