Mission: Space tragedy

sleepybear

coasterphil said:
Its sad to see how many of you turn into almost heartless ________________ when something goes wrong at Disney. I personally can't imagine what the family is feeling right now. I don't think we really need to start passing blame, as none of us know the whole story. Until we do, I just think you should keep the family in your thoughts or prayers instead of blaming them for trying to ruin Disney for you.

Well said!

retroeric

Is anyone a little surprised how quickly they released the name of the boy to the public? We're talking a matter of hours. I would think that the family would ask that to remain private so they can communicate with family members first.

Shaman

Always_Disney said:
I think this has hit the media pretty hard. The Drudge Report just posted a link as well...

www.drudgereport.com

here's the CNN link...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/14/disney.death.ap/index.html

here's the Fox News link...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159501,00.html

Safe to say it is ALL over the media. It's an unfortunate event, and any business that caters to millions of people will, unfortunately, have events like this. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who were effected.

Its mostly the same AP story everywhere...the media hasn't made a big deal out of this just yet...the story is picking up some steam though...

OmegaKnight

Original Poster
retroeric said:
Is anyone a little surprised how quickly they released the name of the boy to the public? We're talking a matter of hours. I would think that the family would ask that to remain private so they can communicate with family members first.
This happened almost 24 hours ago.

Dayma

WDWGuide said:
"how many hundreds of thousands of people have ridden M:S and other "thrill rides" with no problems? the media love a response such as the above because they get better ratings when people don't think for themselves."

It does reflect poorly on Disney if it comes across like one of their attractions killed a healthy kid, especially because people have unrealistic expectations about Disney and the safety of their rides to begin with. There is an attitude of "if it's Disney, it MUST be safe" out there... who knows what those sort of people make out of a story like that.

What makes this case different from most past incidents is that there does not appear to be (based on what little has been reported) any obvious negligence by Disney or the victim. It sounds like the ride was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. If confirmed, (in either case, really) it'll be very interesting to see what comes of this.

Disney will be negligent if they can prove that there is a higher than average occurances of people going to the hospital......among other reasons. Just because there are signs does not get Disney off the blame list.

The_CEO

barnum42 said:
I don't want to start a bitter slagging match, but you don't find the death of a child horrible?

Considering one person stated he just fainted.. That isn't, but now that I learned he died, is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Laura22 said:
I'm very disappointed to see everyone pointing fingers at this mother saying how she lacks common sense and such. This poor family needs support and prayers, and to be blaming them and judging them when they just lost their little boy is cruel.
Knowing what we know I would say you are absolutely correct. If her son had no pre-existing medical conditions and met the height requirement there was no reason why her son could not ride. My 4 year old is a serious dare devil and would love M:S and when she reaches the height requirement I'll let her ride. However as more facts become available there might be an element of blame to follow. If this child did have a medical condition that was known to the parents I can see were they will and should shoulder some of the blame. Chances are, like most have suggested, this will just be an incredibly unfortunate combination of circumstances that no one could have foreseen.

retroeric

OmegaKnight said:
This happened almost 24 hours ago.

The boy died at 5:00pm and the news hit this morning around 9:00am. Not "almost 24 hours". I wish they had waited longer.

WDW still hasn't released the name of the boy, but I guess the news media got it some other way.

Disney_Belle

I just read about the boy on aol news and on msnbc they have released his name. its a very unfortunate event and my heart and prayers go out to everyone who has been effected by this. :(

chancellor

I hope nothing I posted led anyone to believe I was pointing fingers or blaming anyone for this. I agree that this is a horrible tragedy no matter who, if anybody, is at fault. I cannot imagine what this family is going through, as I mentioned, I have small kids myself.

That said, this is a Disney World discussion forum, and I see nothing wrong with discussing why this accident happened or what the ramifications of it might be. I don't think that makes any of us heartless.

Youvegotafriend

This is terrible-

Here is the story-how tragic-it does sound like a pre-existing condition.
But I certainly wouldn't let a 4 year old on MS. Am I the only one who thinks
that way?

4-Year-Old Dies After Going On Disney World Ride

<TEXT id=txt_posted>POSTED:</TEXT> 10:26 am EDT June 14, 2005

<!--startindex-->LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Florida authorities are investigating after a 4-year old boy passed out on a ride at Walt Disney World and later died.

The ride uses a multi-arm centrifuge to simulate a force twice the strength of normal gravity. It has caused previous concerns about its intensity.

An autopsy is expected Tuesday for Daudi Bamuwamye. The Pennsylvania boy passed out after riding the "Mission: Space" attraction at Epcot with his mother and sister. Paramedics tried to revive the youngster after his mother carried him off the ride but he later died. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The ride was closed after the death. Detectives have confirmed the boy met minimum height requirements for the ride.

Last year, the ride logged the most hospital visits of any in Florida since major theme parks agreed to begin reporting serious injuries to the state in 2001.

<!--stopindex-->
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

TheOneVader

tigsmom said:
I she still around? I remember when her show was shown here... marketed to kids, but not very kid friendly. :lookaroun

That reminded me of when the Simpsons's went to Brazil, and Bart was watching Teleboobies..

daveemtdave

The family may have released the name.

The family is going through a lot right now. I hope they have a good support team at home to go home to. I can not BELIEVE ANY PARENT would intentionally be willing to let their child go on any ride, they thought their child could not handle no matter how much they whin.

My oldest is a roller coaster=a=holic----and she would not go on MS when we were down there.

We can not and SHOULD NOT JUDGE THIS PARENT.

Kwit35

I was so sad to read all this. What a terrible thing for that poor family to go through. I also feel bad for the CM's working at the time. This is something you just don't get over.

WDWnahtazu

Wow. Thats sad. But what the heck was up with the way the OP presented the story? IF its true then I think its pretty disgusting how the OP tried to treat the story like some sort of movie spoiler. "I cant tell you the ending, you gotta watch the movie." and "Highlight text for the spoilers". Its pretty callous.

Anyway, it looks like a pre-existing condition that caused it if this story is true. But as outsiders then i guess we'll never know. Don't stories like this usually get buried under piles of money paid to the families?

OmegaKnight

Original Poster
WDWnahtazu said:
Wow. Thats sad. But what the heck was up with the way the OP presented the story? IF its true then I think its pretty disgusting how the OP tried to treat the story like some sort of movie spoiler. "I cant tell you the ending, you gotta watch the movie." and "Highlight text for the spoilers". Its pretty callous.

Anyway, it looks like a pre-existing condition that caused it if this story is true. But as outsiders then i guess we'll never know. Don't stories like this usually get buried under piles of money paid to the families?
I was trying not to say anything out of respect for the situation but I do apologize if anyone got upset over how I originally posted the thread. It was intended to be a more of a heads-up kind of thing but it didn't turn out that way.

cru5h

Youvegotafriend said:
But I certainly wouldn't let a 4 year old on MS. Am I the only one who thinks
that way?

No, I wouldn't have brought a 4 year old there. I've been on it. It didn't make me sick or cause me to feel faint, but it was intense for me from the pressure and realizing it was a sit-down Gravitron ride (one of my least favorites at the fair).

I don't think I would have bored my 4 year old with a day at Epcot, but maybe the sister was older and it was more her cup o' tea than his. While many adults and older kids may love Epcot, it's truly not on the top list of exciting themeparks for the little ones. Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom, yes.

I have a feeling it was preexisting as well. If no old people have died on it yet, only got sick and had their hearts racing a bit, it makes me think that there was something going on before hand. It's possible the mother wasn't aware of his condition though either. Terribly sad.

Grim Grinner

The first time I rode Mission: Space, I walked away leaning to one side- and that was it. But then again, I love thrill rides- even to the point where my mom would take my toddler self to a nearby theme park so I could get lulled to sleep on various rides (Octopus was the best).

On subsequent trips I became a little more daring for M:S. I leaned forward, looked at my wife... I even drank 6 cups of Beverly before riding. No ill effects outside that initial run.

One thing Disney SHOULD change in M:S is the headrest. Extend it further around your head so you have a less likely desire to look at the people next to you. This alone would prevent many of the problems.

Last time I was on it, I saw a lady puking into a bag. A castmember who handed it to her asked what happened. She wiped her mouth and replied that she wanted to see what her husband thought of the ride. Bad move...

The instructions MUST be emphasized. If you cannot understand them, than you should not be riding. People chatting during the instructions should be personally warned- or not allowed to ride.

M:S is a very precision ride and the rules are a little bit more complex. Few would dare to forget to clasp a seatbelt on a rollercoaster- but the unfamiliar nature of this ride makes certain people throw logic out the window.

I love the ride. My wife tolerates it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom