MLB 2013

Lucky

A's beat the Rangers yesterday to move back into a 1st place tie.

CoCo Crisp was interviewed afterward and said "Yu Darvish had a terrific game. It was tough to see his balls."

Lucky

Os come from behind to beat White Sox in bottom of 10th to keep wild card hopes alive. Davis & Machado have 86 doubles between them already this year.

Lucky

Home field in baseball usually isn't as big an advantage as in basketball and football. But lately when the NL contenders are matched up the home team has been winning nearly every game. Cards, Reds and Pirates all play great at home but not on the road - they've all had great seasons but whoever finishes as the 2nd wild card is probably one and done in the playoffs.

jw24

Losers of the 4 out of the last five. Couldn't have picked a worse time to go in a slump. The Yanks need to blow up the rotation and start over next season regardless. No pitching, no playoffs. Plain and simple.

rsoxguy

Home field in baseball usually isn't as big an advantage as in basketball and football.

I'm afraid that I must disagree for two reasons.

1. The home team knows the nooks and crannies of their stadium and can play a more savvy defensive game. Additionally, hitters become proficient at hitting the ball toward more advantageous spots in the outfield of their home stadium.

2. The groundskeepers always prepare the field according to the home team's strengths and weaknesses (watering the infield, etc.).

Lucky

The data show that for whatever reason home teams win 60% of regular season NBA games, 57% in the NFL and 54% in MLB.

rsoxguy

The data show that for whatever reason home teams win 60% of regular season NBA games, 57% in the NFL and 54% in MLB.
The difference in percentages is not that great, and it must be taken into account that baseball includes 162 games within the season. Plus, the smell from the sausages sold at Fenway Park can cloud the mental focus of players unaccustomed to the stench.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I'm afraid that I must disagree for two reasons.

1. The home team knows the nooks and crannies of their stadium and can play a more savvy defensive game. Additionally, hitters become proficient at hitting the ball toward more advantageous spots in the outfield of their home stadium.

2. The groundskeepers always prepare the field according to the home team's strengths and weaknesses (watering the infield, etc.).
While you have some excellent points, I think that homefield advantage is not always the case with baseball. For one, I'm sure teams that play a lot against one another or in the same division know each other's stadiums very well. Second, stadiums are easily studied as baseball is a statistical game. Third, when the Orioles were losing, they won more on the road than at home. Fourth, with all the trading that goes on in baseball, players get to know more of a variety of stadiums and can share that knowledge with their teammates.

Lucky

Among the NL contenders this year HFA seems to matter more than it usually does. The Braves have a losing record on the road, but they dominate at home. (Are visiting teams really intimidated by that silly, tired tomahawk chop shtick?)

Megalodumb

I'm gonna have to back @rsoxguy in the home-field advantage debate.

The World Series team with home-field advantage has won 22 of the last 27 years. There is no question of it's importance.

Hobnail Boot

Among the NL contenders this year HFA seems to matter more than it usually does. The Braves have a losing record on the road, but they dominate at home. (Are visiting teams really intimidated by that silly, tired tomahawk chop shtick?)
When the whole stadium is rockin' with it, it's awesome. It's probably more distracting for visitors than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom