MK Testing New Entry Scans

Timmay

wannab@dis said:
READ THE THREAD! It's NOT your fingerprints.

No, of course not, but let's say it was...

Somone is still going to have to explain how their "civil rights" are being violated by a private company wishing to verify the rightful person is gaining access to their facility.

Any one at all...:lookaroun

Captain Chaos

amejr999 said:
You are contradicting yourself. First you're saying that taking fingerprints is a security measure to prevent terrorism. Then you're saying that Disney isn't taking fingerprints and that the values taken can't be directly traced to a person. Which is it?

And I don't like being insulted. I know perfectly well what is going on here.

Where do I contradict myself??? You all are screaming you don't want your finger prints taken.. We have clearly established disney is NOT TAKING FINGERPRINTS!!!! Read all the posts that clearly state this...

if you really think Disney is taking your fingerprints, then don't go to Disney anymore... Wannabe described it perfectly in the above post.. No need to beat a dead horse...

Do you go to sporting events?? If so, did you know majority, if not all the arenas and stadiums are now outfitted with cameras that scan everyone's face?? Are you going to complain about that now too??

You are all worried about Disney taking your fingerprints for personal info.. DOn't you realize that Disney already has your info??? Ever call them for reservations?? How do they ensure it is you?? They ask for your name, address, they verify the email they have on file.. They even have your phone number... Short of your SSN, they have your info already.... And they may even have your SSN... Not sure...

Captain Chaos

wannab@dis said:
Let's try this again...

When you touch a glass or a doorknob or whatever, you leave behind an IMAGE of your fingerprint. That image can then be compared to other IMAGES to see if they match.

Biometric finger scanning technology DOES NOT incorporate images as part of the scanning process. When you touch the sensor, it looks at the ridges, curvature, etc on your finger, utilizes a mathmatical algorythm and produces a number for your finger. Next time you enter, it looks at your finger, does the calculation and then goes out to the database to compare that number to the original.

Now... if somebody stole something in the park and left a fingerprint on the door going out of the store, they CAN NOT compare that fingerprint image to the scans taken at entry to identify the thief. The number generated by the scan has zero backwards ability to create a fingerprint image.

Hopefully, that makes it a little clearer for everyone. :wave:

Wannabe, you can describe this until blue in the face.. people just won't understand... or they have Oliver Stone Syndrome (everything is a conspiracy).

spoodles

dxer07002 said:
Wannabe, you can describe this until blue in the face.. people just won't understand... or they have Oliver Stone Syndrome (everything is a conspiracy).
LOL - Reminds me of after the OJ acquittal when 1 of the jurors was asked how they were able to dismiss the DNA evidence, after weeks of explanations as to what DNA evidence was, the juror replied "but lots of people have the same blood type."

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
amejr999 said:
And I don't like being insulted. I know perfectly well what is going on here.

You do not know what's going on here. Biometric scans of fingers are quite common in healthcare and other places where password security is a concern. Though I'm not positive...and neither are you....I'm fairly confident that they are using technology similar to what is used by companies like Pyxis are using today. They are not taking fingerprints, nor can the data that they save be used to backgenerate fingerprints.

Paranoia is a dangerous thing...there is not a boogie man around every corner.

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
HauntedPirate said:
Not to take away from an interesting discussion, but people have a hard enough time doing the existing two fingers-in-the-scanner. I have a hard time believing that they'll be able to handle one finger, either.

Not true...it will actually be easier. You just place the finger that was originally scanned on the reader and you're done. No cooridnation is needed.

Captain Chaos

bgraham34 said:
wannab@dis said:
READ THE THREAD! It's NOT your fingerprints.

QUOTE]

All i am saying if Disney ever chooses to actually take your fingerprint I am no going to be for it.

Well, since they are not taking your fingerprints, then you have nothing to complain and worry about... And if they ever do take fingerprints, then wear gloves for the rest of your life because your fingerprints are everywhere...

Disneyland1970

From what I understand DL does not do any type of finger scan. Does anyone know why??? I know there is less park hopping goin on, but with the population around that park, it is sure to be a security risk.

You know the old paper " A thru E "tickets had no info what so ever, could not be used more than once, did not hold up park entrance, were recyclable and allowed for a cheaper entrance price to the MK. Plus with the black light re entry it was fun to try and guess what was todays character on the stamp!

bucklmd

This thread has got me thinking that there just has to be a better way all-together to get in the park rather than the ticket. I mean, if all this is being done to match up with a ticket, then they need to switch to a ticket-less entry system. It's kind of old-fashioned anyway.

If airlines do it, a la e-ticket, then why would that be so hard? So it requires a little advance planning by the consumer? You have to make a reservation to go into the parks, show up and provide your ID. If you want to park-hop, get your hand stamped like they do now.

Sure there are a whole lot of other "what if" factors, but I'm sure that could be figured out. In fact, Disney execs are probably sitting around talking about this now.

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
I know... I don't want to beat the proverbial dead horse, but I do want people to understand and not be so uptight about this POSSIBLE change. You are correct though, a lot of people do seem to like looking for conspiracies where there isn't one.

This thread has been informative from an application development view... I can see that we're going to have to develop some type of extremely basic and throughly simple explanation of biometric technology. Our clients will not want to deal with hysterical employees when they are handed a finger scanner. :lol:

lewisc

The biometric scanning has replaced stamping hands. Airline and TSA employees actually look at our photo id and match the name on the ID with the name on the reservation. Disney stopped using pictures on AP, in part, because CM really didn't take the time to look very closely.

Biometric scanning doesn't have to be very accurate, just enough to keep people honest. If the fingerprint scan was 100% accurate, actually created a unique measurement, Disney could scan your ticket once and then let you scan you finger and skip your ticket for subsequent visits.

bucklmd said:
This thread has got me thinking that there just has to be a better way all-together to get in the park rather than the ticket. I mean, if all this is being done to match up with a ticket, then they need to switch to a ticket-less entry system. It's kind of old-fashioned anyway.

If airlines do it, a la e-ticket, then why would that be so hard? So it requires a little advance planning by the consumer? You have to make a reservation to go into the parks, show up and provide your ID. If you want to park-hop, get your hand stamped like they do now.

Sure there are a whole lot of other "what if" factors, but I'm sure that could be figured out. In fact, Disney execs are probably sitting around talking about this now.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ArielBelle said:
HAA..i love jack! (and your reference to him..) i can't believe I have to be without him until January again! How cool would a season at WDW be? :drevil:
Hey dont count it out. They could film next season in the China pavillion at EPCOT.

Burgstressera

I just want to say to those of you referring to the people that have issues with the current system as idiots that I'm personally offended...

I am not an idiot, nor do I have a difficult time understanding/speaking English, but yet nearly every time I tried to enter any of the parks I had an issue with the system.

I wasn't the only literate, English speaking person there that had a problem either.

I can also say with certainty that there are other people on this site that have experience difficulties with the system too, so I guess that makes us all idiots.

Captain Chaos

Burgstressera said:
I just want to say to those of you referring to the people that have issues with the current system as idiots that I'm personally offended...

I am not an idiot, nor do I have a difficult time understanding/speaking English, but yet nearly every time I tried to enter any of the parks I had an issue with the system.

I wasn't the only literate, English speaking person there that had a problem either.

I can also say with certainty that there are other people on this site that have experience difficulties with the system too, so I guess that makes us all idiots.

I never referred to anyone as an idiot... But the system is very easy to use.. Put your ticket through the slot, and stick your 2nd and 3rd finger into the scanner... Not calling anyone an idiot, but, people should be able to understand that you place your pointer and middle fingers in the scanner area where the finger outline is drawn... The scanner does not always work 100 percent of the time.. yes, sometimes you do it correctly and the scan doesn't take and you need to do it again.. Happened to me.. Also keeping your fingers too far apart also would cause it not to work right.. These people are not the idiots that are being referred to in this thread... The idiots are the ones who look at the CM like the CM has 2 heads when the CM tells them how to use the scanner... And theyare the English speaking people.. Funny thing.. When I went in October last year, it were the Americans who couldn't understand what finger was the pointer and what finger was the middle.. And the foreign speaking guests understood just what to do..

Really, the concept isn't hard to figure out...

maelstrom

What I'm having a problem with is those of you who are getting so very uppity about those of us who think that the whole finger scanning thing is garbage. Aren't I entitled to that opinion? You don't agree with what I have to say, fine. But I'm still entitled to my opinion. I know what biometrics is, and I know why Disney has it in place. And in my opinion, it's still a waste of time.

And this is a message board. It's for discussion; talking about new ideas, giving suggestions, sharing opinions & thoughts, etc. It'd be pretty boring if everyone felt the same way about everything. And starting a thread about park entrance scans, fingerprinting is bound to come up, not only because a lot of people think biometrics is taking fingerprints, but also because a lot of people believe that fingerprinting may be used in the future. Again, it's a message board.

I was in the World just this past Christmas. Several days during my trip I found that the biometrics was just turned off. Too many people to worry about futzing with finger scans.

freediverdude

Well, my 2 cents, I think the one finger scan will be ok, as long as it's biometrics and not a fingerprint. With a true fingerprint, it's too easy to start going down that Big Brother slippery slope (not the tv series, but the George Orwell book entitled "1984"), where all info is shared with all systems, and someone out there knows where you are every second and everything you've ever done. I also don't like the idea of the sports arenas taking a picture of my face and trying to compare it with every known criminals' faces, just because I'm attending a sports game. I don't mind them making sure I'm not carrying a weapon in with me, but I don't remember agreeing to a search to see if my face might be a close match to some criminal's face. Good grief, if they're gonna do that, they might as well just have everybody stick their photo IDs in a machine to check. A Disney ticket is something nobody would be ashamed of having their fingerprint tied to, but what if fingerprints were required in ALL businesses, and the government mandated that all these systems be tied together to keep track of people and transactions, for "homeland security"? Would you want your fingerprint tied to a transaction in an adult bookstore? A condom purchase? A liquor purchase? A cigarette purchase, which could then be accessed by the healthcare companies? This information would then be available to pretty much everyone. Yes, we're a long ways from that, but it's a very slippery slope here. Yes, it would make it much harder for terrorists, but it would come at a very high cost.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
freediverdude said:
I don't mind them making sure I'm not carrying a weapon in with me, but I don't remember agreeing to a search to see if my face might be a close match to some criminal's face.
Check the back of the ticket. There is probably verbeage on the ticket that states if you wish to enter the stadium, you have to submit to it.....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
TiggerRPh said:
Not true...it will actually be easier. You just place the finger that was originally scanned on the reader and you're done. No cooridnation is needed.

You underestimate the power of people to screw it up. :hammer: Seriously, I've seen people put every physically possible combination of fingers into the biometric reader, except for the one plainly pictured on the machine. Right hand, left hand, wrong fingers.... My opinion is, even using just one finger will not alleviate any confusion at the turnstyles.

All the biometric readers are there to do is to reduce/eliminate the after-market selling of unused (or allegedly unused) theme park tickets. No heinous plot, no data gathering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom