Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Mission: SPACE

Re: Alien Encounter in Ca.

Originally posted by wolf359
According to "The Nickel Tour" the Mission to Mars building at DL was too small to hold AE but since WDW's building was bigger they simply moved the show's destination to Florida.

Mission to Mars at DL was turned into a pizza place and the old Carousel theater was turned into Innoventions.

Thanks for clarifying the part about Innoventions...

but I'm pretty sure it was planned for Disneyland origionally... They say that in the Imagineering book, and even have concept art for it (which I may mention is a much nicer facade than that of our AE... it fit in w/ DL's Tomorrowland as opposed to ours, though).

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Innoventions was actually planned for Tommorowland 2055 also. It was though going to be themed as a giant UFO and be like an alien trade show...

And if you look at DL's AE concept art you could see that the whole building would have to be rebuilt.

pppapazo

Re: Re: Re: Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Well, he does provide good info on past events and plans and ideas that never made it to the parks, but his rumors are almost always wrong.

Well, almost every rumor is almost always wrong. Even Disney doesn't build half the stuff it officially announces. Remember Mickey's Movieland, Roger Rabbit's Toontown, and D i c k Tracy's Crimestoppers at MGM? Remember Beastly Kingdom and Tiger Rapids Run? Remember Switzerland and Russia and Equatorial Africa? All officially announced in some way by Disney and never built.

My problem with rumormongers is the way they proclaim with certainty what's coming. That's not unique to Jim Hill. It's all over these boards, too.

My problem with Jim Hill's "journalsim", at least recently, is his bait and switch. Within the last month, he's published two VERY one-sided stories which negatively portray Disney, only to follow up with an "I guess there may be other viewpoints" post when he gets lots of contrary stories from readers. That's not good journalism. That's propaganda.

I do like some of his stuff on stuff that never made the parks, though, but I always take it with a grain of salt.

Peter

Horizons1

I dont mean to thread drift here but i think as cool as M:S is,there should only be one.I notice this is becoming a trend lately with Disney where they build one great attraction at one park and then duplicate it at the other parks.Now i can understand having duplicates of the classics like IASW,HM, and POTC,heck ill even let the Pooh ride slide but constantly building TOTs everywhere is a little annoying.And as for Soarin,im glad The Land is getting an attraction that will bring lines but im dissapointed with the fact that it wont even be a new film.Itll just be the Soarin over California film.The stunt show,theres another duplicate and heck their not even planning on changing the name.and im sure theres some others out there im forgetting but my point is that with all the duplicates why bother going to any of the other Disneys,your gonna get the same rides and that takes away the originality each park had.I think the duplicates are really starting to take away from the differences of each park.So i believe that M:S at EPCOT should be the one and only.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by tomm4004

Does anyone have any solid evidence that M:S is going into Tokyo? People keep posting yes or no but nobody posts any evidence to support their claims. It's funny that people criticize Jim Hill then make statements without any proof.

Yes, have a look at the court papers filed by ETC and Disney. A number of the points relate to Mission Space at Tokyo, and how Disney have contracted a Japanese company to build the centrifgue rather than ETC.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
But, I read in his article that both DisneyWorld's AE and Disneyland's were planned at the same time. WDW's was supposed to open a few years before Disneyland's (DL's AE building was one of the coolest concept arts I have ever seen).

Hey I remember seeing the DL concept art in the Disney Magazine a long time ago. Does anyone have this online? I'd love to see it again. It's TOTALLY different from what we had at WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I know this is off topic, but I'm extremely interested in learning about planned but unbuilt epcot pavillions such as the original space and others, so if you could please share whatever you know or where you got it from, I would be most greatful.

Ok... I will start a new thread in WDW Parks General Discussion. Remember - its not all concrete (no pun intended) but I do try to verify things.

Lee

Adventurer
Re: Re: Alien Encounter in Ca.

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
but I'm pretty sure it was planned for Disneyland origionally...

Yep.
It was a part of "Tomorrowland 2055" as early as 1989, and was intended to be the next big collaboration beween Disney and George Lucas.
2055 got scrapped, so did AE at Disneyland.
AE next popped up as part of New Tomorrowland at MK.
It was briefly part of the New Tomorrowland ("Imagination and Beyond") at Disneyland but, as lead Imagineer Bruce Gordon says, "By the time we got done designing it, we realized that
the theater was too small to hold enough guests to reach the capacity we needed. The theatre in Florida is much larger than the one at Disneyland, so it could hold all the effects and the guests!"

So there you go...

imagineer boy

Re: Re: Re: Alien Encounter in Ca.

Originally posted by Lee
Yep.
It was a part of "Tomorrowland 2055" as early as 1989, and was intended to be the next big collaboration beween Disney and George Lucas.
2055 got scrapped, so did AE at Disneyland.
AE next popped up as part of New Tomorrowland at MK.
It was briefly part of the New Tomorrowland ("Imagination and Beyond") at Disneyland but, as lead Imagineer Bruce Gordon says, "By the time we got done designing it, we realized that
the theater was too small to hold enough guests to reach the capacity we needed. The theatre in Florida is much larger than the one at Disneyland, so it could hold all the effects and the guests!"

So there you go...

I think he was talking about putting AE in the old Mission to Mars building. If they had put it in the Circle Vision theater, it would have had plenty of space, even more!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Originally posted by martinthesparta
I know this is off topic, but I'm extremely interested in learning about planned but unbuilt epcot pavillions such as the original space and others, so if you could please share whatever you know or where you got it from, I would be most greatful.

Just Finished typing. Look in:

Walt Disney World > Walt Disney World General Discussion > Unbuilt EPCOT Center Pavilions.

New finger please!

CrackerJack

I have very bad motion sickness and was very anxious about trying Mission Space last September. My wife and I popped a couple Dramamine about an hour before going on the ride. We had absolutely no problem and felt fine the rest of the day.

Would I chow down on a bunch of greasy, junk food before doing the ride? Of course not. But I don't think it is bad, if you take proper precautions. The ride is definitely fun and worth doing.

If you struggle with motion sickness, take Dramamine before doing the ride.

Keep your head facing forward.

Remember to breathe. They are blowing nice, cool air on you during the ride.

Now, if you're claustraphobic ... :veryconfu

disneyman23

i rode Mission space 4 times in one day, and didnt have a problem at all with the motion sickness stuff, mind you i understand that people react differently, but i really think its an overrated problem. if you listen to the CM and do what they say about not closing your eyes and remembering to breath you should be fine.

i just dont get why all these thrill junkies are having such problems with the ride, they go on all these loopy roller coasters but cant handle this, come on folks its a thrill ride !

and it better not get the fate of Alien Encounter, that would be horrible considering the fact that it was so expensive

just my two cents

Lee

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Alien Encounter in Ca.

Originally posted by imagineer boy
I think he was talking about putting AE in the old Mission to Mars building. If they had put it in the Circle Vision theater, it would have had plenty of space, even more!

Putting it in the Circle Vision building would have been counterproductive.
The whole point of the design of AE was to use the two circular theatres from Mission to Mars. That would remove the need to do massive restructuring to the building.
That, and they needed the Circle Vision building for Rocket Rods.

tomm4004

i just dont get why all these thrill junkies are having such problems with the ride, they go on all these loopy roller coasters but cant handle this, come on folks its a thrill ride !
I have problems watching an LCD computer monitor - queasy, headache, eye strain. With M:S it's the LCD screen that gets me - not the sim motions.

CSOM

Originally posted by GIR
the mission space effect is almost the same as laying on your back, that's what I say to the people too scared to go on. If you can handle laying on your back, you can handle mission space.

You have to be able to see the screen the way it was meant to be seen. If you turn your head, you feel ill. In the same way, if you are taller than the average height, the screen looks distorted because you are looking down at it, and that doesn't match with the motions exactly, and I ended up feeling ill coming out of this ride. That is something that can't be fixed easily.

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Oh, I have a question. During testing, each fuge ran at a different G-forces but now they are all the same. But if it is not as strong as the strongest one was, do you think the intensity of the ride will increase?

disneyman23

its interesting that people have more problem watching the monitor than they do with the actual motion of it, i guess that explains why it could give people who normally are fine problems

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
Oh, I have a question. During testing, each fuge ran at a different G-forces but now they are all the same. But if it is not as strong as the strongest one was, do you think the intensity of the ride will increase?

They all ran at the same G level during testing at WDW. The G levels were set a long time before the ride bays were installed at WDW. They did test different forces on the prototype ride system of course.

I think it is very unlikely the G force will change int he future. It took a lot of testing and research to set the current levels, and I cannot see all of that work being thrown out of the window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom