Mission: Space

grandmath

MissM said:
Ah, but in September it had already officially opened.

The world may never know. :p
-m

No it hadn't, it was still in pre-opening phase. I rode it at that time too. The official opening occured the first week of October. Maybe it has been changed between the first tests with guests and Auguest 15th (when it was officialy declared in "pre-opening" every day)

I will be sure of that when I ride it again next September. :animwink:

barnum42

WDWhumanmap said:
i am still alittle shaken when it comes to launch.
what does it feel like??
can i wear my glasses i am either afriad they will fall off and indent themselves into my skin.
i don't want to take them off though so i can navigate my family safley to mars.
I wear my glasses on the ride and have no fear of them falling off. It's nowhere near as violent as a rollercoaster or the other flight simulators in the parks. Takeoff is just a steady increase in straight g-forces pushing you back into your chair (if anything it also keep your glasses on your face).

barnum42

WDWHumanmap - thanks for the PM. However I could not reply to it as you have yet to switch on the ability to receive PMs. You can activate it by going to User CP, then pick Edit Options and from the list that comes up tick the Enable Private Messaging.

Rodneyt74

Hi everyone!! only second post here. LOL great site.. anyway.. I rode MS on july 27th when still testing it. My wife and I came out really dizzy and sick. They were asking everyone there question.. well everyone that wasn't throwing up.. LOL It was pretty intense then.. don't know if they did back it down any but a disney employee that was talking to family next to me said they were going to back it down a bit on the speed in hopes of not causing so many sickness.. The family next to me was pretty upset because in july there was no warning about the ride posted outside or before we borded.. there little girl was really sick.. very white faced.. and throwing up.. Don't know though if they did slow it down any.. I will post during our vacation in september if no one else has posted about it.. It was a really cool ride though.. very convincing that you had blasted off and were in space.. the really cool part to me was that the blast off and g force throwing you back in seat lasted so long and so strong.. Don't want to get sick again on ride but hope if they have backed it down it didn't take away from what I experienced back in july 03.

flyersmv

ok im pretty sure i can answer almost all your questions.......

1. the way they make you feel the Gs when u lift off is by spining...think when you were all 4-5 when one of your grabs your arm and spins you....you feel like your going foward....not spinning...its a similar feeling except WAY more high tech

2. YES they did tame it......my sister went on it in July and got shaken up a little...she didint want to go on it this year when we went b/c she was scared she would get sick.....when we were talking to a CM on the fireworks cruise he told us that they tamed it about a week after opening....2 days later my sister went on it and was fine (i dont think she was able to make it through b/c of luck)

3. IMO if u can handle star tours or back to the future u will be able to handle this......M:S isnt nearly as rough.....its very smooth and i dont think u feel like you are spinning.....there was only one point where i felt a little disorinnted.....and there is an easy solution to that....keep ur head stright and eyes open but move your eyes (not ur head) and look around the screen at the bottuns and such and not directly at it...that makes it alot better (well for me it did)

i would definatly recomend going on this ride its simply unbeluievbable

grandmath

Well, I think we can sum up by sayong they may have toned M:S down a bit, but a few days after the unofficial soft openings in June-July 2003. I think since August 15th (first day of continuous pre opening operation) it didn't change though.

imagineer99

I still think that the ride has never been changed in terms of intensity.

I think that re-programming the ride itself would be quite time consuming. The ride operators simply can't flip a switch and change the revolving speed of the centrifuge. This would involve changing speeds through several parts of the ride while still making sure that the video is in synch. This would take a while.

I belive that the g's have been set since July...Disney set them after serious research.

The problem comes when people ride, when they KNOW they shouldn't;)

grandmath

Why would lowering the g forces take so much time? Decreasing the speed won't change anything to the synchronization with the movie, it will just decrease the pressure on you. Same as if you slowed down the tea cups's spinning.

MissM

Rodneyt74 said:
They were asking everyone there question.. well everyone that wasn't throwing up.. LOL
<snip>
The family next to me was pretty upset because in july there was no warning about the ride posted outside or before we borded..
Oh yeah, same here. I think my response to the woman was something like "oh s h i t!t" or something like that. *laughs* And yeah, I couldn't believe how there were no warnings. They're EVERYWHERE now. I didn't know squat about the technology or what the ride actually was, anything, I just though, oh, cool, new ride, I'll try it. I think so many people rode it that otherwise wouldn't have in those testing days because they didn't have warnings everywhere. (Now of course, they're absurd with the number of them, but still)
-m</snip>

Tim G

grandmath said:
Well, I think we can sum up by sayong they may have toned M:S down a bit, but a few days after the unofficial soft openings in June-July 2003. I think since August 15th (first day of continuous pre opening operation) it didn't change though.
From the 1st soft openings day...
NOTHING has been changed... G's at 2,5... from the start...

TinkerBell_904

i love this ride so much
i've been on it so many times!
idk
i felt a little weightless-ness and it was VERY COOL
i recommend this ride 2 everyone!

Tim G

imagineer99 said:
Thank you for corroborating that, Corrus. :)

Frankly, I think that the ride ain't intense at all. Just a lot of fun.
Indeed... 2.5 G's and a barf bag in the other hand...

Have to cool down a bit, someone is lowering my reputation for being harsh... :veryconfu

:lol: LOL :lol:

I just hate people which are shouting over the keyboard!!! :zipit:

WDWScottieBoy

Now that we know it is indeed 2.5 G's that we experience, does anyone know what the actual ones are during the space shuttle's lift-off? I want to know how the two compare to each other. 2.5 G's is a lot, but I'm guessing the astronauts go through like 4-6 or something like that. I can't wait to be on Mission:Space in 11 days!!!

Tim G

grandmath said:
Why would lowering the g forces take so much time? Decreasing the speed won't change anything to the synchronization with the movie, it will just decrease the pressure on you. Same as if you slowed down the tea cups's spinning.
Ahh... it isn't THAT easy... if you would lower the rotation speed, let's say by 1 mile per hour... the whole effect could be gone... it's more like fine tuning rotation inch by inch... and that could take quite some time...
But that's not the point... the point is that after the sandbag testing, the ride profile was set to 2.5 G's... and Disney can't change that...
And even if they could, why should they... M:S is fine as it is... with the barf bags and all.. it's a great ride...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Corrus said:
From the 1st soft openings day...
NOTHING has been changed... G's at 2,5... from the start...
I think I need a huge page on the main site dedicated to the fact that the ride has not been toned down. ;) I must have posted it here at least 30 times by now, and I know you and others have done the same. However, it seems to go in one ear and out of the other with some members!

MissM

wdwmagic said:
I think I need a huge page on the main site dedicated to the fact that the ride has not been toned down. ;) I must have posted it here at least 30 times by now, and I know you and others have done the same. However, it seems to go in one ear and out of the other with some members!
Perhaps someone needs to educate the CM's at epcot then. Because I had several over several visits discuss the differences between the pre-opening testing and the official opening with me.

*shrugs*

Like I said, I only rode it once and I haven't ridden it in a year. But that's what I've been informed by CM's.
-m

LadyDarling

WDWScottieBoy said:
Now that we know it is indeed 2.5 G's that we experience, does anyone know what the actual ones are during the space shuttle's lift-off? I want to know how the two compare to each other. 2.5 G's is a lot, but I'm guessing the astronauts go through like 4-6 or something like that. I can't wait to be on Mission:Space in 11 days!!!

Astronauts during lift off pull 3 g's. You pull just more than that when you're riding California Screamin' or Rockin' Roller Coaster. Their shooting pulls about 3 to 4 gs.

imagineer99

Correct.

However, such forces experienced on a coaster, are only experienced for a very short period of time.

In contrast, M:S pushes such G's for a much longer time span.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom