Monorail Crash in 1980?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invero

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Couldn't the nose to nose thing be dangerous if someone isn't careful.

Yes... it can be very dangerous... Once the trains get to within 10ft of each other, they get a Green MBS... which basically in English means that the train thinks there isn't another train in front of it, and can go full speed.

So, anytime we park them nose to nose, a manager will select two experienced drivers. One will park the first train, put it in reverse, and be prepared to floor it in reverse. The second train will then come in, at 1mph, and inch up to the other train. The Manager will be standing by with a remote power kill pack. As soon as the train is about a few feet away, they will kill power, which will stop the train. When we un-park them, the process is reversed.

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

Unfortunetly, I don't beleive I have any pictures of trains nose to nose at the Contemporary on my computer... I do have one of them nose to nose at the TTC...

This picture was taken by a former Monorail Pilot about a year ago, maybe. The reason they had to park 2 trains at Concourse (TTC/Epcot beam) is because maintenance was doing work on the switch beam, and were unable to switch one of the 3 trains off the Epcot beam. Managers were so paranoid that the brakes would slip and the trains would collide (they were both on hills), they put wood blocks under each of the wheels...

Awwwww.... they're kissing! :lol: :lol:

YoHo

How does the Technology on Disneyland's MKV compare to that of the MKiV and the MKVI?
I know that Disneyland's have a different far less convienet seating arangment and that the doors have to be manually opened and closed.
They really aren't looking so good any more. they also seem to have a slightly different Roofline from the MK Monos.

Nineinchnailsmk

I though i saw a crash on tv a while back, but i was also young, so of course my mind is a little blurry. Anyway, im not the expert here..lol

Invero

Originally posted by YoHo
How does the Technology on Disneyland's MKV compare to that of the MKiV and the MKVI?
I know that Disneyland's have a different far less convienet seating arangment and that the doors have to be manually opened and closed.
They really aren't looking so good any more. they also seem to have a slightly different Roofline from the MK Monos.

The ONLY simmilarities between a DL MkV and a WDW MkVI is in the basic appearance. Everything else is COMPLETELY different. In fact the two trains are totally incompatible with each other.

The MkV trains were based on the MkIII train chassis... they're about 137ft long, with seating only. They cruise at approx 30-35mph. Just a few months ago, thier trains underwent a rehab, and they recieved a computerized monitoring system. In addition, they borrowed from us a MAPO anti-collision system, and an Alison heat detection system to add to thier trains. (Previously they didnt have anything for those things). One thing to note, these trains are purely an Attraction.

The MkVI's trains here at WDW are true Transit-grade monorails. We unlike DL, are a true transportation system. Our trains are 203ft long, can carry 125% more people, operate at faster speeds, and are more technologically advanced.

Tramp

There doesn't seem to be a consensus here on whether or not the trains have ever collided...what's the REAL answer? And what's with the rumor mill concerning all this?...Is this a CMs answer to 'war stories?":lol:

also, Fantasia Boi, the monorails seem to be able to stop on a dime....and the sight line seems very extensive as you travel your route....other than very bad weather, fog etc....or falling asleep at the controls, have you ever had any close calls with ramming into the back of another train...

...I seem to recall from riding upfront with you guys every now and then that you allow more than sufficient clearance before moving into the next sector of your route. I remember sitting idle several hundred yards from the MK station for several minutes even though NO train was in the station...

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

The ONLY simmilarities between a DL MkV and a WDW MkVI is in the basic appearance. Everything else is COMPLETELY different. In fact the two trains are totally incompatible with each other.

The MkV trains were based on the MkIII train chassis... they're about 137ft long, with seating only. They cruise at approx 30-35mph. Just a few months ago, thier trains underwent a rehab, and they recieved a computerized monitoring system. In addition, they borrowed from us a MAPO anti-collision system, and an Alison heat detection system to add to thier trains. (Previously they didnt have anything for those things). One thing to note, these trains are purely an Attraction.

The MkVI's trains here at WDW are true Transit-grade monorails. We unlike DL, are a true transportation system. Our trains are 203ft long, can carry 125% more people, operate at faster speeds, and are more technologically advanced.

But since DL does use them for transportation can't they be dangerous?

degunter

Disneyland Monorail Stuck and Tow 1 of 3

While visiting Disneyland in 2000, we saw Monorail Purple get stuck right after we had gotten off of it. We waiting to see what would happen for about 30 minutes until the "Monorail Tow-Truck" got there and pushed it into the station. Here are some pictures of that. Pic 1 of 3

Attachments

• dlmonostuck.jpg
    dlmonostuck.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 341

Invero

Originally posted by Tramp
There doesn't seem to be a consensus here on whether or not the trains have ever collided...what's the REAL answer? And what's with the rumor mill concerning all this?...Is this a CMs answer to 'war stories?":lol:

also, Fantasia Boi, the monorails seem to be able to stop on a dime....and the sight line seems very extensive as you travel your route....other than very bad weather, fog etc....or falling asleep at the controls, have you ever had any close calls with ramming into the back of another train...

...I seem to recall from riding upfront with you guys every now and then that you allow more than sufficient clearance before moving into the next sector of your route. I remember sitting idle several hundred yards from the MK station for several minutes even though NO train was in the station...

Okay... collisions... There has been ONE... Valentines day, early 70's... with Blue & Red at the MK station. This was back in the days before the anti-collision system. Disney quickly covered this up, and installed the WABCO system into the trains to prevent this from happening ever again. We now use the MAPO system.

As for stopping on a dime... well... as a driver... I can tell you, pulling into stations, you'll often see us overshoot our mark, and have to reverse. The reason for this is that certain trains (namely all) tend to slide a bit... lol... The only time those trains will come to an abrupt halt is an Emergency stop which is 80psi of air brakes... this is caused by a MAPO Red. (when a train gets too close to another)

Typically, trains are not allowed to get within 2 "holdpoints" of another train. The amount of feet this is varies around the beam. If there is a train in one of the stations, the other train will get an Amber from the Mapo system, and have to hold outside the station.

You mentioned that you held outside the station even though there wasn't another train in there... that could be a few reasons. Sometimes they might kill power to the station if a guest gets too close, or if they have to retrieve something from the trough. Also during peak times, we will slow the trains down and hold them outside the MK to allow the lines for turnstiles to lessen. Another place is outside the TTC and Poly resorts. Because of the way the holdpoints are, there will be a train at the Grand Floridian, a train at 129 (the holdpoint for GF), and then you'd be holding at 145. So it'd appear as if there's no train in the Poly... but yet the train can't move any closer.

I know, I know... lots of Mono-babble... but trust me... they were holding for a reason. :)

Invero

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

But since DL does use them for transportation can't they be dangerous?

They are still an attraction. And no, they're not dangerous at all. They have the same safety features as we do at WDW.

Invero

Re: More Pics

Originally posted by Apot2788
Fantasia Boi do you have any more pics(more top secret stuf!) PLEASE

I'll see what I can dig up. In the meantime, degunter has some nice pics of DL's Purple :)

Speaking of Purple... here's a Mark VI console. :)

Attachments

• dcp01060.jpg
    dcp01060.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 399
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom