MLB 2013

rsoxguy

I have been asked about my origins a few times on the forum. I was born in Boston and became a "life long and die hard fan" long before my family moved to Florida. I visit Boston every chance given to me, whether for weekend trips or long vacations. Trips to Fenway are obligatory each time...

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I have been asked about my origins a few times on the forum. I was born in Boston and became a "life long and die hard fan" long before my family moved to Florida. I visit Boston every chance given to me, whether for weekend trips or long vacations. Trips to Fenway are obligatory each time...
My Spanish teacher is like that. She had an odd conversion to being an Orioles fan at the end of last season...

afar28

There's no question there's some talent on this team. McCutchen, Walker, Alvarez, Burnett, Marte, and we also got a hanful of some of the best pitching prospects in the game. Problem is we have the worst ownership team in all of the MLB. Nutting our owner needs to go cry a river and hide in his CA bungalow chamber. Huntington can't evaluate talent for crap and thinks doing intensive Seals training will help improve a players on field awareness. Coonelley ain't bad. Good business mind. Hurdle I like, however you put good players on his team, it makes him look good vice versa with bad players. Same should be said with other managers. And I don't even want to get started with their famous philosophy/mindset when it comes to the trade deadline "will trade our good players away for prospects". Seen that happen for 20 years and where are we now. I've been alive for 19 going on 20 seasons here my friend and every year I've watched/followed them they've had a losing season. That says a lot. Anyhow, I love going to PNC Park which is the best stadium in all of baseball, no one can argue that. Also is great value and is nice to go to a game on a great sunny night. Offers a great skyline view of the city of Pittsburgh. I'd recommend coming here the next time the Yankees play here and show us what real baseball is. Luckily, there's enough good history in this franchise (4-5 world series) that can hopefully prove me wrong.
Every year it seems like there is a big trade involving the Pirates...and the Pirate always trade away their stars.
But worst owners in the MLB? Mets come to mind as well :p
And I would love to come to PNC one day, looks like a great stadium and Pittsburgh isn't far away from NYC, so id love to go their one day, hopefully

GeoDonJac34

Twins fan here. I am not expecting much this season. probably another last place finish. Too much money wrapped up in the Mauer contract. One player getting around 1/4 of your payroll leads to doom.

rsoxguy

My Spanish teacher is like that. She had an odd conversion to being an Orioles fan at the end of last season...

To say that I am a fan is to understate my mindset. I'm one of the only guys I know who understands and enjoys baseball more than football. I love it as a game of constant strategy and honored traditions. Regarding the Sox, they are the only baseball team that I could really care about. I wear formal clothes when working, but a great percentage of my casual clothes are Red Sox related. It's a sickness, really.

Edit: I have Red Sox dress watches and Red Sox cuff links. Sad.

PUSH

That's interesting. It doesn't drag on for me at all. Football, on the other hand, gets boring. I enjoy coming home, plopping myself on the couch with my laptop and a nice Orioles game to watch while doing homework. If it's not on one night because they have a break or they played middle of the day, I miss it. I also probably went to about 20 games last season. :rolleyes: Helps when your father is a Sunday season ticket holder AND his law firm has tickets that are up for grabs on any given day. I only went to one Ravens game last season. Football is on a couple of times a week, only once a week is it my team for a few hours, and then you wait and debate about the next game. Baseball always has a way of changing constantly and staying interesting.

For now, I wear my Superbowl Champions gear with Orioles earrings.:D

While I respect the game, I think there are too many games. You can't tell me that every single game in the MLB season matters. You can afford to lose several games (not saying you want to). Whereas in the NFL every game matters (with exceptions as always). I'm going through NFL withdrawal right now so that may have an effect. I'll just sit quietly at home as I normally have. I mean, the Brewers never do that much anyway. Although it's not as bad as Wisconsin's NBA team. Gosh the Bucks are awful.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
To say that I am a fan is to understate my mindset. I'm one of the only guys I know who understands and enjoys baseball more than football. I love it as a game of constant strategy and honored traditions. Regarding the Sox, they are the only baseball team that I could really care about. I wear formal clothes when working, but a great percentage of my casual clothes are Red Sox related. It's a sickness, really.
Haha, understandable, most of my casual clothing is Disney-related...I enjoy baseball more than football too, something most of my friends want to shoot me for. I grew up going to games on Sundays, and even though they usually didn't win, it was still fun. Like my heritage with Disney, my baseball love was passed down through my father who loves his Orioles, and who can tell you details of games from the 70's but cannot tell you what color my mother's eyes are. He's got season tickets, and his firm gets them and they're up for grabs, so sometimes he'll call home and say, "Hey, wanna go to an Orioles game?" The answer being, "Heck yeah." It's on our TV even when we're not watching it just so we always know what's going on. There's a spot in my room on top of my chest of drawers devoted to Orioles stuff, as well as a baseball I caught last season (well, not caught, it rolled passed several big college guys and landed at my feet). My dad has two shelved on a bookcase of just Orioles stuff. And he's got programs and scorecards and tickets and all kinds of stuff from years ago. It's a passion in my family. Our big thing besides Disney. I find baseball more mathematical than football, and for some reason, looking at baseball stats makes more sense to me than football stats.

rsoxguy

^
I have an enormous amount of baseball memorabilia, with much of it relating to the Red Sox. Also, I have the whole Baseball Card Collecting disease. To me, there's nothing quite as thrilling as a game at Fenway Park.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
While I respect the game, I think there are too many games. You can't tell me that every single game in the MLB season matters. You can afford to lose several games (not saying you want to). Whereas in the NFL every game matters (with exceptions as always). I'm going through NFL withdrawal right now so that may have an effect. I'll just sit quietly at home as I normally have. I mean, the Brewers never do that much anyway. Although it's not as bad as Wisconsin's NBA team. Gosh the Bucks are awful.
I don't know a darn thing about Basketball...we have no team in Baltimore, so since I've got my Orioles and Ravens, I've never bothered to follow.
Baseball is different than football in that you can't determine the better team based on one game, which is why I think the sudden wildcard death game is now unfair. It's a less physically-demanding game, and therefore they can play more. But also individual players have a more direct impact on the game, so there has to be an adjustment period. And every game is important, win or lose. It does help when you have a team that's coming out from an awesome season that you'd like to see go all the way this year. I know all about withdrawal. I think I watched my favorite baseball movie, "A League of Their Own" five times over the winter to get over the symptoms. It's funny, but because the Orioles were so good, I really didn't get that excited about the NFL until later in the season. Hmm. Learned my lesson.

I really wanna hear Camden Yards get loud and proud on opening day.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
^
I have an enormous amount of baseball memorabilia, with much of it relating to the Red Sox. Also, I have the whole Baseball Card Collecting disease. To me, there's nothing quite as thrilling as a game at Fenway Park.
Camden Yards. The best. A lot of Sox fans like coming to Camden Yards. They're okay to have around. Yankees fans are just annoying. Camden Yards gets a lot of money pumped into it every year. I must say that Camden Yards, fan experience wise, is much better than M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens home), even though we had a losing team for so many years.

I remember Camden Yards getting rather exciting during a certain game at the end of the 2011 season against a certain team with playoff hopes that were dashed in the ninth inning...

PUSH

I don't know a darn thing about Basketball...we have no team in Baltimore, so since I've got my Orioles and Ravens, I've never bothered to follow.
Baseball is different than football in that you can't determine the better team based on one game, which is why I think the sudden wildcard death game is now unfair. It's a less physically-demanding game, and therefore they can play more. But also individual players have a more direct impact on the game, so there has to be an adjustment period. And every game is important, win or lose. It does help when you have a team that's coming out from an awesome season that you'd like to see go all the way this year. I know all about withdrawal. I think I watched my favorite baseball movie, "A League of Their Own" five times over the winter to get over the symptoms. It's funny, but because the Orioles were so good, I really didn't get that excited about the NFL until later in the season. Hmm. Learned my lesson.

I really wanna hear Camden Yards get loud and proud on opening day.

I don't think you can really determine the best team from one game in the NFL either. Heck, the Ravens were probably considered the worst team heading in the playoffs last year. And the Giants the previous year. Both of whom won the Super Bowl.

That's why sports are so great, though. There are so many to choose from and everyone has their own preference. It'd be a very boring world if everyone liked the same thing.

rsoxguy

Camden Yards. The best. A lot of Sox fans like coming to Camden Yards. They're okay to have around. Yankees fans are just annoying

Each park possesses its own charm, and being a fan of the home team always seals the deal.
Yankees fans? They can be annoying in the parks, at the grocery store, in my house... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom