Mission Space to be shut down!?

CuteDisneyBaby

Originally posted by bgraham34
I doubt they would close this. I am not a big fan of motion sims, they tend to make me sick because the motion is timed perfect for me. Like Star Tours makes me sick. and those damn fake one you find in the malls as well. But I will give it a shot.

Dont hate me for this....But isnt THIS the kinda people all of you are talking about? knowing it will make you sick but you will try it anyway, despite the signs. i'm sure everyone feels the way he does. Wanting to try it for themselves. Again, dont hate me, just making a point.

testtracker

Not another AE type shutdown. What are they gonna have to do to warn people that is a an "intense ride"? I have seen people feel a little weary, but they ended up loving it and ready for another go.

SusanAnne

My daughter who is 11 years old, rode it twice, liked it but said it was not that intense, she would have preferred more.

STGRhost

I truly dislike ingorant people who cannot read the warnings or assume they can handle it. You're putting yourself at risk when going on something that REPEATEDLY warns you not to go and - thus - should prepare for the consequences.

i am sorry but this is rediculous to hear closing it down b/c of people getting sick. people wouldn't get sick if they weren't idiots enough to eat right before they get on the ride. beyond that if they listen to the rules and read the warning signs that tell you not to ride if....

Okay. I am in no way advocating that M:S should be changed (and there's no official word that it will), but some of you need to calm down.

I have ~never~ been motion sick before, and I LOVE thrill rides. I had heard before I went to WDW about a small number of people being sick after riding, but I wasn't worried. I ate that morning, but it had been a few hours (on purpose). I don't know if it was the anticipation, all the warnings, or the ride ittself, but by the time I got off, I was sick to my stomach, dizzy, and had a headache (And, as odd as it seems, dissapointed - I thought the "show" could have been better, as aside from the sensation, I thought it was pretty boring.)

I'm in my 20s, and healthy, so I don't think it's fair to assume that EVERYONE who is ill after riding is "ignorant" or not paying attention or whatever. M:S is a different sort of ride than most people are used to, so for some people (like me) it comes as a surprise when they have a bad reaction to it. I won't ride on it again. But I didn't run to Guest Relations when I got off, and I'm not petitioning Disney to raze the building or anything like that. I think Disney does a good job of warning people, but with technology this new, how can most people really know how it's going to turn out?
I just wanted to point out that some of you are generalizing in a way that isn't fair.

wcox377492

I think it's been said best right after this thread started, Disney has invested far too much (not to mention still having a corporate sponsor) in MS to close it. Change it like after space mountain opened to be more "friendly" very likely, but close it, highly doubtful.

KaliSplash

Frankly, all the repeated warnings were beginning to worry me as we waited for our ride during the June test period. I was especially worried about my wife, who hasn't forgiven me for talking her onto the Tower of Terror by telling her it was smooth. (I meant it didn't slam down, so there was no chance she would hurt her back. She, on the other hand, was not thrilled by the drop itself.)
Anyway, I was beginning to be a little concerned. When we finally got on board and lifted off, it was FANTASTIC!!
But because of all the warnings and because it was so different and intense, I actually had each of my crew members (wife and two sons) report in verbally to me during the liftoff phase, so I could make sure they weren't passing out. And the very act of individually questioning everyone added to the realism of our experience, I thought.
Can't wait to get back in late July.

nfeagle5

There is no way they would permanantly disable the ride, it would also be horrible if they had to cater to the needs of the few rather than the majority (vast majority) by toning it down, people....there are signs, read em and move on, or read em and back out....2 choices pick one and dont complain:king:

corran horn

I liked it a lot better before they officially opened it. I don't know if they were still working out what actual guests can physically take or what but it was a LOT more intense than it is now.

It's still awesome though. :D

kadiehl

signs signs all around

I really do not think there would be an issue if people would PAY ATTENTION to the warning signs. When I read them I was like OK..hunny, I will be warming that bench over there with **** (our son). See you when you get off....Does not take a rocket scientist to know what your body can handle, and what it can not. :brick:

Bill

Account Suspended
They should remove all of the warning signs from the individual rides... just have you sign a waiver as you buy your ticket.

Scooter

Not everyone reacts the same to a centrifuge.

Even some astronauts get sick while riding them in training.
Heck they get sick on REAL space missions.

My point is this...This has nothing to do with reading or not reading a bunch of warning signs. You can be a perfectly healthy adult who has never experianced motion sickness and STILL have a bad reaction on a centrifuge.

It's a chance you take.

I choose not to take that chance. There are too many other rides at WDW that I know won't affect me adversely that I can and do ride.

Calling people ignorant or idiots who get sick is just wrong.
They have no control over how they are going to react during and after this ride until they try it.

I for one KNOW I won't be gertting sick on Mission Space...
..because I'm not going on it. :lol:

dxwwf3

Originally posted by Scooter
Calling people ignorant or idiots who get sick is just wrong.
They have no control over how they are going to react during and after this ride until they try it.

You are exactly right. They are not idiots just because they get sick. HOWEVER they ARE idiots if they complain about getting sick afterwards. Sure nobody is happy about feeling bad but you were warned.

My dad didn't feel too good after riding it (and he'll probably never ride it again), but he also knew that there was a chance he would feel bad afterwards. He just wanted to ride it. He got a little sick and weak afterwards but there is no way he would've complained because he knew he was taking a chance.

Bill

Account Suspended
I say, if you're in good health condition, try it once. It's not like you're gonna have to do it again, and the feeling only lasts for about 2 hours after you ride if you do manage to get sick.

soccer9miahamm

I agree with so many of the people that have posted here. They warn you at every turn. There are signs and this lady reading it off for those who can't do it themselves. Don't blame Disney if you decide to risk your health.

Testtrack321

The only reasons I think they are idots because they had prior health, no not just health, but HEART conditions. That's where the problem is. They ignored the warnings. If I got sick on M:S, I'm not an idiot, but if I had heart bypass surgery and have high cholesterol, then I'd be an idiot.

PhotoDave219

I think its pretty clear that the only reason that this is a story is because the word "Disney" is involved. Clearly, Six Flags can send as manyt of its guests to the morgue and it's a one-day/page-three story. Disney guests get ill because theyre prone to motion sickness (and illiteracy) and its a huge deal.

Puh-leeeezzzz.

DIsney isnt going to shut the ride down, isnt going to lesen the intensity, isnt going to do squat as long as people are continuing to enjoy the ride. Its not like we don't survey the guests to figure out what theyre thinking.... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and lets do some quick math. Lets say these 6 people are over the past 6 months, roughly 180 days. Thats 180 x attendance of ... lets be conservative and say 20,000 per day. Thats 3,600,000 roughly in the parks during that time period. Conservativly. 6 / 3.6 million is...... A really small percentage. SIX out of 3 MILLION. Yeah.... theres a story. :rolleyes:

Disney2002

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
I think its pretty clear that the only reason that this is a story is because the word "Disney" is involved. Clearly, Six Flags can send as manyt of its guests to the morgue and it's a one-day/page-three story. Disney guests get ill because theyre prone to motion sickness (and illiteracy) and its a huge deal.

Puh-leeeezzzz.

DIsney isnt going to shut the ride down, isnt going to lesen the intensity, isnt going to do squat as long as people are continuing to enjoy the ride. Its not like we don't survey the guests to figure out what theyre thinking.... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and lets do some quick math. Lets say these 6 people are over the past 6 months, roughly 180 days. Thats 180 x attendance of ... lets be conservative and say 20,000 per day. Thats 3,600,000 roughly in the parks during that time period. Conservativly. 6 / 3.6 million is...... A really small percentage. SIX out of 3 MILLION. Yeah.... theres a story. :rolleyes:

True, it's a small percent... but percentages cannot be evaluated the same across all groupings.

If I said that there was a 1% chance that you would die on the ride, you would say that is very high. Similarly, if I said you had a 1% chance of becoming president, you would say that was high. However, if I you have a 1% chance of getting an 'A' on a test, you would say that is low. You have to measure probability and frequency against expectation.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Disney2002
True, it's a small percent... but percentages cannot be evaluated the same across all groupings.

If I said that there was a 1% chance that you would die on the ride, you would say that is very high. Similarly, if I said you had a 1% chance of becoming president, you would say that was high. However, if I you have a 1% chance of getting an 'A' on a test, you would say that is low. You have to measure probability and frequency against expectation.

And I would expect that out of 3 million+ riders in the last 6 months, 6 of the countless guests who rode Mission: SPACE despite warnings that apply to them telling them not to ride (heart condition, pregnant, weak stomach, etc), would get sick. Try out a Paramount theme park. I've seen more than 6 people come of roller coasters at Paramount Canada's Wonderland in stretchers on a single day, and that doesn't even make the news. This is getting almost as much press as the Big Thunder crash at Disneyland last fall, and it is by NO MEANS that calibre of incident...not even 1/100th of that. This is more about the stupidity of guests at Disney World than anything else, and for all of us who have spent any significant amount of time around the Walt Disney World Resort, there is no shortage of stupid people.

diddy_mouse

i think the whole M:S thing is a lot of overeacting. when it comes to rides, you and *only* you can know your tolerance level.

if you have a heart condition or somethign like that but want to give it a try, you're an idiot. :hammer:

this is similar to parents taking their kids onto a ride that is obviously way too intense for them. and then the parents complain afterwards that the ride scared their kids. :brick: :brick: :brick:

the bottom line is...if the ride looks iffy to you...let is pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom