News Mizner's Lounge to be expanded at Disney's Grand Floridan Resort into a Beauty and the Beast inspired lounge

DisneyOutsider

Isn't it already? I know I've done it.

Sure, they've done it, but this seems to indicate they want to match the cool-ness of Trader Sam's at the other Monorail resorts.. and forcing it a bit.

Trader Sam's is an attraction all on it's own that the other resorts don't currently have.

Kman101

Sure, they've done it, but this seems to indicate they want to match the cool-ness of Trader Sam's at the other Monorail resorts.. and forcing it a bit.

Trader Sam's is an attraction all on it's own that the other resorts don't currently have.

"Forcing it" sounds about right.

It does sound like they want that Trader Sam's "appeal" but what they're forgetting is Sam's actually fits the resort it's in. It's a compliment.

This seems forced because they know, in the short term, the bottom line will probably be better. The vloggers and bloggers will descend upon it and chat it up for a month (when I've yet to see hardly anyone chat up Mizners, except on the forums and from the core WDW fans) ...

I do remember at one time, not too long ago, hearing somewhere that the GrandFlo restaurants were being "looked at" (like how they added Snow White character dining to the Wilderness - and no no inside information from me, I don't know anyone that important but I did hear the GrandFlo places weren't holding their weight, so to speak, no idea how true that actually is).

Remember when we kind of questioned Snow White? That seems silly now when you think of a Beauty and the Beast themed bar in the Grand Flo ... just feels so out of place. But theme appears out the window. I know they think they can just put "Disney IP" anywhere, but you really can't and shouldn't.

Oh well. I can gripe all day but they're going to do what they want :/

Bocabear

I don't know... with the loss of Pleasure Island, I rather like the idea of each resort having a destination lounge... It takes nothing away from those who want to do the family thing, and gives another layer to the rersort for us adults that may not be traveling with kids.
We have waited up to an hour to go into Trader Sam's and get a $15 drink...the Tambu Lounge was packed with strollers and families for O'Hana... I would love another choice for a fun adults lounge...Sophisticated eccentric turn-of-the-century library lounge with great craft cocktails and vintage spirits? Abolutely Love the idea. How about a swanky mid century outer space themed lounge for the Contemporary? A Big Thunder Mining Company inspired lounge for the Wilderness Lodge? My wallet would be wide open for any of these venues...It would be a very popular thing!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't know... with the loss of Pleasure Island, I rather like the idea of each resort having a destination lounge... It takes nothing away from those who want to do the family thing, and gives another layer to the rersort for us adults that may not be traveling with kids.
We have waited up to an hour to go into Trader Sam's and get a $15 drink...the Tambu Lounge was packed with strollers and families for O'Hana... I would love another choice for a fun adults lounge...Sophisticated eccentric turn-of-the-century library lounge with great craft cocktails and vintage spirits? Abolutely Love the idea. How about a swanky mid century outer space themed lounge for the Contemporary? A Big Thunder Mining Company inspired lounge for the Wilderness Lodge? My wallet would be wide open for any of these venues...It would be a very popular thing!
That’s not what they are building though.

Kman101

I have no problem with things like Trader Sams. There should be a 'destination' spot ...

This just isn't very fitting (and I know you agree on that) but I'm sure it'll will be more popular because it's tied to Beauty and the Beast. And that's clearly what they want, a "buzzed about bar" with cool theming. But this feels really forced, IMHO.

All of those ideas would be great! There are certainly more "in theme" options but they clearly don't care :(

Bocabear

I have no problem with things like Trader Sams. There should be a 'destination' spot ...

This just isn't very fitting (and I know you agree on that) but I'm sure it'll will be more popular because it's tied to Beauty and the Beast. And that's clearly what they want, a "buzzed about bar" with cool theming. But this feels really forced, IMHO.

All of those ideas would be great! There are certainly more "in theme" options but they clearly don't care :(
The B&TB angle doesn't fit at all, but if it could be a B&TB location by day for children's tea parties and convert into a non B&TB lounge at night, I would be behind that... Sounds like it will be definitely film themed though which is strange with the Be Our Guest restaurant already open... Like another Food and Beverage venue replicating the same locations seems like a very odd choice...
Hasn't Mary Poppins always been associated with the Grand Floridian? Why would they not as a natural extension use that as their inspiration... So many interesting locations from both of the movies...

ABQ

The B&TB angle doesn't fit at all, but if it could be a B&TB location by day for children's tea parties and convert into a non B&TB lounge at night, I would be behind that... Sounds like it will be definitely film themed though which is strange with the Be Our Guest restaurant already open... Like another Food and Beverage venue replicating the same locations seems like a very odd choice...
Hasn't Mary Poppins always been associated with the Grand Floridian? Why would they not as a natural extension use that as their inspiration... So many interesting locations from both of the movies...
Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland, either could do well in a tea party day time application. Certainly a Lewis Carroll themed bar would be just fine with me for the evening.

Kman101

Poppins, Cinderella, Alice, Pooh, all have been associated with the Grand Flo. I guess it was just easier to duplicate some things from the BATB instead of those. Imagine a Winnie the Pooh themed bar? LOL. But still ... Poppins could have worked.

I don't mind the idea of a Beauty and the Beast bar, actually (though I agree it sounds odd to replicate, even if it is the live action version, what they already did in Be Our Guest), it's just the location I find to be the problem.

lindawdw

I was pretty disappointed to read that they were expanding and retheming Mizner's Lounge. Although it was not always possible to get a seat because of the size of the room, it did feel like an intimate setting that was a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of the crowds at WDW. I will miss that and I also think you're going to be seeing children in the lounge with that type of theming. I wish the powers that be at Disney understood that it's not just adults with kids that go and spend their money there, older adults vacation there who really would love to have a few places like Mizner's Lounge to call our own.

ABQ

I found myself a few times going down to the check in desk at Citricos and getting drinks from their bar and sitting in their waiting area instead of Mizner's. Though it's a wide open area with tile floors and all, it was sometimes quieter and a better place to relax and carry on a conversation.

aliceismad

I think it a BatB bar will be popular. But I agree that it seems odd from a theming perspective. More so than Snow White at Wilderness Lodge.

Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland, either could do well in a tea party day time application. Certainly a Lewis Carroll themed bar would be just fine with me for the evening.
Isn't the Alice tea party still going on at GF at 1900 Park Fare, or has it been dumped for princesses? I know I've got a May reservation for 1900 Park Fare brunch, which usually has Alice, Mary Poppins, Pooh, etc.

I do think Alice would make a fine bar as well. But I may be a little biased.

Calmdownnow

How is that actually better? What does an English mathematician have to do with the Florida seaside?
I'll amend that for you : What does an English mathematician with a strange obsession with pre-pubescent young girls have to do with the Florida seaside. (Latest research on Lewis Carol suggests he might have had an unhealthy/nasty interest in the original Alice.)

Calmdownnow

I want to say current Mizner's capacity is around 65; they'll be adding a huge bar in the men's store plus half the hallway and the one balcony, so doubling that not too hard. Already two widely spaced large tables on the patio--make it four smaller tables, that's 16 seats. (Grog Grotto horrible for comparisons, lack of exits limits its capacity from what it could be.) Yeah, it's a lot of seats, but I assume they're overcompensating for previous failures to build capacity in Grand Villas and Grog Grotto. But when there's a convention or more than one wedding, I see every one of those seats being full.

I suspect the actual seating in current Mizner's is about 36-40 seats. Capacity with standing may be 60-65, but reporting suggests 140 seats in the new lounge, which might suggest total capacity of much more. eg. 200 people. This is a really massive bar/lounge by Disney resort standards.

High value conference traffic seems to be being directed away from Magic Kingdom resorts to either the new tower at Coronado Springs or to the expanded conference space at Yacht Club. I don't see the GF lounge expansion as a response to the presence of more conventioneers. I don't imagine more wedding parties at GF in the current economic climate.

So what business model is suggesting that on a good night they are going to bring in hundreds of punters to the bar/lounge at the Grand Floridian?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom