Misson Space ?

DisneyInTN

wdwmagic said:
If you cant gamble on safety, how can you let them ride in a car, or on a bus, on a train, or on an aircraft? They are far more dangerous than being on Mission Space with its track record of no incidents in 8.6 million. I know I have asked this before, but I am just trying to understand your thinking.

I think there is a difference between the risks of necessities in life versus amusement park rides. I think that may be the point of some posters. I need to ride in a car/bus/train/plane to get to work to make a living to afford a home for family, etc. I don't NEED to ride M:S and many people would rather not take ANY risk on an amusement park ride if there is one.

The_CEO

DisneyInTN said:
I think there is a difference between the risks of necessities in life versus amusement park rides. I think that may be the point of some posters. I need to ride in a car/bus/train/plane to get to work to make a living to afford a home for family, etc. I don't NEED to ride M:S and many people would rather not take ANY risk on an amusement park ride if there is one.
You all aren't grasping the idea here..

Mission Space did nothing but do what it was programed to do. It didn't see the family come in and say, " I don't like these people", and add an extra spin in the cycle..

Mission Space just performed as it was told too. There is a risk in swallowing your food..

Oh and if people feel their bodies ARE at risk on an attraction, then that is your decision and judgement.. NOT DISNEY's.

brich

wdwmagic said:
This determination is largely coming from the 20+ years of research that NASA, Disney and ETC have done into GForce effects on humans, and specifically to MS, the fact taht 8.6 million people have ridden without incident. We wont of course know for sure until the results are available.
Same research that deemed the Space Shuttle safe until it disintegrated over Texas I presume? I put more trust in Disney than I do the airlines, and the manufacturer of my car, but, the cause of death has still not been determined. My point is not that Disney is at fault. I truly don't think they are but that is just my opinion, which currently has no fact to back it up. The Space Shuttle has been grounded since the last accident for a reason. And although 8 million astronauts have not traveled on the shuttle, the fact is, there was an accident and Nasa needed to investigate and rectify any problems. :)

Ausdaddy

brich said:
Yes, we still fly and ride in cars but when an airliner goes down, there is a thorough investigation to understand what happened. When they solve the mystery and can confirm that type of aircraft is not a safety concern, then people fly. When an autopsy still is inconclusive, I find it somewhat confussing as to how one can determine the ride did not contribute to this tragedy. Let's not just pull the covers over this in hopes that it will go away. M:S should be up and running, but as soon as the evidence and true cause of death is discoverd. :)

Incorrect. People continue to fly, even on the same type of aircraft that went down, UNTIL the crash investigation determines that the aircraft type was at fault. Planes keep flying until you can prove a flaw in the aircraft. Likewise, M:S should keep "flying" until a flaw is proven. As Steve has pointed out, 8.6 million people are evidence that it works fine. :)

wannabeBelle

Hi again, The attraction itself was checked out and cleared. If this was as some have tried to make the correlation, an airline incident, other airplanes of this type would have been up and flying today as well!!! The child's body is definitely key here and I believe that a full autopsy will reveal the issues at work here. In the meanwhile, I dont think all the publicity( even the negative) is a bad thing. it will certainly give most people pause to go on such an attraction with small children, whereas prior to this they may not have given it any thought. Scooter, you are excersizing your parental rights. You are looking at a situation, evaluating the effects it may have on your children and are making an informed opinion as to if they should ride or not!!! Good for you!!! this is what ALL parents should be doing regularly!!!! If a child I was with got easily motion sick, I wouldnt allow them on this ride regardless of any tantrums that may ensue. I think you are being very responsible and a good parent. I still dont believe that the ride should be shut down as the mechanical side of things has been cleared, but certainly if you feel uncomfortable DONT RIDE!!!!
::getting off soapbox now::
Belle

DisneyInTN

The_CEO said:

Mission Space did nothing but do what it was programed to do. It didn't see the family come in and say, " I don't like these people", and add an extra spin in the cycle..

Mission Space just performed as it was told too. There is a risk in swallowing your food..

Oh and if people feel their bodies ARE at risk on an attraction, then that is your decision and judgement.. NOT DISNEY's.

I'm not blaming the ride. You cannot keep on using the tired excuse of "there is a risk in everything we do" because the risk it worth it if it means the continuation of quality and continuation of life. (Work, eating, sleeping, driving to the doctor, emergency surgery, etc.)

peter11435

Once again I will say this. If after all the facts are in, and it turns out that the childs health was the problem, I will allow my kids to ride Mission Space., but not until then.

Well than please answer me one question. If the child was in perfect health and nothing went wrong on the attraction (which we know as fact), then what could have possibly caused this one boy in almost 9 million to have such a bad reaction to the ride. The doctor at the hospital has already stated that there is no way that M:S would effect a "perfectly healthy" four year old in the way it did.

As far as the risk goes. Just like you don’t have to ride M:S you also don’t have to swim in a pool. But far more people die in a pool each year than those who ride M:S.

No need to be rude...the facts ARE right in froint of me.

I know that seems to be the problem. The facts ARE right in front of you and yet you still can't see them.

PirateJ

Thanks for the support ISTC!

Any ride with barf bags is a problem for me. that's just a huge red flag right there.

Any thoughts if the family will TRY to sue Disney?

brich

The_CEO said:

I don't think anybody is saying the ride malfunctioned are they? And yes, it's a risk to swallow food but we do know to chew food and cut it small for smaller mouths and to take precautions because we know the risks. It is the responsibility of the guest to know whether they are fit enough for a ride but is it not the obligation of Disney to post known risks? And if so, we may be looking at a new risk that we were up until now unaware of. :)

GTOKID

When I frist rode MS I was dissapointed when I saw how tame it was ...and thought the ride was over hyped. My 5yr brother who was 43.ALMOST 44 in rode as well as a 6yr in our group and my mother and father(47yrs,and 54) all were fine as well . We also did TOT and RnR. Everyone was fine. You are more likely to die driving to the park than on the rides. Life is full of risks. Danger abounds in your home. I am sorry when any child dies. No one expects to die or get hurt. But lets not jump to blame the parents or Disney.

peter11435

brich said:
I don't think anybody is saying the ride malfunctioned are they? And yes, it's a risk to swallow food but we do know to chew food and cut it small for smaller mouths and to take precautions because we know the risks. It is the responsibility of the guest to know whether they are fit enough for a ride but is it not the obligation of Disney to post known risks? And if so, we may be looking at a new risk that we were up until now unaware of. :)
I would say Disney pretty much covers that angle by warning against riding with major problems, and then ending with "or any other condition that may be aggravated by this..."

1disneydood

How about "ride at your own risk"? Don't trust the ride, then don't ride it. If you trust it, ride it AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I don't understand how a ride should be shut down because you don't trust it. Don't ride it then, but allow those of us who are willing to experience it have fun. If die, then it's my own fault. If a child dies, it's the parents fault then. So they can be blamed.

Mountains are dangerous to climb, so level them all?

nibblesandbits

I believe that Mission Space is a relatively safe ride, as the reports have proven. What I just don't understand is how a parent could allow their 4 year old child on that ride...especially with all of the warnings that are given. If I were a parent and noticed that there were a bunch of warnings about a ride, I would ride it myself first and then make the judgement on whether or not I believed my child could handle the attraction. (And after riding it myself and feeling the g-forces put on your body, I probably would NOT let my four year old ride it...it is just too intense for their little bodies) But these days, too many people rely on the fact that if the ride is "safe" then it should be fine for their child to ride. (I mean look at all the people who allowed their children to ride Alien Encounter when that was open...that ride scared the bejusus out of me and I was 17 at the time...imagine a little four year old). The child's parents are the ones who are responsible for allowing him to ride...why does it seem like none of the blame is being put on them?

All it takes is a little common sense on the part of parents. Just step back and look at things before you decide that something is ok for your child. And Scooter, while I respect your decision to not let your children ride this ride, I do not believe that the ride should be shut down. As stated earlier, riding or not riding is your choice, but you shouldn't dictate MY ability to ride this ride, should I so choose.

I do believe that this accident is a tragic one, but from the evidence that I have heard, so far, it does not warrant any drastic measures, ie closing the ride.

brich

peter11435 said:
I would say Disney pretty much covers that angle by warning against riding with major problems, and then ending with "or any other condition that may be aggravated by this..."
I guess your right, legally. A good blanket statement generally covers all angles. I guess the point I'm trying to make is yes, for the vast majority of riders, this ride is safe, but something happened and we don't know what. Am I the only one that would take comfort in knowing what really happened? I mean, what is a major problem? The warnings mention backs and necks on most of these rides with warnings. Might there be concern for small/young children? How many of these "8.6 million" riders were 4 year olds? There are a lot of questions and yet this board is only LOADED with answers. :veryconfu

sackbutt

I was very sad to hear about the little boy dying on Monday, I have a little boy that is five and we are excited about our first trip as a family to Disneyworld. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

I believe that if the ride checked out o.k. and the initial investigation couldn't prove that the ride caused the death then it should remain open. The argument about the dangers we encounter in cars is a very good one. I do believe however we should educate ourselves as much as possible about the more intesnse rides that are being created. I believe it's an individuals responsiblity to take care of themselves just as much as Disney's.

I was very uneasy about going on this ride before the little boy passed away. Many people have said that they were very ill and others talk about pressure on their chest. Is there any data about the percentages of people that ride that have some negative reaction? After reading about the ride it would seem like about 50/50. I understand after reading about the ride that riders experience two G's. How long does the rider endure the two G's? Most rollercoaster that are intense don't subject the rider to intense G's for very long before the G's let up. Any ride data that anyone know's about would be helpful to me in my decision.

Edeyore

Scooter said:
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I think this ride should be closed until they determine how and why this child died.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was only opened after they fixed the problem.
They KNEW why that ride broke down and fixed the problem.

In this case, they don't know anything except that a child died after riding this attraction.

Generally speaking,4 year olds don't just pass out and die for no reason...and until they determine what caused this to happen, Disney is gambling that it won't happen again. Imagine the lawsuits and grief if another child died and THEN they found out what caused it.

I ,for one, won't allow MY children to experiance this attraction until I know it's 100% safe to ride.

I know all the facts,and that 8 million people have ridden this attraction and not had a problem...but once a child dies, these numbers don't mean anything to me except this...my child could die on this ride.

Just my opinions people..don't go off on me now. :lookaroun

You know the funny thing is, to me, you sound like a concerned parent, with
a clear vision of what is really important in the world. The ride may have had
absolutely nothing to do with this tragedy, but what if height isn't the only
important requirement for this ride. A 4 year old may be more sensitive to the
G forces from this ride than others. You make sure the ride is safe for those
that are going to ride it, and you don't take chances with even one life in
8 million.

KnK

Our local paper this morning said that the mother noticed before the ride stated that the child was already acting strange. She took hold the childs hand and tried to comfort the child before the ride started!

There is more to this than what they are saying. I have tried to stay out of the conversation because I feel sorry for the family. I was not there, and I don't think I will ever know every detail, and I hate to pass judgement.

peter11435

PirateJ said:
I said any RIDE. Not commercial airliners. Please get it straight.
But the thing is that the bags on M:S are for people who people get motion sick. However contrary to popular belief, as many people get sick on some roller coasters and the teacups as do on M:S. In M:S they are just nice enough to provide you with a bag. This is more to do with the fact that people in M:S are going to get sick indoors rather than outdoors and the bags make cleanup much easier. The fact that the ride has “motion sickness bags” should not set of any more red flags than seeing any ride that spins.

angelfaerie52

I don't agree with you at all. It was not the fault of the ride. Disney checked it out, nothing malfunctioned.

When someone dies on a roller coaster, it is not shut down. Do you send your children on BTMR? People have no problem going on roller coasters which do result in deaths. The autopsy showed no trauma to this child. I will be ed if the ride closes down.

Scooter said:
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I think this ride should be closed until they determine how and why this child died.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was only opened after they fixed the problem.
They KNEW why that ride broke down and fixed the problem.

In this case, they don't know anything except that a child died after riding this attraction.

Generally speaking,4 year olds don't just pass out and die for no reason...and until they determine what caused this to happen, Disney is gambling that it won't happen again. Imagine the lawsuits and grief if another child died and THEN they found out what caused it.

I ,for one, won't allow MY children to experiance this attraction until I know it's 100% safe to ride.

I know all the facts,and that 8 million people have ridden this attraction and not had a problem...but once a child dies, these numbers don't mean anything to me except this...my child could die on this ride.

Just my opinions people..don't go off on me now. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom