Monorail Expansion?

MrPromey

Originally posted by coopdog
I think if disney built some buses only roads. the buses could make trips from one place and back faster with faster top speeds less brakeing at all the stop lights, would save a lot of time at peak times when the roads are jamed .It would save fuel, less upkeep all around for the buses, one bus could make more trips in one hour so less buses would be needed. disney would have to do alot of planing but I think some thing like this would cost a lot less then a monorail expansion.

Based on everything I have heard in this thread, others, from this site and many others, I think that the solution will need to be something bus-like and something we probably won’t be seeing anytime soon unless it’s something along the lines of what coopdog suggested - bus-only roads. I don’t think it would be practical to pave separate roads everywhere for busses everywhere but some key roads (like short-cuts) that might send guests more directly to some areas, would make some sense as long as they could keep the driving guests well away from them. I know that mechanically, they could easily put sensors (automatic garage door opener type devices) in the busses and “authorized vehicles” which would lift access arms but if cars try to follow them in (people do silly things like that sometimes) it could create headaches… I guess they could put in guard gates but the lack of automation might be an issue. In any event, I’m confident that such a system would not be difficult to figure out…

Right now, I don’t think there really is a good “high-tech” system to replace what they’ve got. Most of us understand why just about anything on a track would be problematic. What about modified courtesy trams? Like enclosed versions of what you ride on the backlot tour? (then again, maybe not) The whole alternative fuel thing sounds like a great idea but until more has been done with it, on a smaller scale, I don’t think it’s a good idea for Disney. If the local town on the beach near here that only uses one conventional bus wants to buy two alternative fuel busses and drive them around I’m all for it. Maybe when version 2.0 or 3.0 comes out, the costs come down and we know that Disney won’t have a ton of problems with them, one of the alternative fuel systems would not be such a bad idea but like I said before, technology moves a lot quicker today than it did even a few years ago. As one example, not so long ago, the government was pushing auto manufacturers to do more with electric cars, then it became the hybrids and now they are jumping on the fuel cell wagon. We all know how slowly government works, if they are jumping from technology to technology like this in a ten year period, how much more is industry going through in the same amount of time? If Disney upgrades to the latest and greatest and spends hundreds of millions or billions to do so, and then two or three years later a newer, more efficient system is made available, there is no way they can afford to dump what they’ve got and upgrade. And then when Sea World or Universal pays half the price for the newer, better system with all the bugs already worked out, the same people who want monorails all over WDW today will be talking about how much better everyone else’s systems are…

Just as a side note, way back towards the beginning, someone posted a map that showed a rail system that would go from Disney to the rest of the Orlando area. I’m about 99% that that’s not Disney’s deal. Right now the state of Florida is in the process of planning a high speed rail that will connect the big cities and local governments in the Orlando area were looking into a branch of light rail that would stem off of their station for the high speed rail. Disney is not being totally cooperative with this because they don’t want a direct line from I-Drive to WDW. They want a stop with a separate route to their location because they don’t want to make it incredibly easy for their guests to hop on a monorail-like device and whiz right down to Universal or any of the slew of tourist shops on I-Drive (they already know that adding even one transfer will turn off a lot of their guests from bothering it and it’s understandable, because they don’t want to make it as easy to get to Universal from one of their resorts as it is to get to one of their parks). Conversely, for the exact same reason, Universal and the rest of them are pushing for one continuous track… In the end, Disney will probably get their way because in order for the system to be practical for tax payers, there has to be a line that reaches Disney and in order to do that, they either need Disney to give or let them use their land for track and a station or they have to condemn the land so that they can take it. Disney has already stated that if they try to condemn the land, Disney will fight it which means it could be delayed for a decade or more in court costing the taxpayers more than the cost of a separate track and train in the end…

MrPromey

Originally posted by no2apprentice

Anybody wanna take bets on how long it will be before we see a ride like this at IOA or Six Flaggs?:lol:

Maybe GenerationX and I should get together and patent this! Then we could sell it to Universal. Let me run a few names by you, ok?

Flaming Death
Slingshot To HELL
Goodness Gracious Great Balls Of…. Any others you can think of? ;)

jwbeck3

Here's an idea for Disney..........take the 1 billion dollars that it would costy for the monorail and give each park a 25o million dollar ride......id much rather ride on a bus than a monorail if each aprk got an awesome ride that would eb able to be built with a 250 million dollar budget

mlnance

Original Poster
I have read through all the old e-mail posts that I have missed. My ISP isn't cooperating. Anyway, I have to agree with Tyler now that I have thought about the whole thing for a while.

Although, I truely think that something is going to have to be done about the transportation if Disney decides to add a new park(S) down the road. Trying to ship guests to AK, MGM AND whatever new park by bus isn't going to cut it. I wasn't impress by the bus system when I went in '98. It seemed like it took forever to get to AK by bus. I know many people have said in this forum that buses are the best way, but I think Disney needs something else as a means for transportation. As the Disney saying goes, "If you can dream it, you can do it." And I think Disney needs to live up to their reputation. Because I think before long Disney is going to have some stiff competition as far as Theme Parks are concerned. Disney needs more thrill rides.
Mike

JLW11Hi

Even when I see the classic movie "Fahrenhiet 451", and I see the monorail, I think of Disney. Very Cool.

Holy Cow! Me too!! :D

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a suspended monorail? Well, cool, but not practical I suppose.

I guess Disney has enough monorails. But aren't they kinda a trademark of WDW? And who said that buses are more comfortable than monorails? Sorry, I don't mean to argue. But wouldn't adding ANY new types of transportation be beneficial to Dinsney? I mean, if they add another bus to their fleet, wouldn't that make it that many bus loads of people in line less to worry about? Or would that simply encourage more people to use the transportation provided, and end up with the same number of people in line? I think it is a good idea to balance both the idea of moving people with smaller vehicles that come by often (ex. buses, that new taxi idea), and then have the huge types of transportation like monorails that come by not as often, and move loads of peopel at a time. Then mabey have a combination of the two with the light rail idea. It never hurts to diversify.

And even though the monorail is a trademark of WDW, there could be many more new inventions that could also become trademarks for Disney. The current monorail system is, in my eyes, still a good way to get around. I mean, it was perfect to have it around the lagoon, because it could get people to the resorts and the MK faster than using the bus, which is limited to moving people by land. Other than that, I guess road vehicles are the way to go.

How about an underwater mode of transportation? Submarines? A rail system that travels underwater through a tube? Mabey a subway? Or a sky way? No, that would take too long, I suppose. Well, it would be a great scenic ride! Or mabey helicopters, or other air traveling vehicles? A "super speed" rail system, like a bullet train? Double decker busses?
:D

Rehabilitated

From an inside source the issue isn't and is money. It isn't money because Disney wants to spend almost none of their own money. Of course that means the issue is money because they want the public to fund the monorail (hence the very comopolitan look of the route from the MtS site displayed by one poster). There are alot of arguments on both sides, but it might just be cheaper for Orange County, Orlando, and Disney to move their money from buses, road building & maintenance, and airport improvements to a monorail.

TURKEY

Originally posted by mlnance

Although, I truely think that something is going to have to be done about the transportation if Disney decides to add a new park(S) down the road. Trying to ship guests to AK, MGM AND whatever new park by bus isn't going to cut it. I wasn't impress by the bus system when I went in '98. It seemed like it took forever to get to AK by bus. I know many people have said in this forum that buses are the best way, but I think Disney needs something else as a means for transportation. As the Disney saying goes, "If you can dream it, you can do it." And I think Disney needs to live up to their reputation. Because I think before long Disney is going to have some stiff competition as far as Theme Parks are concerned. Disney needs more thrill rides.

By adding more parks, that means that there are more parks to spread to the parks, therefore reducing the demand to get to each park.

The bus system has changed since 1998. That's four years ago. AK is the farthest park to get to from every resort except All-Stars and AKL.

Disney isn't going to have any competition from any park that has to transport as many guests or transport them as far.

I could dream up lots of elaborate designed resorts, parks, rides, transportation systems (including transporters from Star Trek), but that doesn't mean that any of them are realistic or economically feasible.

JLW11Hi

Hey, what if they had like a thrill ride that could bring people from one place to the next? A roller coaster from MGM to Animal Kingdom? Wow, that would probably drive the ride maintenance guys nuts, I am guessing! :hammer:

GenerationX

I'm with you, MrPromey on the Guest-Sling-Shot-O-Rama!

Love your naming suggestions. How 'bout:

Mission: SpaceBalls

or, if you pay extra, you could make it a Character Launch.

coopdog

Mrpromey- that was what I had in mind the buses would not travel on the "buses only" roads the whole time on there routes.
just the longer more packed roads with alot of stop lights and places in disney that there's no easy way to get to. I know that it is a long bus ride from akl to mk so it must be just long to the mk resorts to ak and dtd,epcot, mgm. I am not sure the distance from ak to mk or mgm to mk resorts. i think it would cool if you could traval from your hotel part of the way on roads for wdw buses only faster then takeing your car or comeing from off wdw property. Disney could put up signs that says wdw buses only and cameras to make sure that all that's on the special roads. then when disney opens a new resort thay just have to build a road leading in to the special bus route with little cost. It would be like monorail on the ground if thay could automate the thing at high speeds

freediverdude

Well this is the last time I'm posting on this subject because nobody seems to be either paying attention to what i'm proposing or seeing the real logistics of it. It would spread people out over the whole system, with very little idle standing and waiting (i don't understand why a 3/4 empty train would mean a longer wait, but whatever), and monorails board with many doors, so that people get on and off quickly, unlike buses with only one door. I would be happy to discuss this plan with anyone who would like to, but it seems wasted on this board.

DisneyKrazed

For expansion (which won't happen), WDW should connect all the parks to one large TTA. A terminal like building at a airport. Restrant, Stores, and the bus/ monorail lines. Have one line go to each park. Then have the busses bring guest back to resorts. Have one HUGE parking lot with a freeway for a exit and hundreds of trams would add a great amount of connvinence and the terminal would make money for Disney.

Hey I can dream :cool:

cymbaldiva

Great ideas ya'll, but it'll never happen - if the transportation was so great that we could be anywhere we wanted when we wanted to be there, just imagine how long the lines would be in the parks! I think the transportation is just helping Disney with crowd control! :D

MrPromey

Originally posted by freediverdude
Well this is the last time I'm posting on this subject because nobody seems to be either paying attention to what i'm proposing or seeing the real logistics of it. It would spread people out over the whole system, with very little idle standing and waiting (i don't understand why a 3/4 empty train would mean a longer wait, but whatever), and monorails board with many doors, so that people get on and off quickly, unlike buses with only one door. I would be happy to discuss this plan with anyone who would like to, but it seems wasted on this board.

. The reason I say that a train going only a third full would result in longer waits is simple. The trains can only wait in a station for so long. How long would you as a guest be willing to sit in a car and wait till it started moving? Ten minutes? Twenty? I’m sure that some of our cast member friends can clue us in on what the actual average load/unload time is when there are no delays. I know it’s got to be less than five minutes though… Anyway, please forgive me if I’m wrong since I’m too tired to go back and look for your post that gave the numbers but I recall you saying something about the trains being able to easily accommodate a thousand people. That would make them over three times as long as they currently are. Now, if the current tracks can only support a maximum of four trains at their current size with the average being three, it seems that the most that the current tracks would be able to hold is a single train. That means that a person who wants to go to the magic kingdom from the current TTA will either have to wait an exceedingly long time to fill up a train to go or they are going to have to wait longer for that train to come all the way back around because it didn’t wait for them. The thousand person capacity would be useful in the mornings and the evenings but in the middle of the day when there are only a hundred or so people getting on the current trains at a time are they going to make you sit and wait for more people or are they going to make people sit and wait because they sent the train out a few minutes ago mostly empty?.. And in truth, that larger size would not be of benefit to the shorter more frequent trips (which would amount to going from anywhere on WDW property to anywhere else since trains of this size usually cover much longer distances. A simple example is to look at RnR. In full capacity it can have five trains on its track at one time. The track isn’t all that long so why can’t a ride like Hulk that is a good bit longer do the same thing? For starters, Disney has separate loading and unloading areas. While you are getting into your seat, the people in the train behind you are getting out and the people in front of you are gearing up for a launch and a train can be on the tracks and a train can be in the corridor just before the unloading platform. The idea behind this is to have somebody always getting on or off and a train always ready to go. It allows the largest capacity for the ride by adding just a little bit more length of slow track and a second station… To a lesser degree, this same logic applies to the monorail system. On the express track of MK and the track to Epcot, when there is a train in one station, there should be one in another station and one somewhere in between. This stagers the loading and unloading because as you are boarding, you don’t have to wait for the people boarding in the other station. Just like you don’t have to wait for the other station to unload because it happens while your station is unloading. In peak times, you would have to wait at a single station for a thousand people to get on. This is fine on a cross-country train ride where you are expected to show up 30 minutes to an hour in advance but when you are only going a mile or so it becomes really inefficient Plus, at the end of the night, that station at the MK is going to back up a lot as it waits for a single train to go all the way to the end, unload and come back. Even with expanded rails that would allow for more of these trains at a time, trains with larger capacities means having to get more people to do the same thing at the same time. They would need a TTA that would rival Grand Central Station to handle all of that. Personally, I don’t see anything magical about that. The current system allows people to go more frequently in smaller numbers to directly where they want to go. If your people mover/monorail system were implemented you would have people coming in constantly from the people movers because we assume with them each handling a smaller capacity, the wait time for them would be much shorter. True the monoral has more doors but it also has a lot more people that have to get through those doors and once they get off the train, the have to go somewhere don’t they? Does that mean that instead of fighting 300 people to the courtesy tram loading areas, someone would now be dealing with a thousand? If you are on your way back to the All Stars or Pop Century, how long would you want to wait at the end of the night for a peoplemover since the those would be the largest single destinations for on property guests at that time of the day? If a monorail dropped a thousand people at a time at the gaits to MK, what kinds of lines do you think you would have to get through the turnstiles, especially with the current security measures? I’ve heard people complain with the current number of guest being sent through. These people would then have to be shuffled into switchbacks as bad or worse than any ride as they wait for a monorail train to arrive and unload because they would otherwise have a thousand people standing on the platform waiting during peak times and as someone else pointed out, what competition does Disney have with other theme parks for mass transit? Both parks at Universal don’t even see as many guests in an average day as the MK alone sees. Universals, solution is boats to the resorts, and walking, walking, walking (till you get past city walk) to conveyor belts that that for some reason seem to have issues with reliability which sometimes means more walking all the way from the park to your car. Are you talking about Sea World? They see even less than Universal. If someone here is trying to make the argument that people are going to start going to the other parks because of Disney’s current transportation system, I really don't understand how they are drawing that conclusion.

Freediverdude, even if you still don't agree with me and take nothing else away from my post, at least know that someone is paying attention to your posts and is at least giving them a good deal of thought even if they don't agree with the posts. :)

MrPromey

Originally posted by Rehabilitated
From an inside source the issue isn't and is money. It isn't money because Disney wants to spend almost none of their own money. Of course that means the issue is money because they want the public to fund the monorail (hence the very comopolitan look of the route from the MtS site displayed by one poster). There are alot of arguments on both sides, but it might just be cheaper for Orange County, Orlando, and Disney to move their money from buses, road building & maintenance, and airport improvements to a monorail.

When the other boys in the neighborhood get to the size that Disney is today and deal with the volume of people that Disney deals with today, we’ll see how they handle it. I’m still waiting to see that conveyor belt link between Universal Studios and Wet n Wild.Would you think the busses were so non-magical if Disney had never used a monorail system? Someone else brought up the subject of Disney somehow trying not to pay for an expansion. As I said before, the map that shows lines going off WDW property aren’t Disney’s deal and yes, Disney expects someone else to pick up the tab for the track and station on their property. Why? Well, it would benefit Disney guests to some degree because they could take the line from the airport without the need of a limo or taxi but Disney currently isn’t loosing any noticeable business because of that. This line would also be a funnel for Disney resort guests right off Disney property to Seaworld, and Universal and all of I-Drive and with a transfer or two, it would put Bush Gardens in Tampa only a high speed rail away. Disney has almost everything to loose from this plan and almost nothing to gain. The fact that they are even willing to discuss this plan is surprising to me. As I said in another post, Disney is pushing for their own track with their own cars that people would have to transfer on an off of to go anywhere else in the Orlando area. They want this because they know that guests don’t like to transfer and are more likely not to bother with it if there is a transfer than if they can just hop on a train and go. The rest of the Orlando are is not incredibly thrilled by Disney’s request because it would effectively eliminate the most valuable reason for laying the track in that area to begin with – siphoning more business from the mouse.

Inside sources from wdw are easy to come by since they employ over 50,000 people an contract with even more in the Orlando area but unfortunately, most are not reliable. :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by MrPromey
....... A simple example is to look at RnR. In full capacity it can have five trains on its track at one time. The track isn’t all that long so why can’t a ride like Hulk that is a good bit longer do the same thing?..........

Which is better, RnR or The Hulk? Please don't get that argument going again! HaHaHa :brick: :brick:

MrPromey

Originally posted by Herbie53

Which is better, RnR or The Hulk? Please don't get that argument going again! HaHaHa :brick: :brick:

Well, for ride experience we could have a big argument on our hands but if you are talking about traffic flow, RnR wins hands down because Disney put a lot more thought into that than B&M does with any of their coasters. :)

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by MrPromey

Well, for ride experience we could have a big argument on our hands but if you are talking about traffic flow, RnR wins hands down because Disney put a lot more thought into that than B&M does with any of their coasters. :)

You'll get no argument from me!! :D

Invero

Wow... I go to work... and when I come back... tons of new discussions! I have to say, I'm really glad that we have a good, deep, FRIENDLY, intellectual discussion/debate/whatever going on... :D Keep up the good discussion folks! :)

I'm gonna try and see what I'm gonna reply to.

MrPromney... you make some very excellent points, especially about the environmental factor. Everyone thinks, Busses = Dirty Smokey Bad... and Monorails = Environmentally Friendly! Well... like you said... the monorails, which use an extremely high amount of energy per train are run by power plants using fossil fuels. Thank you for your very well thought out posts. (and of course to everyone elses posts too... hehe)

Originally posted by Herbie53
Maybe Walt's interest in trains played a role in the decision to use monorails at first. They seem to have been placed during the decline of railway traffic. That's not very forward thinking necessarily. Since then, semi-trucks have become dominant over trains for their flexibility and efficiency in terms of networking across the interstate. With Walt and his interests gone, WDW seems to have followed the national trend.

Indeed, Walt's love of trains played a HUGE role. For those who don't know... Disneyland did NOT open with a Monorail. In fact, the Monorail didn't come till about 4 years later. However, Walt did have something else... it was called the Viewliner. It was supposed to be a futuristic train... however, all it really was, was a modified Oldsmobile on rails, with passenger cars. It ran on gasoline, and it was even a stick shift. As you can imagine, this didn't go over very well, and Walt needed something WOW... so, he discovered Monorails, and well, the rest is history.

Originally posted by GaryT977
I understand the desire to make everyone happy, but to me there's nothing worse then trying to make things work to the lowest common denominator.

Here's the thing though... the "lowest common denominator" as you refer to it... is your next door neighbor. It's your friend at work. It's John Q. Public. Whether they be an attorney, doctor, professor, cashier, basket weaver, farmer, WHATEVER... you would be AMAZED at how highly INTELLIGENT people can be baffled by the slightest bit of complexity.

As MrPromney said earlier... those folks who live in cities such as NYC, Boston, San Franciso... and use the public transportation... They've spent thier lives there using it, and knowing it. That's how they know thier way around. Folks down here at Disney, they're only here for a week on average... they dont have the time nor the patience to learn a new "complicated" transportation system. I can tell you after working in monorails... the act of having to transfer to get to Epcot BAFFLES a lot of people.

A simple thing. You board this train to the TTC... you then exit, and board the Epcot monorail. Doesn't sound complicated, right? Well... next time you're at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot... stand by the Greeter for about a half hour... You'll see what I mean.

Originally posted by COOPDOG
I think if disney built some buses only roads. the buses could make trips from one place and back faster with faster top speeds less brakeing at all the stop lights, would save a lot of time at peak times when the roads are jamed .It would save fuel, less upkeep all around for the buses, one bus could make more trips in one hour so less buses would be needed. disney would have to do alot of planing but I think some thing like this would cost a lot less then a monorail expansion.

This is called "BRT" or, Bus Rapid Transit. It's currently in use here with the Lymmo system in downtown Orlando. The busses have dedicated lanes, and trigger all the traffic lights, so they never get slowed down. It's also being built into the Boston Silverline. It's a great concept, and can really help out in certain areas.

The great thing about it is that BRT has the Right Of Way power that an elevated guideway system would have..... combined with the Flexibility of a free-moving bus.

I'm trying to think if this would work for Disney's benefit, though... The only road that we really encounter traffic on is Buena Vista Drive... and I'm not sure if that would help... or hinder BVD... I'll think about it and see if I can make it work in my head, and get back to you. :)

Originally posted by GenerationX
Forget the monorail. Forget the buses. What we need are huge slingshots at each resort pointed toward the parks and huge slingshots at each park pointed toward the resorts. We'd need correspondingly large nets at each spot, of course, to catch the guests. We'd also need CMs as "air traffic controllers" to make sure no one collided mid-air.

YEEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWW.... I can just see it now... Make sure it has a fast pass too!!! :)

Originally posted by freediverdude
I still don't see why my idea wouldn't work. For one thing, at the park exits at MK and Epcot, there would be two different monorail routes for people to get on- not everyone would be trying to get on the same one. And if the tracks were doubled and full-size cars used, since the monorails would only be going to the major parks and DD
Okay, I'll see if I can explain it better. Your keywords are "the monorails would only be going to the major parks" Park to Park guest traffic is minimal. Most of the times, (with the exception of AK) the parks close within the same time frame. Recently, it's been Epcot at 9, Studios at 9 or 10, and MK at 10 or 11.

The ONLY time when park to park traffic increases is when the Magic Kingdom closes at 6 or 7pm.

If he posted flow charts, showing numbers of guest flow during different times of the day, monorail timetables and capacity charting, then I would probably have a far better idea of some of his explanations. But he hasn't, but I'll still take him at his word when he says the logistics do not support an expansion, because of his experience.

Unfortunetly, accurate numbers aren't really kept anymore. Monorails got rid of the turnstile counters a long time ago, and the Count Sheets on the busses are usually averages, guesses, and fictitious numbers... Me personally, I'm too busy greeting my guests, answering questions, and watching the back door to count everyone on board. So usually, I'll glance up... "Hrmm... most of the seats are filled... about 40"

However... while I do not have exact numbers, like you said, I do have my daily experience. I have my eyes, and my knowledge of how things work. I'm there EVERY DAY... (in fact, I have only had 3 days off since March... by choice of course... and those days were spent AT Disney... and I did use Disney Transportation on those days)

As far as cost, I have no idea what the proposed costs might be for an expansion. Tyler estimated 1 billion dollars (ouch).
There actually was a study done awhile ago, and $900 million was the number I heard. Not quite sure how reliable that is/was... plus, you have to figure... it's gonna go over budget... the Lowest Bidder ALWAYS goes over budget. LOL...

By comparison... Disney's Animal Kingdom cost about $800 million to build... and DAK has the potential to MAKE money.

Originally posted by MrPromney
What about modified courtesy trams? Like enclosed versions of what you ride on the backlot tour? (then again, maybe not) The whole alternative fuel thing sounds like a great idea but until more has been done with it, on a smaller scale, I don’t think it’s a good idea for Disney.

Agreed... until Alternative Fuels become more stable, and reliable, Disney should stick to Diesel. Of course, a Diesel/Electric Hybrid might have potential. As for your idea of modified trams... and also related to the previous... Boston is currently implementing a BRT system using Diesel/Electric hybrid Articulated busses. These 60ft long coaches can hold 120 people, and maneuver in pretty much the same areas that a standard bus can.

I would like to see Disney look into the potential of Artic's but, of course, we still run into the whole "It's not as cool as a monorail" argument. In addition, Disney would have to completely redesign a lot of the load zones to accommodate the 60ft bus.

Originally posted by mlnance
It seemed like it took forever to get to AK by bus.
To get to/from the Magic Kingdom to/from Animal Kindom Lodge... (which is the two furthest points on property) takes 12-14 minutes. And this can be accomplished by following all speed limits. While it may "Seem" like forever, I assure you, it's not. In comparison... the average cycle time for a resort monorail is 20 minutes... often times more during the day. This means that it can take 15+ minutes to get from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom. The two closest points can take longer than the two furthest points. Go figure.

By the way... one point I'd like to mention. Everyone seems to be under the impression that AK is waaaaaaaay out there. In actuality... you've got the wrong Kingdom. Surprise Surprise, but the Magic Kingdom is the one that is way out there.

Animal Kingdom, AK Lodge, All Stars, Coronado, Studios, Downtown Disney, Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West, Port Orleans... and yes, even Epcot... they're all right off of Buena Vista Drive. The MK area is the one thats located on the other end of property, secluded from most everything else. But of course... it was first... so we really don't look at it that way.

Originally posted by MrPromney
If a monorail dropped a thousand people at a time at the gaits to MK, what kinds of lines do you think you would have to get through the turnstiles,
There are some mornings when the monorails are actually told to hold outside of the station, despite there not being any train in the station. Other times, we'd be limited to 15mph.... The reason being, the turnstiles would get so bogged down with people, they couldn't keep up. (BTW, this happened both prior to, and after the new security measures)

*PHEW*... okay, I think I covered it all. :D

WDWspider

Originally posted by turkey leg boy

There isn't much pressure on park to park service. It's pressure on park to resort service. Adding park to park service isn't needed. Buses easily take care of that demand.

You talk about cost/benefit and bottom lines. Having park to park monorails isn't smart. You can't add in people's pleasure into a cost/benefit analysis. Simply there are too many thoughts and opinions of the guests. The only benefits that can be added are business ones.

Actually it would show up on the balance sheet as a big expense, thus making it a bad investment for the company. With the way the economy is now, businesses better look at the bottom line, not the benefit a project such as a monorail expansion would have.

I haven't read to the end yet, but if you don't built park to park service then what's the point. I would mainly want to see just that, a lot of you are arguing this too much as a real transportation problem solution, the monorail is meant as a fun alternative found very few places in the world. Why else was the EPCOT track built? It never once occured to me that they would build the monorail to solve a problem, I just thought it would be for fun and atmosphere. I thought the buses were for transportation and the monorail was a perk. That's why I go to the TTC every year to ride into EPCOT rather than take a bus, of course I may be out of the norm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom