Mission: Space

grandmath

Corrus said:
Ahh... it isn't THAT easy... if you would lower the rotation speed, let's say by 1 mile per hour... the whole effect could be gone... it's more like fine tuning rotation inch by inch... and that could take quite some time...

I don't understand. So what would they do if they want to make it 2G instead of 2.5G? :confused: Slow it down a bit, no? The effect of pressure would still be there but less intense.

Don't get me wrong, I love how it is and don't want to see it change, but I don't understand how it could be so difficult to change it.

imagineer99

Because...in order to keep everything in Synch...if you were to lower the rotation speed, You would have to reprogram the centrifuge to accelearate at a slower rate.

This would then cause you to re-work almost the entire ride. It could be done. But, Like I said, it wouldn't be as simple as flipping a switch.

Drebel

If you lower the speed of the centrifuge by 1mph then the scene for example when you reach space and you feel "weightlessness" will not synch with the speed of the ride. The video would be out with the motion of the ride.

Any info you need on how to calculate G-Forces etc:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question633.htm

The website also explains that the space shuttle is 3gs, however a space shuttle blast off lasts longer than mission space.

EDIT: Loved the ride didn't feel sick AT ALL, however the first time out I was a little disoriented and walked into the middle of the room instead of following the yellow line... (I think.. )

LadyDarling

imagineer99 said:
Correct.

However, such forces experienced on a coaster, are only experienced for a very short period of time.

In contrast, M:S pushes such G's for a much longer time span.

Agreed. But if it's the actual number of G's that's freaking folks out, usually the fact that you've survived more in the rockin' roller coaster and such sets thier minds at ease. You're right though, that Mission:Space gives you less G's for more time. Not enough to make your blood bubble or anything, but enough to give you a little high off of it. :)

Tim G

MissM said:
Perhaps someone needs to educate the CM's at epcot then. Because I had several over several visits discuss the differences between the pre-opening testing and the official opening with me.

*shrugs*

Like I said, I only rode it once and I haven't ridden it in a year. But that's what I've been informed by CM's.
-m
Maybe people should better read what others are writing, there are people who vist these boards who know what they're really talking about, thus CM's have nothing to do with that...

Tim G

grandmath said:
I don't understand. So what would they do if they want to make it 2G instead of 2.5G? :confused: Slow it down a bit, no? The effect of pressure would still be there but less intense.

Don't get me wrong, I love how it is and don't want to see it change, but I don't understand how it could be so difficult to change it.
Sorry, you're still not reading what I write...:)

Tim G

Drebel said:
If you lower the speed of the centrifuge by 1mph then the scene for example when you reach space and you feel "weightlessness" will not synch with the speed of the ride. The video would be out with the motion of the ride.

Any info you need on how to calculate G-Forces etc:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question633.htm

The website also explains that the space shuttle is 3gs, however a space shuttle blast off lasts longer than mission space.
Ahhh...... FINALLY !!!... there's someone who... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MissM

Corrus said:
Maybe people should better read what others are writing, there are people who vist these boards who know what they're really talking about, thus CM's have nothing to do with that...
Sheesh. No need to snark. I only got here a few days ago. I haven't read "all the other threads on it." I've only ridden it once so it's not like I can even say what it's like now. And I wasn't saying you were lying just that perhaps the reason so many people believe that it's been reduced is that CM's actively discuss that it had been.

Generally, there is creedence to what a CM tells you. Afterall, they work there and are privvy to things that you, as the general tourist, aren't.
-m

LadyDarling

Just a thought, but perhaps the reason folks feel it's less intense now that some time has passed has nothing to do technically with the ride itself, and more to do with the novelty wearing off?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
LadyDarling said:
Just a thought, but perhaps the reason folks feel it's less intense now that some time has passed has nothing to do technically with the ride itself, and more to do with the novelty wearing off?

You mean, people aren't going to love M:S in a few years? But, that's impossible, just ask the suits who did all sorts of research into this.

*end sarcasm*

The whole problem is that rides are now rides, because management has deemed it "better". There was a time when a new attraction opened, it was an 'experience', not just a 'ride'. Those times are gone, apparently. At least, gone under current management. Perhaps Everest will go against the grain on this, and I sincerely hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim G

MissM said:
Sheesh. No need to snark. I only got here a few days ago. I haven't read "all the other threads on it." I've only ridden it once so it's not like I can even say what it's like now. And I wasn't saying you were lying just that perhaps the reason so many people believe that it's been reduced is that CM's actively discuss that it had been.

Generally, there is creedence to what a CM tells you. Afterall, they work there and are privvy to things that you, as the general tourist, aren't.
-m
Didnt meant to be harsh, sorry...

CM's know things, on need to know basis...

And the technical part, is for most of them, irrelevant...

MissM

Corrus said:
Didnt meant to be harsh, sorry...

CM's know things, on need to know basis...

And the technical part, is for most of them, irrelevant...
S'ok. And you're right about technical knowledge though I suppose people will often be prone to believe things "from the horse's mouth" as it were. Just adds to the mis-/confused/wrong information that circles out there.
-m

Miss Bell

I don't want to get in the middle of an altercation, I don't know if they have, or even could have toned it down. I do know that at the end of June, a CM working at MS told me they had toned it down since last June when the CM's and some guests, including me, had ridden before the soft opening. I know that it seem any different to me from last year than this year, but the CM was spouting numbers about the difference in ratio of people coming off sick before they "toned it down," as to after.

I don't want to give mis-information, but it is hard to not feel like you know what you're talking about when your info comes straight from a cast member.

At any rate, it's a great ride. I wish we could all be there riding it now, instead of arguing about it. :)

AEfx

Miss Bell said:
I don't want to give mis-information, but it is hard to not feel like you know what you're talking about when your info comes straight from a cast member.

I'm with you, Miss Belle! I tend to believe that if someone actually works at the attraction, their opinion counts just a tad more, in spite of what other fans say. I'm not saying they may not be incorrect, but many CMs are as passionate (if not more so) than even we are, and tend to know their stuff. There is also a big difference between people that are career Disney people vs. those that are in the CP - although you find just as many dedicated people in the CP as well.

AEfx

LadyDarling

HauntedPirate said:
You mean, people aren't going to love M:S in a few years? But, that's impossible, just ask the suits who did all sorts of research into this.

*end sarcasm*
Some of their research is well founded! LOL It'll be top on my "to go on" list for years to come!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Tired, very tired..

imagineer99 said:
I still think that the ride has never been changed in terms of intensity.

I think that re-programming the ride itself would be quite time consuming. The ride operators simply can't flip a switch and change the revolving speed of the centrifuge. This would involve changing speeds through several parts of the ride while still making sure that the video is in synch. This would take a while.

I belive that the g's have been set since July...Disney set them after serious research.

The problem comes when people ride, when they KNOW they shouldn't;)

I don't know of any reason that this has changed. I was there during the July soft openings and again in March. CM's I talked to said it was the same. I think word may have gotten out that if you say it has been tamed, that people will relax and not talk themselves into nausea.

Either you enjoy the ride or not, do it or do other things. Noone complains on the docks when we go out on charter boats about getting sick, I don't hear anyone complain about the various other thrill rides at other parks that have a regular regurg. factor. Why is this so different? Maybe we should shut down ToT and HM...I always see children coming off of them crying...so if it isn't for everyone, it must be wrong.

Sorry for the rant, but the ride is what it is and it will always affect some "motion sensitive" people. As earlier posters said, the teacups bother them, but they are smart enough not to ride. :zipit:

Drebel

Another comment, I rode different pods, and for some reason the red was the strongest and the yellow was the tamest... Maybe it was a mental thing i'm not sure, but in the red one I could feel the gforces a little bit stronger than on the yellow one. That or the cold air rushing into your face in one is not the same as in the other pod. :hammer:

davids92

I went on Mission Space in March the first thing in the morning. I didn't get sick but is a lot of worrying about getting sick. It is a type of ride that I felt once was enough.

I enjoyed Horizons a lot better. afte watching the video of Horizons recently I realized just how much better it was a nice long ride, looking at the future in a positive way. Mission Space just shows what it is like to lift into space and the feelings that you have from it and how uncomfortable it can be.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Preferred sources

I don't want to give mis-information, but it is hard to not feel like you know what you're talking about when your info comes straight from a cast member. - Miss Bell

I'm with you, Miss Belle! I tend to believe that if someone actually works at the attraction, their opinion counts just a tad more, in spite of what other fans say. I'm not saying they may not be incorrect, but many CMs are as passionate (if not more so) than even we are, and tend to know their stuff. There is also a big difference between people that are career Disney people vs. those that are in the CP - although you find just as many dedicated people in the CP as well. - AEfx

Just a word of caution until you get to know folks and their backgrounds here. You ARE dealing with many who know more than most CM's. You also have many of those "passionate" CM's here that don't necessarily identify themselves as such. My suggestion is that you err on the side of trusting many here first. :rolleyes:

AEfx

ClemsonTigger said:
Just a word of caution until you get to know folks and their backgrounds here. You ARE dealing with many who know more than most CM's. You also have many of those "passionate" CM's here that don't necessarily identify themselves as such. My suggestion is that you err on the side of trusting many here first. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, but I'll draw my own conclusions, thank you. Just because some people on this forum tend to try to shout down other people or otherwise try to make themselves feel more important than anyone else doesn't mean they are necessarily right. It does not make them wrong either, regardless I'm going to give more credibility to talking to cast members in person than I do what some anonymous person says on the Internet.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom