MK Testing New Entry Scans

Captain Chaos

freediverdude said:
Well, my 2 cents, I think the one finger scan will be ok, as long as it's biometrics and not a fingerprint. With a true fingerprint, it's too easy to start going down that Big Brother slippery slope (not the tv series, but the George Orwell book entitled "1984"), where all info is shared with all systems, and someone out there knows where you are every second and everything you've ever done. I also don't like the idea of the sports arenas taking a picture of my face and trying to compare it with every known criminals' faces, just because I'm attending a sports game. I don't mind them making sure I'm not carrying a weapon in with me, but I don't remember agreeing to a search to see if my face might be a close match to some criminal's face. Good grief, if they're gonna do that, they might as well just have everybody stick their photo IDs in a machine to check. A Disney ticket is something nobody would be ashamed of having their fingerprint tied to, but what if fingerprints were required in ALL businesses, and the government mandated that all these systems be tied together to keep track of people and transactions, for "homeland security"? Would you want your fingerprint tied to a transaction in an adult bookstore? A condom purchase? A liquor purchase? A cigarette purchase, which could then be accessed by the healthcare companies? This information would then be available to pretty much everyone. Yes, we're a long ways from that, but it's a very slippery slope here. Yes, it would make it much harder for terrorists, but it would come at a very high cost.

Fingerprints are required in a lot of businesses and workplaces... You ever get fingerprinted for your job??? We get fingerprinted every year, and a copy gets filed with the FBI... Do you use a credit card in an adult bookstore?? Then you are tracked... Do you go into an adult bookstore and skim through a magazine? Maybe pick up a video tape/DVD?? Guess what... You left your fingerprint...

And we aren't far away from Big Brother as you think.. We are there already... Reading the news lately??? Not to make this a political thread, but, did you know your phones have been tapped in the name of national security?? By logic used by people here.. You won't be using your phones anymore... Just like they won't go to Disney anymore if they start taking fingerprints.. WHICH THEY ARE NOT.

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
Are you so sure about that?? Been in the news a lot lately....
You're mistaken. It's not "tapping" as in recording voices... it's statistical aggregation only of what number calls what number. The data can be used to view trends when you take a single suspect number and then view the connected numbers.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
Lets see, for every two people talking, you would need either a computer program utilizing highly advanced software, or another person listening in. Since it would be utterly impossible for a computer system, no matter how advanced, to complete a real time review of the billions of phone calls that go on daily in the US, not to mention the trillions around the world, you would have to have a database capable of storing huge amounts of information. You would also need a huge number of people doing nothing but reviewing this information.

Yes I am sure, no one has been listening in on my conversations....

Captain Chaos

wannab@dis said:
You're mistaken. It's not "tapping" as in recording voices... it's statistical aggregation only of what number calls what number. The data can be used to view trends when you take a single suspect number and then view the connected numbers.

Thanks Wannabe... Guess when I read different articles, I was confused as to what they were saying.. I was wrong...
Either way... Big Brother is more prevalent that one thinks. v

ToTBellHop

They can, however, read your emails...just like employers with any email system you use at work. That's not to say someone is reading every email you write--I think they more search for suspicious words/phrases appearing in an email account a lot, and then they can access what you have written. I'm sure the government has every right to listen in on your phone calls if they have a reason to, as well--but since most of us don't participate in any suspicious behaviors, there is no reason to do so. There simply aren't enough people to listen to every phone call, and it would just be silly.

Ivan72

dxer07002 said:
Thanks Wannabe... Guess when I read different articles, I was confused as to what they were saying.. I was wrong...
Either way... Big Brother is more prevalent that one thinks. v

You may have been confused by design. Sadly, it appears to me that many issues are misrepresented by the media in order to sway public opinion. Or at a minimum personal beliefs surface through their "objective" reporting. That's why we always have a responsibility to educate ourselves on issues and double check facts.

Using credit cards, debit cards and smart cards can enable people to compile lots of info about us and our lifestyle. Much more of a potential problem than a biometric scan and yet it's becoming harder to function without them.

Tom

Beta Return
Ugh, this thread is making me sicker by the post.

I'm not sure where anyone can honestly think that proving your identity can possibly be a violation of civil liberties. We're "free" in this country because we have laws and guidelines set up to attempt to keep everyone in line, thus allowing us more freedoms outside of those laws and guidelines. How in God's name can you think that your civil liberties are being violated because a theme park wants to prove that YOU are YOU? Seriously!? They're not scanning your fingerprint and saving it as an image (heck, they take all 10 fingers when you get a gun permit or get arrested, one finger isn't going to help anyone solve anything!). And we've exhausted the fact that they're simply developing a mathmatical description of your fingerprint, and not a snapshot of it - no violation of personal identity AT ALL.

When you go to the bank to withdraw cash from your checking account, you HAVE to prove to the bank that you really are you. In fact, last year, Bank One set out a little ink pad for non-Bank One customers who wanted to cash a check..and guess what they did....they took ACTUAL fingerprints of those people and put them in the file! That's right folks, our banks are fingerprinting us to ensure identity! *GASP*

Let's see.....I got a handgun permit and the sheriff's office took my fingerprints and filed them with local jurisdictions and the FBI. This practice has helped to solve MANY crimes, since the inception of fingerprinting. My fingerprints, however, are NOT tied to my bank account or cell phone bill or credit cards - period. Don't give me that Big Brother crap...sure, they know stuff about us, but not like CSI and all those BS shows like us to think. (and NO, they're NOT tapping our phones - they're tracking TRENDS of phone numbers dialed - period).

I was at The Shane Company tonight (jewelry store) and they use fingerprint ID verification for each employee to get into the back room. Our rep had to go back there about 6 times for us - and his interaction with the fingerprint scanner eye took less than a second every time. He put his thumb against the box on the wall and the sound of the door unlocking was almost instant. It's a lot easier to screw up the process of putting two fingers into a slot and squeezing some pegs than it is to put your finger over a hole. This, if it is true, will significantly speed things up.

Regarding face recognition - um, I'm pretty sure it's legal to take pictures and compare them to faces in a database. If I took a picture in a mall of a crowd of people, then took that picture down to the post office and compared the people in that picture to the WANTED posters on the wall, and found a match, and then told the cops.....I think I'd be commended for my actions, and be well within the law. If a sports arena wants to take pictures of people on THEIR property, and make sure that none of them look like known terrorists, I encourage them. I don't want to be blown up while watching a football game.

Sorry for the long rant - but this topic is irking me. If WDW wants to keep costs down by ensuring that YOU are YOU and that you're not sharing your tickets with anyone else, then I emplore them to use whatever means, within the law, that they can think of. If, at the same time, they prevent some bad people from entering the park and/or speeding up the lines - even better!

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
lewisc said:
The biometric scanning has replaced stamping hands. Airline and TSA employees actually look at our photo id and match the name on the ID with the name on the reservation. Disney stopped using pictures on AP, in part, because CM really didn't take the time to look very closely.

Interesting that Disneyland still has photos on their AP's.

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
dxer07002 said:

Not to get too far off topic...but phone records have been looked at not tapping of phone calls. And even this isn't anything new. Any DA can and often does the same thing.

You really need to get your news from other than the slanted MSM.

freediverdude

Edwardtc- I hope that when we finally get to the point when your every single move is tracked and available for public scrutiny, that you remember what you just said. Because it's people like you who are slowly allowing us to get to that point in the name of "homeland security". You can never ever make someplace 100% terrorist-proof, I'm sorry. But you can safeguard people's sense of individual liberties, something this country was founded on. If it really does read on the back of sports tickets that my face is going to be constantly scanned against a database of criminals, then i won't be attending any more sporting events. Period. And no, I don't have my fingerprints taken at work. Never have. Credit card receipts in an adult bookstore are only seen by you and the credit company- we're talking about public view practically of this information. Having your fingerprint taken everywhere and put into some public database where most people can see everything you've done.....can you imagine someone pulling up your name and seeing that you bought some whiskey last week and telling your employer, etc etc? Or quietly telling your priest that you made a condom purchase? I don't think you guys realize the implications that this could have if fully implemented. Please go read the book 1984. It will scare the pants off of you, and it should. A good film in this genre is THX 1138, George Lucas' first film.
I'm not against Disney implementing the biometrics, that's not what I'm talking about, and I think the biometrics are safe enough because they don't completely identify you. But I am against technologies like fingerprinting and face recognition everywhere you go, because that's not a good road to go down.

browniebee

freediverdude said:
Edwardtc- I hope that when we finally get to the point when your every single move is tracked and available for public scrutiny, that you remember what you just said. Because it's people like you who are slowly allowing us to get to that point in the name of "homeland security". You can never ever make someplace 100% terrorist-proof, I'm sorry.

Yeah, but you can make it a lot more diffilcut for terrorists to strike. "Every single move is tracked"? Don't you think that's extreme?

freediverdude said:
But you can safeguard people's sense of individual liberties, something this country was founded on.

If you are killed by terrorists, how would you enjoy your civil liberties? If there's another major terrorist incident, the same civil liberties activists will be yelling for more safeguards against terrorism.

freediverdude said:
If it really does read on the back of sports tickets that my face is going to be constantly scanned against a database of criminals, then i won't be attending any more sporting events. Period.

Then there's better seat availability for those who don't mind minor inconveniences.

freediverdude said:
And no, I don't have my fingerprints taken at work. Never have. Credit card receipts in an adult bookstore are only seen by you and the credit company- we're talking about public view practically of this information. Having your fingerprint taken everywhere and put into some public database where most people can see everything you've done.....can you imagine someone pulling up your name and seeing that you bought some whiskey last week and telling your employer, etc etc? Or quietly telling your priest that you made a condom purchase? I don't think you guys realize the implications that this could have if fully implemented. Please go read the book 1984. It will scare the pants off of you, and it should. A good film in this genre is THX 1138, George Lucas' first film.

Again, I think that's rather extreme. The US Congress wouldn't allow it because many Congresspeople are more levelheaded. I honestly don't think a 1984-style situation will become a reality for the US, so I think you can calm down.

freediverdude said:
I'm not against Disney implementing the biometrics, that's not what I'm talking about, and I think the biometrics are safe enough because they don't completely identify you. But I am against technologies like fingerprinting and face recognition everywhere you go, because that's not a good road to go down.

No, it's not a good road to go down, but is it a reality? Will it be a reality in the near future? I don't think so. The current face recognition systems edwardtc is talking doesn't exist everywhere and only at high-target places, like sporting arenas.

Ivan72

freediverdude said:
Edwardtc- I hope that when we finally get to the point when your every single move is tracked and available for public scrutiny, that you remember what you just said. Because it's people like you who are slowly allowing us to get to that point in the name of "homeland security". You can never ever make someplace 100% terrorist-proof, I'm sorry. But you can safeguard people's sense of individual liberties, something this country was founded on.

Just don't be suprised if you stick your head out of your door one day and find that your country is gone. Civil liberties mean nothing if the guardian and provider of those liberties ceases to exist.

While you are right that 100% safety is impossible, we can make significant strides to increase our protection while preserving the freedoms that make our great nation unique.

freediverdude said:
Credit card receipts in an adult bookstore are only seen by you and the credit company- we're talking about public view practically of this information. Having your fingerprint taken everywhere and put into some public database where most people can see everything you've done.....can you imagine someone pulling up your name and seeing that you bought some whiskey last week and telling your employer, etc etc?

I think you may have a false sense of security when it comes to credit card purchases. We are already at a place where your purchasing trends can be tracked and devious minds can make life miserable for innocent people.

The bottom line is that there are sensitve situations where positively identifying someone is necessary. Not at all times, in all situations, or in all venues.

As for a sports stadium and face scans, my understanding was that the criminal faces are in the database. All other face scans are compared to them. Only a postive hit would bring a response.

But back to the Biometric Scans. I think they are innocent enough and help avoid misuse of ticket media.

mmartelli

If Disney ever gave any information about our fingerprints or biometrics to the governement then there would be a problem...But now someone go over the need for this again? Those scanners are quite anoying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom