Mission: Space tragedy

Gucci65

shoppingnut said:
I did not ASSUME the child was whining, but commenting on some of the other posts that discussed whining children. I wasn't aware the WDW was the be all and end all of the deciding factor in riding something and that no common sense on your part was necessary. It's not the "end of discussion," I have an opinion on it and so stated my opinion which I am entitled to and if you disagree, you are entitled to disagree.

Nanny 911 could do big business at Disney with the amount of melt downs and bad behavior that I've witnessed.

I never said WDW was the be all and end all deciding factor for riding MS. I agreed with Snapper Bean that the PARENT can decide if THEIR child is "mature" enough to ride. Don't start insulting people saying they don't have common sense in their decisions to let children ride.

And I was quoting your use of "end of discussion"

How many kids did you say you had?

Shaman

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/disney_world_death;_ylt=AtxYtwo4QLJYowLbh0sbm9es0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bm5xNHVjBHNlYwNtcA--

Disney World: Ride Safe, Running Normally <!-- END HEADLINE -->
<!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A 4-year-old boy died after a spin on a Walt Disney World spaceship ride so intense that some riders have been taken to the hospital with chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye lost consciousness Monday aboard "Mission: Space," which spins riders in a giant centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity. The boy's mother carried him off the ride, and paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at a hospital.
An autopsy Tuesday showed no trauma so further tests will be conducted and a cause of death may not be known for several weeks, said Sheri Blanton, a spokeswoman for the Medical Examiner's Office in Orlando.

The sheriff's office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride.
The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

Disney officials said in a statement that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time." No changes were made to the ride or in who is permitted to ride it.

"We believe the ride is safe in its current configuration," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.

More than 8.6 million visitors have gone on "Mission: Space" since 2003, Polak said.

The ride recreates a rocket launch and a trip to Mars. A clock counts down before a simulated blastoff that includes smoke and flame and the sound of roaring rocket engines. The G-forces twist and distort riders' faces.

An audio recording and a video warn of the risks. Signs advise pregnant women not to go on the ride. Motion sickness bags are offered to riders. One warning sign posted last year read: "For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure."

Since the attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious incidents to the state. The most recent case was last summer, when a 40-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after fainting.

"Two Gs is not that big a deal," said Houston-based theme park consultant Randy King, a former safety director at Six Flags, which operates 30 amusement parks.

The boy from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother and a sister. During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened, so she took his hand. When the ride was over, he had gone limp.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. A medical examiner's report said her death "was not unexpected."

Florida's major theme parks not directly regulated by the state, and instead have their own inspectors.

Jacks Sally

Now that I'm done skimming through all of the post
I'm all sad this morning :(

Such a horrible thing to have happened
My heart and prayers go out to the family :cry:

and lets not blame on the mother.....no! no! no! :cry:

dizknee

I will be very brief.

Yes it is sad. Yes it is a tragedy.

But if somebody dies choking on a Hot dog do we no longer sell Hot dogs at Disney?

I.M.Fearless

A moment of silence and prayer :cry:

This is a very sad story. My prayers go out to the poor boy and his family.
Now, please forgive me, but I feel I should point out a couple of things here.
The death seems to be mostly unrelated to the ride. The closest the ride could have done was trigger some kind of brain problem, such as epilepsy. It is most likely similar to the previously mentioned item about the poor woman who passed away on Pirates of the Carribbean: a death that would have happened whether on the ride or not. The ratings system that somebody mentioned earlier (giving number or letter ratings to rides, like movies or video games) would be a great idea. This idea already exists at Cedar Point in Ohio, but it is somewhat flawed there: the ratings go from 1 to 5, but rides as different as Disaster Transport and Top Thrill Dragster both have a rating of 5. The idea for an age limit is interesting as well. I recall Alien Encounter having a limit of 7 and up, for different but obvious reasons. However, it was already mentioned that people would just try to cheat the rule. Also, there is currently a limit that nobody under 7 is allowed on I think every attraction at Walt Disney World unless there is an adult with them. This rule was probably first created for the sole reason that an adult can keep watch of the kids. The height requirements are mostly for a different reason: simply put, people within the height requirements fit best in the restraints for the ride. I'm not sure, but I believe some government commission must give minimum and maximum posted requirements, and Disney decides to set their requirements somewhere within the commission's recommendations. This would be shown by the fact that Stitch's Great Escape has had its requirements increased when there was no physical change in the seats and restraints. SGE also encourages the fact that sometimes a height restriction serves a secondary purpose of filtering rider age. However, using a height restriction to focus on the age of riders is a bad idea. My parents tell me I was fully eligible to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at age 3 (however, I instead wanted to spend the entire time at Dumbo). And finally, there is going to be news reports that tangle the facts. However, there is no real reason to get angry at anyone about a tragic incident such as this.
I offer my full condolences and prayers to the family during this incredibly hard time.
And please ignore my signiture.

peter11435

rmforney said:
Well, MS is opened again today.
Of coarse it is. The ride is perfectly safe and there is nothing wrong with it. Anyone who tries to dispute that is foolish as the facts prove it to be true.

speck76

Epcot ride death a mystery
No signs of trauma to 4-year-old's body

By Jerry W. Jackson, Henry Pierson Curtis and Robyn Shelton | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted June 15, 2005

Authorities were trying to determine Tuesday why a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy collapsed on Epcot's Mission: Space ride and later died.

Daudi Bamuwamye, who was visiting the park Monday with his mother and sister, was barely big enough to meet the height requirements for the intense, 4-minute ride. He stood 3 feet 10, just 2 inches taller than the 44-inch minimum listed on the warning signs.

A preliminary autopsy report Tuesday found no signs of trauma. It may take four to 12 weeks for the final results.

Daudi's mother, Agnes Bamuwamye, told Orange County authorities that at one point in the ride Monday afternoon, she reached for her son when she thought he was afraid. Toward the end of the ride, she said, his "body was rigid and his legs were extended straight out."

Bamuwamye said she carried her son out of the ride and sought help. Daudi was treated on the scene by Walt Disney World employees and Reedy Creek paramedics before being taken to Celebration Hospital, where he was declared dead.

A tape recording of the 911 call shows Disney workers took more than 2 minutes before starting cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the lifeless child.

A Mission: Space supervisor thought Daudi had passed out on the thrill ride. He didn't mention that the child was not breathing until a fire-rescue dispatcher asked 1 minute 20 seconds into the emergency call.

"Is he breathing?" the female dispatcher asked.

"Is he breathing?" the male supervisor responded. "No. He's currently not breathing."

A quick back-and-forth followed.

"He's not breathing?" she asked.

"No," the man responded.

At 1 minute, 45 seconds, the dispatcher said, "OK, I need somebody to go over to the child, and I can give you directions to do CPR."

At 2 minutes, 40 seconds on the 911 recording, the ride supervisor told the dispatcher that CPR was being done by a CPR-certified employee. Reedy Creek Fire Rescue paramedics arrived at 4 minutes, 30 seconds.

When a heart stops, brain death can begin within four to six minutes.

Reedy Creek Fire Rescue spokesman Bo Jones confirmed that CPR did not begin until more than 21/2 minutes into the emergency call. He said the sooner CPR is begun after someone stops breathing, the better the chances are for survival.

Daudi's death prompted renewed calls Tuesday for greater oversight of big parks and rides.

Although Disney World checked Mission: Space, declared it safe and reopened it Tuesday morning, that should not be enough, said Kathy Fackler, founder of Saferparks, a California-based nonprofit lobbying for more federal inspections and standardized reporting.

"Anytime you have a fatality on a commercial thrill ride, someone from an agency should come in and find out what they can find out, and track it," Fackler said.

Florida exempts large parks from the same inspections of small amusement parks, and nationally the Consumer Product Safety Commission gets involved only with traveling fairs and parks.

U.S. Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., repeated his call Tuesday for Congress to put the safety commission in charge of investigating all parks. He said Monday's death raises questions that should be answered by a federal agency.

"How are height restrictions determined? Do they rise as the force of the ride increases? Should there be an age restriction as well?" Markey said in a statement. He introduced a bill last month calling for regulatory oversight by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the height restrictions are based on the mechanics of restraint systems, and if children are large enough to be restrained in seats, then it is safe for them to ride. The $100 million attraction opened in 2003 and spins riders in a centrifuge to simulate the feel of a rocket launch.

She said the company felt comfortable in reopening the attraction Tuesday morning because of its track record of safety -- about 8.6 million guests have ridden it since 2003 -- and after the park's engineers found it to be operating normally. She said no independent inspection was necessary.

Disney said in a statement that the entire company and all of the employees were "saddened by this highly unusual event. Our first concern is for the family, and we are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time."

The family, including father Moses Bamuwamye, who works at the United Nations headquarters, released a statement through the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office: "We would like to thank all those in the Orlando area, as well as those back home for their outpouring of concern, prayer and support. We would ask that you continue to respect our privacy as we struggle with this heartbreaking and devastating loss."

News of the youngster's death stunned the family's neighbors in Sellersville, Pa., a community between Allentown and Philadelphia. "This is just shocking and sad," said Dorcas DeTurk. She said the family was "very close and loving," and Daudi and his sister, 8-year-old Ruthie, often played with DeTurk's children.

If the ride contributed to Daudi's death, doctors said the trouble could be with the lungs, heart or brain.

Dr. John Kuluz, an associate professor and expert in pediatric critical care and brain injuries at the University of Miami, said the mother's report of her son's rigidity suggests that the brain was a more likely suspect.

"That episode of being rigid makes it sound as if the brain was having increased pressure," said Kuluz, who does research in children's brain injuries.

He said different things could cause the stiffening, including a hemorrhage or bleeding in the brain that might be triggered by high G-forces and spinning. But, he added, it's unlikely that a healthy child suddenly would be stricken.

Pediatric cardiologists said various abnormalities can trigger sudden death. However, they said, serious problems usually make themselves known before age 4.

Overall, doctors said children's bodies are better able to deal with the physical stresses on intense amusement-park rides. They said they couldn't give blanket recommendations to parents.

"If anything, a kid can tolerate [rides] better than an adult," said Dr. Tom Carson, a Florida Hospital pediatric cardiologist. "But I guess the best advice is that if there is any family history of sudden death or fainting, those kids should be evaluated by a physician before going on a ride like that."

Most of the people riding Mission: Space Tuesday said they had not heard of the boy's death. Houston residents Steve Barnes and his wife, Hayley, said they allowed four of their five children to ride, all but the 3-year-old.

"I think we would have still taken the ride even if we knew beforehand about the child's death," Steve Barnes said. "I felt it was safe."

Chris Cobbs of the Sentinel staff and Pamela Lehman of The (Allentown, Pa.) Morning Call, a Tribune Publishing newspaper, contributed to this report. Jerry W. Jackson can be reached at jwjackson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5721. Henry Pierson Curtis can be reached at hcurtis@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5257. Robyn Shelton can be reached at rshelton@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5487.

TiggerificChick

MKCustodial said:
What really "sickens" me, as so many of you are fond of saying, are all those people apologizing for posting their opinions. This is a discussion board. You're supposed to give your opinions on matters. And to see people being bashed for sating what they think it's appalling. Now sorry if I'm gonna sound too cold or rude, but since apparently we cannot be heard unless we're crying for all involved or actually have children, I'll bee seeing ya.

Beautifully Said
Now can we all just get along?

rmforney

peter11435 said:
Of coarse it is. The ride is perfectly safe and there is nothing wrong with it. Anyone who tries to dispute that is foolish as the facts prove it to be true.

Not to ignore or make light of the passing of the little boy, but this is my thoughts exactly. To put it in perspective. between 7-8million people have ridden the ride and only 6 people have had any medical issues with it at all... I like those odds. I take my life in my hands every time I pull out of the driveway and I don't think I'm anywhere near as safe on the road than in WDW...

CNN is hammering this, this morning...

Jseven

rmforney said:
Not to ignore or make light of the passing of the little boy, but this is my thoughts exactly. To put it in perspective. between 7-8million people have ridden the ride and only 6 people have had any medical issues with it at all... I like those odds. I take my life in my hands every time I pull out of the driveway and I don't think I'm anywhere near as safe on the road than in WDW...

CNN is hammering this, this morning...

Its 8.6 million people who have ridden before this child. Furthermore, all 6 of the ones you mentioned were adults. This could have happened at Small World or at home. My thoughts exactly rmforney.

The death of a 4-year-old boy who lost consciousness on a Walt Disney World thrill ride Monday is still unexplained and has prompted a renewed call for federal monitoring of theme-park safety.

<!-- PARAGRAPH OBJECT --><!-- Type: photos --><!-- Id: 20050614113509990017 --><!-- Alignment/Wrap: center/ -->
<table class="highlight-news" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="20"> <tbody> <tr> <td width="10">
news_frame_object_top_left
</td> <td background="http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews/news_frame_object_top">
</td> <td width="10">
news_frame_object_top_right
</td></tr> <tr> <td background="http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews/news_frame_object_left" width="10">
</td> <td> <center>

Getty Images​

</center> Disney's "Mission: Space" simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars.

video_icon
Watch Broadband Video: Fun Ride Turns Deadly

Talk About It: Post | Chat
</td> <td background="http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews/news_frame_object_right" width="10">
</td></tr> <tr> <td width="10">
news_frame_object_bottom_left
</td> <td background="http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews/news_frame_object_bottom">
</td> <td width="10">
news_frame_object_bottom_right
</td></tr></tbody></table>​
<!-- /PARAGRAPH OBJECT --> An autopsy Tuesday on Daudi Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pa., "showed no signs of trauma and no obvious medical issues," says Jim Solomons of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The child was carried off the Mission: Space ride by his mother and pronounced dead at a hospital near the Orlando attraction. Further tests will be conducted to determine cause of death, Solomons says.

The $100 million ride simulates a space mission and is billed as offering "sensations similar to what astronauts feel." An inspection by the sheriff's office and Disney found "nothing broken," Solomons says. The ride reopened Tuesday.

"The death of this child is a perfect example of why the federal government should be able to investigate," says Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., author of a bill to close a loophole in U.S. law that exempts theme parks from federal oversight.

"The federal government regulates child seats in the back of automobiles ... but not amusement rides that approach G forces that astronauts are exposed to," he says.

State laws on inspection of theme-park rides vary. Fourteen require no inspections.

Though Florida does have state ride inspectors, Disney is exempt because it has more than 1,000 employees and a full-time safety program, says Rob Jacobs, chief of Florida's Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection. Disney does have to file a yearly affidavit that a ride is safe.

"If this had happened at one of Disney's California parks, by law Disney would be required to shut down the ride immediately," says Kathy Fackler of Saferparks, an advocacy group she formed after her son David lost part of his left foot in a roller coaster accident at Disneyland in 1998, when he was 5.

Operators "would not be allowed to reopen the ride until the state was confident" the ride was safe, Fackler says.

Since Mission: Space opened in 2003, seven riders - all but one of them 55 or older - reported problems such as nausea and chest pain. Before boarding, riders are warned about the ride's intensity and told to back out if they suffer from motion sickness or other conditions.

The ride is "fantastic, very realistic - but disconcerting," says Disney World visitor Bill Kalmar, 62, of Lake Orion, Mich.

Disney World's Jacquee Polak says 8.6 million visitors have ridden Mission: Space without incident. There is a 44-inch height requirement, which Daudi met.

In February, a 77-year-old woman with diabetes and other ailments died at Disney World after riding the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

<script language="javascript"> var tag= '
clear.gif
'; document.write(tag); // --></script>
clear.gif
<noscript>
clear.gif
</noscript>

06-15-05 07:39 EDT

That should better explain it..

ssidiouss@mac.c

Shanice said:
You act like this is some isolated incident. You seem to be overlooking the fact that people are getting sick on the ride on a daily basis and several people had to visit the emergency room because of the ride. When's the last time you saw someone have to go to the emergency room after a trip on PotC? Get real....

Umm.. first of all.. the people who went to the hospital were in 2003.. not 2004 or 2005.. so your daily basis comment is completely rediculous.

And I hate to breat the news to you.. but someone did die after going on PoTC.. look it up.

All in all the ride has had many millions of visitors and 1 death from unknown causes and you are out preaching that its a death trap. LOL :hammer:

What other death traps are in disney world in your mind? The Tommorow Land Transit Authority must be the equivilent to the nazi death camps in your mind.. I think a few people died on that one over the years. :lol:

KingStefan

Dr Albert Falls said:
To those who say "I'd never take a 4-year-old on Mission Space" ----

You're posting on a Disney message board. That means you are at least AWARE of what MS is, and have probabbly been on it (maybe numerous times).

Therefore, YOU are not qualified to make that statement.

Imagine you're visiting a theme park you've never been to -- "Six Flags Fantasy and Adventure Land"-- and they've got a new ride -- "Journey to Mars".
So.....WHAT DID THIS PARENT OF A 4-YEAR-OLD DO WRONG?????????

Of course, this is all assuming the parent of the MS victim had never been on Mission Space. Maybe she and her child HAD ridden it before. If that was the case, they obviously had no grave concerns--- they were back on it AGAIN. So what did the parent do wrong THEN?
Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!

Laura

Premium Member
wannabeBelle said:
OK just to throw this in there for people to comment on, every year someone hears about a tragedy that occurs on a football or a baseball field. A previously healthy kid who not only has a consent form completed by a parent (for arguments sake let's just assume the parent read the form prior to signing it OK??) and a physical examination performed by a doctor, goes down on the field during a practice or a game. The kid dies. Who is responsible here?? The parent who signed the form? The doctor who may not have caught a life threatening condition? The field where the incident took place? I submit that it may have been NONE OF THE ABOVE. In some cases there are freak accidents that occur and a human life is lost. Is it tragic? yes absolutely. It is preventable? I would say in some cases, no. In this child's case we certainly dont have all the facts yet and it may turn out to be something very much like that, just a horrible freak accident with a very sad ending. I was at Disney in 1998 when a guy died on Space Mountain. Word was that he stood up to get a better video of the ride. I dont think Space Mountain should be closed because one guy is an idiot!!! I am not 100% sure that idiocy played a part in the M:S case however. While I certainly do think this child's death is tragic and that M:S is certainly not for everyone, I dont believe the ride should be closed. I have been on MANY times will not one ill effect. Will I go on the next time I go?? Most likely unless I get sidetracked. Will I not go on for fear?? no absolutely not. Let us wait for a more conclusive statement from the Coroner and in the meantime pray for the little boy and his family who are going through so much suffering. Belle

THANK YOU! :sohappy: That is exactly what I've been trying to say, I'm just not as good with words!

Laura

Premium Member
DisneyMarg said:
-- Sometimes it's hard to tell fiction from fact. Disney routinely puts stories on the queue screens that are not true. They are there to enhance the experience.

EXACTLY!! For example - in the Test Track preshow when it shows that your car is going to do a head on crash. If everyone took that seriously then few people would ever want to ride. But then you expect them to go next door and take all the mission space warnings seriously. It's impossible to know what is a true warning and what is just there to exaggerate the ride unless you've ridden it.

And to whoever was criticizing Mission Space because people get sick on it everyday, PU-LEEZE! If I rode the tea cups it would take me about 8 hours to recover from it. But I can ride Mission Space without any side effects and in fact its one of my favorite rides. But I don't think they should close the tea cups down just because *I* would get sick on the ride and they should not close Mission Space just because *you* do not like the ride. There is no single ride at Disney that EVERYONE can ride and enjoy. People like different things. People can handle different things.

sleepybear

I've noticed a lot of media bashing in some of these posts, and now I must defend it, since I'm a member of the press.

The reason every media outlet is reporting this is because everyone goes to Disney World. From all around the world, people go there. People take their children there. So if a child dies on one of the rides, no matter how it happened, it is news. We're not trying to sensationalize it and we're not trying to criticize Disney. We're saying there is a ride that has caused sickness and health problems before, and now someone has died after riding it. The stories I've read seem to have gone out of their way to imply that it wasn't Disney's fault. They've mentioned how he met the height requirement, how the ride was functioning properly. They're being fair here, folks.

imagineer99

Laura22 said:
EXACTLY!! For example - in the Test Track preshow when it shows that your car is going to do a head on crash. If everyone took that seriously then few people would ever want to ride. But then you expect them to go next door and take all the mission space warnings seriously. It's impossible to know what is a true warning and what is just there to exaggerate the ride unless you've ridden it.

I see your point, but I don't necessarily think that's a fair comparison.

M:S is one of the few Disney rides that never attempts to hide what it truly is. Beyond the numerous printed warnings, the queue actually contains rendered video clips of the ride system in motion on monitors that work in conjunction with frequent audio warnings. To top it off, they show the ride pod outside the attraction.

This is not to say that people can't still be confused (there's bound to be someone who just doesn't get it). However, my point is, Disney has covered all angles with M:S. There is very little smoke and mirrors going on there.

Heck, people on this very site have complained about the attraction's stagnant and sterile showmanship. I remeber how people didn't like that when boarding your pods you actually see the centrifuge. To me this isn't bad show, it's Disney reinforcing yet again what you're getting in to.

In short, to add the many interesting points made so far (and probably best put by Belle), it really is hard to place blame on anybody. As humans we often feel an innate need to place the onus on something following a tragic event--anything that will help us rationalize what has happened. In the case of this death, it seems that "finger-pointing" is an impossibility.

Sometimes life doesn't play fair. In this circumstance, life broke all the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom