News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

MotherOfBirds

It's not hideous, I suppose. My biggest question here is, what was the point? It's not a theme as much as it is a color palette with a smattering of rose imagery, neither of which fits the hotel. Something closer to the actual period aesthetic of the film would have fit better than what they came up with.

It just feels like a mostly lateral move.

fngoofy

Grand Floridian and Disney IP:
I can't think of a Disney IP that lends itself naturally to American Seaside Resorts Circa 1900.
I think the only IP set in the era at all is Lady and the Tramp.
Mary Poppins has had tea service there, yet she is Edwardian England.
Alice has been there for parties, but she also is Edwardian England.

So what Grand Flo boils down to is "If it's Fancy it Fits."

Mary Poppins, Alice, Belle = Fancy
So they fit.

You've got to admit that if it was only the Dapper Dans walking around (while fun) it would get old.

Animaniac93-98

Grand Floridian and Disney IP:
I can't think of a Disney IP that lends itself naturally to American Seaside Resorts Circa 1900.

So how about we don't shoehorn IP into the hotel, then?

So what Grand Flo boils down to is "If it's Fancy it Fits."

Mary Poppins, Alice, Belle = Fancy
So they fit.

This might win the award for dumbest justification of this bar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not hideous, I suppose. My biggest question here is, what was the point? It's not a theme as much as it is a color palette with a smattering of rose imagery, neither of which fits the hotel. Something closer to the actual period aesthetic of the film would have fit better than what they came up with.

It just feels like a mostly lateral move.
The point is to pummel you with high cost food and bev bills AND have Princess upsell space.

In other news: water is wet

JohnD

So how about we don't shoehorn IP into the hotel, then?

This might win the award for dumbest justification of this bar.

Snow White character dinner in WL’s Artist Point. BATB bar in GF. What’s next? Monsters, Inc in Contemporary? Or Mary Poppins in Poly?

Animaniac93-98

The justifications for upsells are taking on weird dimensions...new records are broken every day

It's not even about upsells, what he said showed a total lack of understanding of not only the intent of the Grand Floridian's overall design, but what the IPs referenced in the post represent (the surrealist visuals and Victorian commentary of Alice in Wonderland are "fancy" now?) along with a strange and vague reasoning of what "fancy" is. I don't even know where to start.

Animaniac93-98

Snow White character dinner in WL’s Artist Point. BATB bar in GF. What’s next? Monsters, Inc in Contemporary? Or Mary Poppins in Poly?

They're building a Tiana inspired restaurant at Fort Wilderness instead of the actual New Orleans hotel.

They're not even trying anymore. Just pick a Disney movie and a Disney hotel and put them together. It's all Disney, right?

Animaniac93-98

The Happiest Millionaire is a Disney movie about a pair of wealthy families who actually lived in 1910s America who likely would have travelled to Florida for vacation aboard a first class railroad car. The title character even has a dozen alligators as pets. "I captured them myself down in Florida" he says in the movie.

There's also a song and dance number in a bar called "Let's Have a Drink on It". They used to play it on Main Street. Clancy's Bar wouldn't have been built in a formal property like the Grand, but you could reference it in some ways.

But it's not a "franchise" like Disney Princess Belle so it can't be used...

SpaceMountain77

They're building a Tiana inspired restaurant at Fort Wilderness instead of the actual New Orleans hotel.

They're not even trying anymore. Just pick a Disney movie and a Disney hotel and put them together. It's all Disney, right?

I had long assumed that Tiana's Place would eventually come to Disney's Port Orleans - French Quarter resort, taking residence in the former Bonfamille's Cafe.

It truly is odd how irrelevant characters are selected over sensible storylines.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not even about upsells, what he said showed a total lack of understanding of not only the intent of the Grand Floridian's overall design, but what the IPs referenced in the post represent (the surrealist visuals and Victorian commentary of Alice in Wonderland are "fancy" now?) along with a strange and vague reasoning of what "fancy" is. I don't even know where to start.

That’s cheapie Chappie on the case. All things seem to be framed within a 1995 brick and mortar retail mentality...
...those places are dying at an alarming rate...not coincidentally

jmuboy

Indeed...

First, it resembles the hotel del Coronado near San Diego...but the period is still accurate (opened in 1888)...that’s right down the alley of the Victorian era.

Second, it was Influenced by other hotels...including the biltmore and the breakers...so not locked into just one model. Disney did that a lot...the American adventure building is a combo of several Buildings...notably faneuil hall, Monticello, the Virginian state house and independence hall.
It’s “architecture though collaboration” and it wasn’t “broke”.

This place serves two purposes:
1. Character nonsense to beat the modern wdw traveler like a drum...indoctrination 24 hours a day.
2. Vanity...as it’s ludicrously priced to serve a new generation of new money that go to excesses with everything in the modern “me culture”

Ok...just an opinion...don’t shoot me. In out 😎

Agreed......100%

HoldenC

It looks as uninspired as I imagined. The outrageous price points are great fun to giggle at over my morning coffee. I miss the days of being able to pop into the resort lounges for a quick drink or two after the parks. Now it is cheaper to drive over to Ale House.

JayKZ

Final thoughts from my visit during soft opening: As it's off the atrium, it doesn't call attention to itself too much. It can be safely ignored. BatB fans will love it, especially the"library". There's a clock, a teapot, a candelabrum. "Ooh, Mrs. Potts!" The "Forest room" is minimally furnished, possibly to facilitate reconfiguration for private parties, meet&greets, etc. Drinks are expensive, but signature drinks prepared tableside will be fun for some. Guests paying $700+ a night for a room will not be fazed by a $25 cocktail. All in all, is not my cup of tea, but some will adore it... and haters gonna hate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
$25 a drink 😮😮😮😮

I dont usually bawk to easily at WDW prices but jeeeezzzz!

Trader Sams -> Abramsland ->This...

Follow the progression. The thing about the mantras round here - “it’s worth it TO ME” and “I am individual, here me roar!” - that are often repeated is they are categorically wrong.

Everyone is caught in the net when people surrender. It ends up being anything but individual choice. The consumers have a duty to protect their own interests and price points.

Life sucks, huh?

And yes - you can always go somewhere else. However that is more damaging to Disney and the leftovers long term. The standards need to be “standard”. Places like this are just a manifestation of how little self control supposedly rational humans have in the swamp.

Example # 2,367 😎

dothebrdwalk

I had long assumed that Tiana's Place would eventually come to Disney's Port Orleans - French Quarter resort, taking residence in the former Bonfamille's Cafe.

It truly is odd how irrelevant characters are selected over sensible storylines.
The fact it's not going to Port Orleans is a bad sign in my opinion regarding the long term future of that resort....

wiredforflight

Beacon Joe

Oh yeah, this goes really, really well with the rest of the resort.

Enchanted-Rose_Full_36341.jpg

Enchanted-Rose_Full_36345.jpg
:hungover:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom