Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

imagineersrock

I'm sure M:S will be around for a long time to come. I went on a trip recently [9 of us] only 1 out of the 9 was somewhat nauseated by the experience.

I'm sure 1 out of 9 guests get a little disoriented or nauseated by RnRC, ToT, or similar 'intense' rides. M:S is by no means the sickness epidemic that Jim Hill makes it out to be.

If anything will change in the next few years, I think we will get new videos -which would mean new ride sequences. [much the way ToT gets an update every few years.]

:cool:

BuzzedLightyear

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
Yeah... how would the Paris one fit in? Theme it to Armageddon? Theme it to Mission to Mars?

This is a financial stretch, but I think that the preshow should have been armageddon from DLP. The moment you walk through the door you should feel like you are on a space station orbiting the earth. When meteors hit, you all rush to, and board evacuation pods (MS), these pods would then land on mars, or the meteor. Once here you could explore or board the armadillo EMV attraction. Thus you make use of a great effects show. Due to its location that show is now massively repeatable because it serves as the gatekeeper to 2 Eticket rides.

GIR

Account Suspended
the mission space effect is almost the same as laying on your back, that's what I say to the people too scared to go on. If you can handle laying on your back, you can handle mission space.

All4Gemini

Well room probably can be made easily though I have never been to Disneyland. CoP building is dead, Circlevision building is dead, Star Tours is old, Pizzaport's building could be used and I am sure there is more room behind the berm.

CoP is now Innoventions from Epcot, Star Tours still draws a pretty good crowd, but all the buildings used for the Rocket Rods queue-basically the whole left side of Tomorrowland-could be used for it. I'm not sure if there is as much space as the pavilion in Epcot, but it would be much better than those buildings just sitting there empty...

iluvstitch

But the sickness must be cured.... because I fear that this ride will only exist for a few years before becoming something else...

I think this drama about how people are getting sick on MS is so over-hyped by the media. People puke ALL the time on roller coasters at Six Flags- can you imagine them saying "Oh lets get rid of the Superman coaster b/c it makes some people get sick." Yeah, right, that would never happen. -Stephanie

Mission: SPACE

First of all, Jim Hill has not been the most reliable source for info. I think you'll find that most people on this board despise the guy...

Second, if plans have been stopped from cloning SPACE at other parks, the ETC law suit situation has a lot to do with it. Disney was partially wrong in forbidding ETC from coming in and tweaking the attraction. Let's just say that SPACE had some significant problems once opening... They couldn't even stabilize the operating system, and they couldn't ask the ride designers what to do since they were having legal issues with ETC. If I remember right, there was some type of stipulation which kept a ride system of the same design from being recreated without consent of both parties. Check ETC's web site... They've now designed a system they call MAC which is the same concept as M:S, but with modifications that make it superior. With the current situation between Disney and ETC, it's hard to tell what any clones of M:S will be like. Personally, I disagree with clones. I wanted to go to Disneyland because of it's difference from WDW, but now with Soarin' coming here, that's one less reason to go out there. The same goes for Cali residents who want to come here for our unique, origional rides (ToT...).

I don't see M:S being replaced in eight years, but I do see it having many revisions, like Tower. The system allows for future modifications, although I wouldn't expet anything as drastic as the AE-Stitch refurb.

Just FYI, AE was origionally planned for Disneyland; there were no plans (origionally) for AE to ever be in Florida. But, for some reason I cannot remember, Imagineering decided to place it on this coast, and Disneyland got Innoventions instead (I think).

Not as many people get sick on this ride as others let on. Yes, it is intense, and yes, people do get sick, but it's by far no where near the immense amount many make it out to be.

As far as additions to the post show... I don't see it happening anytime within the next 5 years or so, if ever. I personally like your idea, although to enact it M:S would most likely have to go down for a few months. I was so disappointed by the exit hallway of that ride. Not only is it long, but it's so plain. No theming, no nothing (well, we did get blue trim :rolleyes: ) I was hoping that it was only a temporary thing, but at this point it's obvious it's here to stay, at least for a while. I guess those Imagineers overbudgeted. The queue is so origional and futuristic. The last impression of the ride should be just as impressive as the first, of that amazing facade to the futuristic queue.

Sorry for my long semi-thread drift...

testtracker

About the re-ride issue on mission space, I honestly would much rather ride AE more than once a trip than M:S. M:S is the kind of ride I might ride every 2-3 trips. Just whatching the same video and ride motions doesn't seem appealing to me.

tomm4004

I rode M:S a couple weeks ago. I rode twice in a row one moring and felt alright, but for the rest of the day I felt "off," and queasy. And back in the room I freaked out when I noticed the veins in my temples were bulging out. It scared the heck out of me. I felt okay the next day. A week later at the end of the trip I decided to try it one more time figuring if I suffered any ill effects at least my trip was over. I felt fine. Oddly, I'd eaten that last time whereas the first time I hadn't. Maybe a full stomach helps!

Does anyone have any solid evidence that M:S is going into Tokyo? People keep posting yes or no but nobody posts any evidence to support their claims. It's funny that people criticize Jim Hill then make statements without any proof.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by testtracker
About the re-ride issue on mission space, I honestly would much rather ride AE more than once a trip than M:S.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the boards! Keep up the wonderful posts (exactly like this one) :animwink:

Seriously though I honestly believe that M:S does have alot of re-rideablility. The only thing I hate is having to watch the two preshows over and over (Don't get me wrong those are two of the best WDW has come up with. It can just get old after about 10 rides in a row). Do I like M:S better than ToT, Splash or Spider Man? No. Do I think it is right up there with them though? Yes.
Remember M:S has yet to go through a full summer season. It feels like it's been around for about 4 or 5 years!

wolf359

Alien Encounter in Ca.

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
Just FYI, AE was origionally planned for Disneyland; there were no plans (originally) for AE to ever be in Florida. But, for some reason I cannot remember, Imagineering decided to place it on this coast, and Disneyland got Innoventions instead (I think).
[/B]

According to "The Nickel Tour" the Mission to Mars building at DL was too small to hold AE but since WDW's building was bigger they simply moved the show's destination to Florida.

Mission to Mars at DL was turned into a pizza place and the old Carousel theater was turned into Innoventions.

imagineer boy

Re: Re: Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
First of all, Jim Hill has not been the most reliable source for info. I think you'll find that most people on this board despise the guy...

Well, he does provide good info on past events and plans and ideas that never made it to the parks, but his rumors are almost always wrong.

andre85

Re: Re: Re: Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Well, he does provide good info on past events and plans and ideas that never made it to the parks, but his rumors are almost always wrong.

There’s no way to validate anything he says, and going off of his rumor consistency, I have trouble believing anything that comes out of his mouth.

Re: Re: Mission Space to suffer the same fate as AE?

Originally posted by marni1971
In the Original Space Pavillion plans, what exists now would only have been a pre show. They were really going to use all that land available - maybe incorporating the Horizons building into the design... this was a long time ago (See the concept art in some of the photo album) but once actually in orbit at Mars (not training to go to Mars) you would be in a Space Station literally looking down on the Red Planet. The main attraction was planned around a Zero-G spacewalk, but considering how much what we got cost (anyone have an exact figure - I`ve heard $150-200 million) its surprising we didn`t just get Star Tours/Body Wars motion bases!

I know this is off topic, but I'm extremely interested in learning about planned but unbuilt epcot pavillions such as the original space and others, so if you could please share whatever you know or where you got it from, I would be most greatful.

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
Well thanks to you guys, I removed Jimm Hill from my bookmarks...

But, I read in his article that both DisneyWorld's AE and Disneyland's were planned at the same time. WDW's was supposed to open a few years before Disneyland's (DL's AE building was one of the coolest concept arts I have ever seen).

And of course, Disneyland's was for Tommorowland 2055...

Now also, according to the article, the DL version was phased out permanently due to the number of complaints about the WDW version....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom