Moms panel is open!

Enderikari

My personal favorite is The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, It has alot of great tips, as well of maps that can be helpful prior to coming. I usually buy the Birnbaum's Official Guide mostly for the coupons in the back, and the color pictures, as my kids love to thumb through it. The other one, that I like is Foder's Walt Disney World with Kids, and really because I have such vast ages with my children. It also allows everyone to page through the books and find what the one thing they each want to do...I learned this last trip in October, if the kids plan some of the vacation, its actually less stressful...who'd a thought?? Anyway, those are 3 and I know you asked for one, but as far as guidebooks those are my favorites. Online...that would be a whole new post. Good Luck!!!

And it seems like a pretty decent answer, which recommends both official and non-official sources. Would you care for a plate so you can eat your words? Or would you care for a shovel to dig a little deeper?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

And it seems like a pretty decent answer, which recommends both official and non-official sources. Would you care for a plate so you can eat your words? Or would you care for a shovel to dig a little deeper?

Agreed... great response! They suggested the Unofficial Guide. Nice! Ok.. I am impressed so far. :lol:

Captain Hank

Cool idea for a resource. Flipping through it, however, I've noticed a few inaccuracies that could potentially lead to guest situations, like this one: http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?where=home&sort=&page=4&qid=450&pid=46&cid=107
It claims that Capt. Jack Sparrow is in the Disney Dreams Come True Parade, which he's not, and doesn't mention Capt. Jack's Pirate Tutorial. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out in time, though. Other than that, there's some good, practical information on there for first-time Guests.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Cool idea for a resource. Flipping through it, however, I've noticed a few inaccuracies that could potentially lead to guest situations, like this one: http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?where=home&sort=&page=4&qid=450&pid=46&cid=107
It claims that Capt. Jack Sparrow is in the Disney Dreams Come True Parade, which he's not, and doesn't mention Capt. Jack's Pirate Tutorial. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out in time, though.

I think the biggest problem right now is there's no way to flag a response for outdated (which many will become eventually) or inaccurate information.

Shere_Khan

I think the panel is a nice idea and I also hope it suceeds.

That being said, I noticed most of the questions are asked by Disney Cast Members. I am not a CM, but I guess I would figure, they would know the answers to many of those questions already. Do you think they had CM's ask some questions to get the ball rolling?
If they don't know the answers then that is totally fine, I was just wondering.

Captain Hank

I think the panel is a nice idea and I also hope it suceeds.

That being said, I noticed most of the questions are asked by Disney Cast Members. I am not a CM, but I guess I would figure, they would know the answers to many of those questions already. Do you think they had CM's ask some questions to get the ball rolling?
If they don't know the answers then that is totally fine, I was just wondering.
Presumably it was to build up a basic knowledge base on the site before it was launched. I'd assume that the CM's were instructed to ask questions that they thought would be helpful to first-time guests, even though they might have already known the answers themselves.

jiminy.cricket

No, look at this crapola:

Answer: My favorite counter service location in all of WDW is Sunshine Terrace in Epcot. It is in a section of Epcot called the Land. They have the largest and most diverse foods. There, everyone in your family can get what they choose and then sit together in the very pretty seating area. I have eaten there many times and have always found it pretty quick to get in and out.

By the way, the attraction "Soarin" is in the same area. It almost always has a very long wait time. You may want to get a fast pass before lunch, so that you can enjoy it afterwards.
Enjoy your trip - Michelle
----

That's quality!
LOL. :lol:

jakeman

I think the biggest problem right now is there's no way to flag a response for outdated (which many will become eventually) or inaccurate information.
Perhaps the forum is self-moderated and other "moms" will cross-check and correct, or remove, outdated and erroneous information. Therefore, they would not need an external reporting method.

disneydudette

I found the answers to be pretty misleading to be honest; decent information, but way to vague. When a family asked about affordable options for a family of 6, she commented on the wilderness cabins, connecting rooms, and how both those were more affordable than the deluxe villas. True information, but where is the part that connecting rooms are not gaurenteed? Why no mention of the new Family suite? These comfortably sleep 6 and offers a fridge and microwave and is slightly more than two rooms? Plus a private bedroom for the parents which is great for when the kids fall asleep.

Thats an answer that I would have loved to have seen. I feel like the response given was exactly what someone could have found by general research on the Disney website.

I doubt this will fail... but I'm in the process of writing a letter to Disney in regards to this... I think feedback is important.

Shere_Khan

Presumably it was to build up a basic knowledge base on the site before it was launched. I'd assume that the CM's were instructed to ask questions that they thought would be helpful to first-time guests, even though they might have already known the answers themselves.

That's what I was thinking, but I think they should not even have specified they were CM's.

pennyarcade

I think this is a smart idea on Disney's part, in spirit. But I'm sort of shocked at the plentiful spelling and grammatical errors, particularly from the panelists. As an "official" resource, it seems a bit unprofessional to allow so many typos to slip by without correction.

Given that Disney spent so much time/effort training these folks, one would think they'd make sure these kinds of basic errors would not happen.

This may be nitpicky of me, but it's a pet peeve.

(Also, hi, been lurking here for years and never posted before now.)

NYPDMouse

Does anybody know if they actually went to any training and what were the requirements if any to become a panelist. I am not trying to be negative, I think it is a great idea that is actually santioned by Disney. Just wondering how these panelists were prepared and I am assuming they just log on and answer questions at will or are questions assigned to them...Just curious

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Merf - you seriously need to lay off....I'm not sure if you have some kind of "young angst", but you seem to rebelling against....well....everything lately...which is too bad.

This is something that is going to be a good thing for those people with trip planning questions (which, by the way, is what the majority of the questions are). This isn't going to be a site for Disney Geeks like us that already know 99.9% of all the current info out there.

We have to realize we are the exception rather than the rule. Disney is trying to bring in NEW people to the parks each year, and giving people a place to ask questions about what may be the trip of a lifetime for them. This isn't a place to ask imagineers questions, just moms that have a "higher than average" IQ when it comes to Disneyana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom