Monorail Accident

Space Mountain

This hasn't been mentioned, but hopefully thought of....I left the Kingdom from working at 1:30am. The lines from Magic Kingdom to BOTH monorail beams were huge with extended queues out to the security checkpoints for the park. I can't possibly even come close to think about how they were able to move out all these people and also those who arrived on Express Line at TTC when this happened. There are definetely more pictures out there and probably close to at least 1,000 witnesses. On top of the problems that had already occured with angry guests for the day, this WILL hurt the company....Hopefully we will get to know what happened for sure. I honestly hope it was human error, because if not, we can all expect to have the monorail 101 for a long time and many rules and regulations changed to our fleet and others around the world with similar safety systems.

Krozar

From the pictures, it is obvious that the trains collided outside and were then moved under cover in the station (or vice versa). How were they able to move two trains at once without pulling them apart? Anyone have a thought on this? It will also be interesting to see how Disney hides this from view today.

Maybe because they were worried about getting the driver and the guests out ASAP.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
My condolences going out to all involved...

While this IS very tragic - this could have been soooooooo much worse if it had happened just an hour earlier. Think of the major crowds that were still leaving at 1AM - as opposed to 2AM.

mpaul32001

My condolences to the Driver's family. This REALLY does sadden me.
I do however sense the end of riding in the front car with the driver...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This hasn't been mentioned, but hopefully thought of....I left the Kingdom from working at 1:30am. The lines from Magic Kingdom to BOTH monorail beams were huge with extended queues out to the security checkpoints for the park. I can't possibly even come close to think about how they were able to move out all these people and also those who arrived on Express Line at TTC when this happened. There are definetely more pictures out there and probably close to at least 1,000 witnesses. On top of the problems that had already occured with angry guests for the day, this WILL hurt the company....Hopefully we will get to know what happened for sure. I honestly hope it was human error, because if not, we can all expect to have the monorail 101 for a long time and many rules and regulations changed to our fleet and others around the world with similar safety systems.
I would think that it would be easier to correct a program error then create a program to correct human error.

Either way, it should be down till either problem is fixed and tested.

I feel for the witnesses too. Nothing to describe the sickening feeling then seeing a car crash (or in this case, monorail crash)

My condolences to the Driver's family. This REALLY does sadden me.
I do however sense the end of riding in the front car with the driver...
definitely an interesting argument.

KeeKee

We were just there on Friday, and the trains were running at full capacity. The thought of this happening just a few hours earlier than it did is horrifying. It's horrifying enough that it happened at all...

Remember all involved in your prayers...

tomm4004

A quote from the Disney spokesman at the Sentinel now seems to indicate that the entire monorail system will be shut down, although I'm reading between the lines as it does not say that specifically. But it does seem probable.

"The monorail is out of service and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement to determine what happened and the approximate next steps."

Timekeeper

Zzzz

I wonder if the pilot could have fallen asleep "at the wheel" - or suffered a disabling event like a heart attack...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am only suggesting this simply because it has not been brought up yet and as a technical query for those that are far more knowledgeable than I in how the monorail works.

From what I am gathering from the information already in this thread it would take either a combination of operator error and mechanical failure (MAPO and the driver not paying attention) or a double mechanical failure (MAPO and the dead mans switch if the driver was incapacitated). While both scenarios are plausible neither seem all that probable.

Is it possible that this was intentional? Is that even possible? Can a driver simply disable the safety systems and hit another monorail?

hardcard

All things considered, the possibility of it NOT being human error is extremely unlikely.. Anyone familiar with the system knows that..

Unfortunately, it was likely the pilot that died that made the mistake.. The only other thing I could think of, is if the pilot had a problem that dibilitated them (or died) before the MAPO overrun.. Heart attack? Stroke? Passed out for other medical reasons?

You don't go through 5-10 years with the new 'glass cockpits' and then find a software bug.... Not with the way this system is taxed..

Will this hurt the company? Yes... but I expect the system to be back up and running within days... Possibly with express be brought online first..

tomm4004

...Is it possible that his was intentional? Is that even possible? Can a driver simply disable the safety systems and hit another monorail?

What do you mean by intentional? That the driver intentionally overrode the safety systems? To what purpose? And does anyone know if this is possible while the train is moving?

disney9752

Latest update, called City Hall, or MK guest relations at 1015am, NO MONORAIL SERVICE currently. Only busses & watercraft. :cry: My deepest condolences to the cm's family. As to how this happened, is a mystery to me. There are several safety systems built into the Mark VI trains that should have prevented this.

trentino

Somehow I think that when we see the monorail system come back up they will no longer allow guests in the front with the driver... and I think this will become a rule in place for good. This is just my guess. But I think having passengers ask to go up front has always been a pain for them but they did it as a special guest service. Now that this has happened, they will review all policies and determine that guests up front are too much potential for distraction and injury in the event of another accident.

What do you mean by intentional? That the driver intentionally overrode the safety systems? To what purpose? And does anyone know if this is possible while the train is moving?

According to Wikipedia, there is an override option.

And unfortunately I agree with you guys, I bet no more riding in front :( ... hope I'm wrong though.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Im not trying to make too much of what you said, but hoping that it was this CM's fault or human error, so that the monorail stays up and running and isnt down for an extended time period bothers me a bit. Im not one to make waves, but this kind of thinking would place a huge hurt on family members etc if there would have been other casualties involved if not this CM's casualty alone.

I could care less if the monorail is down for a year, as long as the issue is fixed and it doesnt happen again.

Again, not making waves, just wanted to express a different outlook. :wave:

sueuk

My sympathy goes to colleagues, family and friends of the dead driver, but also I'm very thankful for everyone celebrating the 4th of July at WDW that hundreds of people weren't injured or killed, as this could have so easily been the case. I hope not too many children witnessed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom