Mission:Space update (confirmed)

lazyboy97o

I believe during the pre-opening testing of the ride, they found out that they couldn't force people to have to use the buttons, because it forced people to not keep their head straight and made people sick.
The buttons have never worked because there are multiple capsules all moving in sync.

DisneyFan 2000

I think something was lost in translation with all the rumors spinning around. The original poster (forgot who it was, forgive me) claimed Splash was going down early so that a future MK project could happen during the winter months - the traditional time for refurbing Splash. Also to go with that would be a refurb of Mission Space, which would adhere to Disney's internal "rule of thumb" for up to 2 major rides down at the resort at any given moment. This is the only connection between the 2 events. No details were offered as to what either refurbishment project would entail.

msteel

Yep. I was there for those soft openings and the buttons never did react (to best of my recollection.)

Well, what I remember from my handful of rides is that the buttons "work" but what happens is easy to miss.
If you push it at the right time an audio message plays saying that the function was activated.
If you do not push it (soon enough) an audio message plays saying that the autopilot has engaged the function for you.

But, other than that no difference that I know. And, that's about all you could expect given the ride system.

rushtest4echo

zuhyzr.jpg

ToTBellHop

I think something was lost in translation with all the rumors spinning around. The original poster (forgot who it was, forgive me) claimed Splash was going down early so that a future MK project could happen during the winter months - the traditional time for refurbing Splash. Also to go with that would be a refurb of Mission Space, which would adhere to Disney's internal "rule of thumb" for up to 2 major rides down at the resort at any given moment. This is the only connection between the 2 events. No details were offered as to what either refurbishment project would entail.
Correct.

ToTBellHop

What kind of update can they do to Mission Space? Have the centrifuge turn the other way? Get a Space-X sponsor and we get to design our own space capsule in the queue?
Upgrade the visuals from Nintendo 64 to PS4 caliber? Fix a story that has never been able to fully commit to this being a training mission or a real mission to Mars? Attractive "space-sickness bags"?

shernernum

So we live in a world now where we actively hope a movie that could be a lot of fun to go watch is terrible and bombs, because some idiots in suits may decide to re-theme a ride based on the IP. I think we need to get a grip.
Let me expand, because I don't think I was clear in my point. Guardians is not the problem. I like Guardians of the Galaxy and the second one looks like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to seeing it for exactly what it is going to be, a fun popcorn movie.
Hoping it sucks, so that they don't retheme a ride based on the IP is dumb, because the particular IP is not the problem. Disney will always have another go to, popular IP, so if it's not Guardians it will be the next big thing. The problem is the pervasive mentality that whatever the big IP of the moment is, it has to be shoehorned into a place where it either doesn't belong or only marginally fits, instead of finding a well thought out, cohesive, and original way to use it.
However, the depression level over some of this stuff is a little over the top.

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
Great interpretation of my vague and spotty theory. You said it better than I did. It's been mentioned elsewhere that M:S is first on the list of projects. I was hoping someone with inside info could offer details, as it seems other projects which are less likely are being discussed in much greater volume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom