MNSSHP - Headless Horseman falls

cettafire

first, I truly hope both rider and Khan are ok, that is my baby and if he's hurt I'll be devastated. Second, they've always made a weather call on him since the runs began, so I'm not sure if it was the rain or if it was humidity. It's been so hot lately I swear you feel wet walking around after the rain and that could have been a contributor. As for the horse charging, it is very unlikely. Khan can and has done that run without a rider, just not when the park is open. He's trained to go the route. Don't get me wrong, I know he's an animal and they can freak, but he's also very well trained and very well handled so most likely he would have finished the route and gone to the handler at the end like he always does.
He used to have shoes that sparked specifically for the run and I know that has changed over the last couple of years. I doubt Disney will stop the runs but they may start having someone from the barn check the route immediately before his release, and I doubt if we ever see him get to a good trot or canter again, he'll probably be trained to walk it. I've seen him take it really slow so I know the rider has pulled him up before, hopefully Disney will just require that he take it at a slower pace.
If anyone hears how Khan and rider are doing, please keep us up to date, the cast of the ranch are amazing people and they take such pride in the care they provide to the horses.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The horse was only trotting.. and really the rider is the one who got the worst of that fall. That smooth almost painted surface can be slick. The rider wasn't really going fast at all. @@#$ just happens sometimes when you're riding. Unless they go back and find he wasn't shoed properly, there isn't much Disney can do except make the rider walk.. and that would really take all the thrill out of it. I thought I saw pictures of him cantering before.. maybe he does that on the main st straight?

Tip Top Club

There are lots of weather restrictions, he hasnt been riding a lot this year because the Florida summer rain just has not let up yet. There are people who man and check the route specifically for the sake of the horse and horseman. It should also be noted that this is not Khan, it's a different horse this year.

a2grafix

It is my understanding that there is. Seeing how wet the concrete is in the video I am surprised that those conditions did not meet that criteria. Unless this was just a fluke caused by something other than wet concrete, I think it is safe to assume that those standards will be getting a bit of a tweaking.

I can echo Yoda's remarks as I remember reading rain restrictions for the headless horseman when it rains at the Magic Kingdom.

During my first Halloween party in October 2007, it rained in the afternoon and into the evening. Disney nixed the headless horseman ride. Four years later in 2011 the party I attended was clear of rain and I did see the headless horseman.

Yes, Disney should have opted not to have the horse ride after the rain.

WDW1974

The Headless Horseman is not only a tradition at MK (not that that matters much), but also a big reason why it's worth attending the continually diminishing parties.

Accidents happen. Whether this was preventable, I can't say. Sometimes you can be so concerned about bad things happening that you take all the fun out of something and one would hope this isn't the case here.

Can someone please let us know if he rides at the party tonight. We are going to the party next Tuesday & like so many others the headless horseman is one of my son's favorite parts of the night. I have tried to prepare him for the possibility of no horseman already but I am hoping that is not the case.
My son is 3 and last Sunday he ended up with sutures in his knee. I explained to him that the horse fell & got hurt just like he did. Now he keeps getting his stuffed horse & pretending to be the headless horseman. Then he tells who ever is nearby that he has some bad news...His horse fell & got hurt. Then he goes on to get his doctor bag and "fix" the horse. :)

Rum Pirate

first, I truly hope both rider and Khan are ok, that is my baby and if he's hurt I'll be devastated. Second, they've always made a weather call on him since the runs began, so I'm not sure if it was the rain or if it was humidity. It's been so hot lately I swear you feel wet walking around after the rain and that could have been a contributor. As for the horse charging, it is very unlikely. Khan can and has done that run without a rider, just not when the park is open. He's trained to go the route. Don't get me wrong, I know he's an animal and they can freak, but he's also very well trained and very well handled so most likely he would have finished the route and gone to the handler at the end like he always does.
He used to have shoes that sparked specifically for the run and I know that has changed over the last couple of years. I doubt Disney will stop the runs but they may start having someone from the barn check the route immediately before his release, and I doubt if we ever see him get to a good trot or canter again, he'll probably be trained to walk it. I've seen him take it really slow so I know the rider has pulled him up before, hopefully Disney will just require that he take it at a slower pace.
If anyone hears how Khan and rider are doing, please keep us up to date, the cast of the ranch are amazing people and they take such pride in the care they provide to the horses.

Both are fine

Cosmic Commando

The Headless Horseman is not only a tradition at MK (not that that matters much), but also a big reason why it's worth attending the continually diminishing parties.

Accidents happen. Whether this was preventable, I can't say. Sometimes you can be so concerned about bad things happening that you take all the fun out of something and one would hope this isn't the case here.
Yes. When I go now, it's mostly for the parade. The party-specific decorations have been scaled back, castle fireworks shows generally all blend together for me, I don't care too much about meeting Mickey & Minnie in Halloween clothes, I would get a picture with Snow White and the dwarfs but the line is crazy long, trick or treating is meh... but I love that darn parade. The Horseman is the highlight of the parade and the parade is the highlight of the party.

Wonderful! Thank You BwanaBob. We will be at Tuesday's party & the weather looks great right now. I don't care how fast he goes as long as he is there. It will actually be easier to get a good picture now

luv

I hate to be repetitive but does anyone know if he rode last night?
Yes, he rode. But not fast. And it was extremely poorly timed at the hub. He stopped and stood for a while, then walked through. After he was gone, the announcement that he was coming was made, followed by the Flight of the Valkyries playing.

People kept looking, lol. I feel badly for people who will only see it that one time. It was poorly done.

But he went through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom