MNSSHP - Headless Horseman falls

BwanaBob

Original Poster
Headless Horseman took a nasty fall last night.

First parade, coming around the turn into Liberty Square.
Looks as though horse lost his footing and slipped. Legs went under and horse went down.
Luckily, rider got up mostly unharmed.
Other cast members corralled the horse and the horseman was able to re-mount and finish the ride.
No word on injuries, if any.
He did not ride before the second parade.

Guests were visibly shaken... talked about it the entire night.

Last several MNSSHP's have been wash-outs.
Last night the ground was slick from an earlier rainstorm about 2 hrs before.

MagicMike

Holy Crap! Kudos to the Cast Members who diffused a potentially disastrous situation. Way to not lose your head.

Ha! But seriously, This could have been real bad. The Horseman was always one of my favorite parts of MNSSHP. I hope this is seen as an isolated incident with precautions being taken so it doesn't happen again, and not as something that needs to be removed out of safety concerns.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are there any weather restrictions as to when the horse can ride?
It is my understanding that there is. Seeing how wet the concrete is in the video I am surprised that those conditions did not meet that criteria. Unless this was just a fluke caused by something other than wet concrete, I think it is safe to assume that those standards will be getting a bit of a tweaking.

Flight Safety

Shoes can cause that to happen on slick concrete but they are needed to protect the hooves. I hope the horse did not sustain any injuries that would place it as lame in any manner. Glad the rider is okay.

Yea, I used to own horses and second that. I never shoed my horses, had a farrier that believed in no shoes, but have ridden shoed horses on concrete and it was slippery for the horse.

The Horseman was always one of my favorite parts of MNSSHP. I hope this is seen as an isolated incident with precautions being taken so it doesn't happen again, and not as something that needs to be removed out of safety concerns.

He is by far the coolest aspect of MNSSHP, and my favorite. All too often it seems that TDO has an isolated incident, or other minor issue that causes them to completely remove or change something to the point it's not same. I'm not looking forward to seeing a float with a prop horse and someone sitting on top of it instead.

djkidkaz

Are there any weather restrictions as to when the horse can ride?

Yes, we just went to a Halloween Party a week ago and it had rained earlier but was pretty dried up by the time he was supposed to ride and we were told that he would not be riding due to the wet pavement for safety precautions. Not sure why he was out last night.

PhilharMagician

When he rides by it sounds like the horse has been shoed with steel shoes which can be quite slippery on corners. I have always seen him slow down to a near crawl around that corner since that is one of my favorite viewing locations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom