Monorail Crash in 1980?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I was just down in Orlando a few weeks ago, and on the news was a report that one of the trains stoped and stranded all the passangers.

They showed on the news a couple of fire truck with latters helping the passangers off the train and back doen to the ground.

I think this wa on Feb 21 or 22.

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
I was just down in Orlando a few weeks ago, and on the news was a report that one of the trains stoped and stranded all the passangers.

They showed on the news a couple of fire truck with latters helping the passangers off the train and back doen to the ground.

I think this wa on Feb 21 or 22.

That was at Disneyland in CA. The monorail had lost power or something and they had to get the passengers out.. there was no crash though.

SykedOwt

Judging By the Setups of the Monorails and The way that they are put together I dont think a "crash" is actully possible.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by SykedOwt
Judging By the Setups of the Monorails and The way that they are put together I dont think a "crash" is actully possible.

Well the noses of the monorails can hit and cause a lot of damage.

3rdShiftCM

Originally posted by Tom Morrow

That was at Disneyland in CA. The monorail had lost power or something and they had to get the passengers out.. there was no crash though.

Yes, that was at DL. Monorail orange lost power(not the track the train itself)and had to to Evaced. You may ask why they didnt use the Mule tow vehicle, well the train stalled on the transfer track:lol: so it could not be pulled out.

There are 2 modified Mark IV trains in use in Las Vegas, at least for now. They are running between the MGM Grand and Bally's hotels. They will be in use until the new expanded Monorail system goes into service in 2003-2004. So if your in Vegas anytime soon go check them out.

Al

whats the life span of the current monorails?

also, is it true that somebody drove the monorail through the contemporary once and woke up everyone??? please tell more if you know!

where are the monorails stored at night, or are they just left on the track :veryconfu

Al

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
If he did wake everyone up, he probably isn't driving monorails anymore

yeah, i think i heard that story of these forums ages ago (i cant be sure though). I also heard that he got the sack.

DBF John - those pics are cool! thanks!! :D

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Alberrisford

yeah, i think i heard that story of these forums ages ago (i cant be sure though). I also heard that he got the sack.

DBF John - those pics are cool! thanks!! :D

I would expect it if he woke everyone in the hotel up.

That story is true....my girlfriend and I were riding shotgun really late one night...and as we passed thru the Cntemporary, I asked if anybody had been tempted to let the bullhorn rip...he said a rookie did it on a adre and was termed the next day...but I would think some glass would break...those horns are made to be heard like a 1/4 mile away....probbaly would scare people out of their sleep

Al

Originally posted by MonorailBlack
That story is true....my girlfriend and I were riding shotgun really late one night...and as we passed thru the Cntemporary, I asked if anybody had been tempted to let the bullhorn rip...he said a rookie did it on a adre and was termed the next day...but I would think some glass would break...those horns are made to be heard like a 1/4 mile away....probbaly would scare people out of their sleep

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NowInc

Yeah..I heard about that one too...and it does seem very true. It isnt something that would be "made up" such as a monorail colission ;)

Monorail Lime

The guy who blew the horn in the Contemporary several years back was a College Program member. Following that there were a couple of years when CPs weren't allowed into the Transportation department. The problem with the Contemporary is the glass walls help echo loud sounds throughout the enclosed space which makes the horn even louder than it already is. Supposedly it shattered a lot of dishes in the restaurant and caused a number of people to experience temporary loss of hearing. I bet they got a nice fat settlement out of it!

Pioneer Hall

i had no idea those horns were so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have to be in case there is ever an emergency. This way they can be heard from wherever they are.

Invero

Yep... people have blown thier horns in the Contemporary late at night before, and I'm sure it woke a few people up. As for breaking dishes or causing loss of hearing... I'd be a bit skeptical about that. And no one lost thier job over it. I know that for a fact, because I know two people who have.

The loudness of the horns really depends on the train... Each train has a different sounding horn... Dont know why... they just do. Lime has the loudest of all the horns, Cab 1 of Red has the deepest of the horns, Cab 6 Purple has the highest pitched horn, whereas Cab 1 of Purple has a good tootin' horn. :) Silver, Gold and Green all have relatively quiet horns.

Technically speaking, we're not allowed to honk our horns at all... but a lot of drivers (myself included) will honk to a passing train if we're not near a Guest area. Another time we will honk will be for the first loaded MK Express train of the day. We'll give a big loud and long honk as we leave the station.

Now, you really want something that will wake people up? Try towing a train through the Contemporary with the Diesel tow-tractor at 6am... That's always fun! Those tractors are loud...

Sheri

:eek: I'd have been sooo mad if they woke me up, lol, I get mad at my alarm clock every morning and that's (most likely, lol) not half as loud as a monorail horn, lol

Invero

whats the life span of the current monorails?

where are the monorails stored at night, or are they just left on the track :veryconfu

Life span: 30+years... The old Mark IV Monorails were used at the Walt Disney World resort for 20 years, and 2 trains can be found currently in use in Las Vegas. In theory, there's really nothing wrong with the trains, and they could provide many many more years of faithful service. However, Vegas will be replacing them with newer MVI trains built by Bombardier/TGI based on the Disney Mark VI design.

Our current Mark VI trains have been in use since 1989-1991, and have logged around a million miles per train. They've been beaten to a pulp by guests abusing them, but they still run just fine, and have at least 25 years of service left in them. As with the old Mark IV trains, we constant upgrade the trains with new systems and better components to make them better. We're currently in the process of repainting the trains. We're also in the process of upgrading many of the computer systems to improve system performance and features.

As for where they are stored, we have 12 trains. Monorail Shop has 10 beams, but we can only really fit 8 or 9 trains in there. Beam 6 is used for the Work Tractors, and Beam 10 is used for painting. We usually keep at least 4 or 5 trains out on the system over night. During cold weather, we will park 4 trains nose to nose in the Contemporary.

Al

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

During cold weather, we will park 4 trains nose to nose in the Contemporary.

cool! i would love to see that!!! does anyone have any photos of this?? :)

Invero

cool! i would love to see that!!! does anyone have any photos of this?? :)

Unfortunetly, I don't beleive I have any pictures of trains nose to nose at the Contemporary on my computer... I do have one of them nose to nose at the TTC...

This picture was taken by a former Monorail Pilot about a year ago, maybe. The reason they had to park 2 trains at Concourse (TTC/Epcot beam) is because maintenance was doing work on the switch beam, and were unable to switch one of the 3 trains off the Epcot beam. Managers were so paranoid that the brakes would slip and the trains would collide (they were both on hills), they put wood blocks under each of the wheels...

Attachments

• kissingfromcentral.jpg
    kissingfromcentral.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 480
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom