News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

dothebrdwalk

They have recently put some money and space into renovations so that is a plus. Will be staying there this winter so looking forward to trying the new Scat Cat's Club. https://www.portorleans.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3407#p9045

But I agree with you that if they wanted to go IP Tiana's Place would be a great fit.
Agreed they put some money in, but it's obviously not the same as what was just done with Enchanted Rose. Not saying it's happening tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised within next few years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh yeah, this goes really, really well with the rest of the resort.

Enchanted-Rose_Full_36341.jpg

Enchanted-Rose_Full_36345.jpg
:hungover:
It looks great...as long as it’s in yacht or beach club

Epcot82Guy

Interesting... As I recall the same sort of criticisms here when Ale & Compass was renovated.

There was. I recall there being criticism, though I think it was more how stark and modern it is. So, it seemed generic. It wasn't ugly per se. Just somewhat boring. (Which I like it - but do understand and agree with the criticism.)

This seems another step in the wrong direction, at least to me personally.

If they needed to do this, I wish they would have just called it "Rose's Lounge" and made it a classy lounge themed to roses/the garden, and then inserted little touches of various rose themed DIsney pieces (BatB, Queen of Hearts, Briar Rose, etc.). When they do subtle inspiration vs. more blatant, it tends to be really good. Thinking Dahlia Lounge, Fantasia Lounge at DLP, etc. And, Ale and Compass would be the same if it had something like little touches from Captain Mickey or the like. In short, if you walked it, it seems to be a normal lounge and then the details are all inspired by Disney. Something like that could be a home run.

nickys

Premium Member
Grand Floridian and Disney IP:
I can't think of a Disney IP that lends itself naturally to American Seaside Resorts Circa 1900.
I think the only IP set in the era at all is Lady and the Tramp.
Mary Poppins has had tea service there, yet she is Edwardian England.
Alice has been there for parties, but she also is Edwardian England.

Ummm, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was written in 1865. Firmly in the reign of Queen Victoria. The Edwardian era began in 1901.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ummm, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was written in 1865. Firmly in the reign of Queen Victoria. The Edwardian era began in 1901.
Umm...that ignores basically 31 years of history of the place...
But I get it: “the place where I take my vacations can do no wrong”

A character breakfast - though tacky - didn’t have do be built with that theme...kids parties in the tea room didn’t have to take it over.

Here they go completely upside down and kid theme a place for adults to drink and act badly. It’s really just the Trader sams concept...just not a good version of it.

Epcot82Guy

I agree. If we needed a themed lounge, ones I think would have felt more natural:
-Wonderland Lounge. Think bottled Drink Me cocktails and other concoctions.
-Fantasia Lounge. An updated version of the one at DLP's Disneyland Hotel,
-Carousel Lounge. Themed to the MP's carousel.
-Rose's Lounge. (See my post above.)

nickys

Premium Member
Umm...that ignores basically 31 years of history of the place...
But I get it: “the place where I take my vacations can do no wrong”

A character breakfast - though tacky - didn’t have do be built with that theme...kids parties in the tea room didn’t have to take it over.

Here they go completely upside down and kid theme a place for adults to drink and act badly. It’s really just the Trader sams concept...just not a good version of it.

I wasn’t commenting on the lounge or it’s fit to GF.

I was merely correcting the notion that Alice takes place in Edwardian times.

nickys

Premium Member
Ok...my bad then.

So since I kicked the door open: what do you think??

I don’t like IPs being shoe-horned in to parks or resorts, and I saw little reason to transform it in the first place. And I’m not happy at the implications for the band either.

That said, I don’t hate this, and it really doesn’t scream any IP to me. The colour scheme is totally wrong for GF, but I would still go there for a drink.

Beacon Joe

Just watched some videos. While I still can't find one that includes footage of this abomination as guests approach it, a couple did include some footage that showed the lobby area and this Hilton Garden Inn breakfast lounge in the same frame. Talk about a jarring mess.

We really lost Commander Porter's and Mizner's for this?

lazyboy97o

I agree. If we needed a themed lounge, ones I think would have felt more natural:
-Wonderland Lounge. Think bottled Drink Me cocktails and other concoctions.
-Fantasia Lounge. An updated version of the one at DLP's Disneyland Hotel,
-Carousel Lounge. Themed to the MP's carousel.
-Rose's Lounge. (See my post above.)
You’re falling into a sort of linguistic trap that reinforces the franchise mandate. A themed lounge is exactly what should be in a themed hotel, but what you lost, along with Enchanted Rose, would not be themed lounges. Themed experiences in a themed context should be related to each other and these don’t actually relate to the Grand Floridian.

Epcot82Guy

You’re falling into a sort of linguistic trap that reinforces the franchise mandate. A themed lounge is exactly what should be in a themed hotel, but what you lost, along with Enchanted Rose, would not be themed lounges. Themed experiences in a themed context should be related to each other and these don’t actually relate to the Grand Floridian.

Oh. Please don't get me wrong! I think the forced IP mandate is silly, especially when applied to bars! My preference would have been an updated Mizner's.

My point was more of we HAVE to follow this mandate there were better options. And fitting the theme should return to a key focus!

Sped2424

This is far from good. This in no way (except for the sign) fits in the GF. The forest room looks like the Art of Animation food court, and the Library feels weirdly generic. Plus, who picked out that furniture? Some that watches two hours of HGTV could do better. Shame we had to lose the GF Orchestra Perch for this.
Something makes me wonder if the budget was pulled last minute? Bc what was discussed when they revealed the change seemed a lot more elaborate than some of the rooms, especially the outside area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom