Mission Space to be shut down!?

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Oh god I just heard on my local radio station that Disney is thinking about shutting down M:S because of all the people complaining and getting sick! Please say this isn't true! I haven't even gotten to ride it yet! :cry:

cherrynegra

Now, now. Let's not panic. We have plenty resident experts here who are in the know and they will either confirm or deny your story. Let's see what they say.

Bill

Account Suspended
Your radio station is crap. Don't listen to them anymore. LOL

Even if Disney did close Mission: SPACE, it wouldn't be forever. They would just make it "less intense."

Piebald

They'd be out of their minds if they made this ride "less intense". There are so many attractions at Epcot for EVERYONE and they put one ride in the entire park that attracts thrill seekers and now they think of making it less intense (I know it isn't closing, this is hypothetical) ?

Come on folks there are signs everywhere. EVEN THE GUY IN THE PRESHOW (Gary Siniese I think) tells you if youre a chicken then this is your last chance to abort mission. I've never seen that before. Steven Tyler doesn't say "hey guys if youre a wuss and can't take the 60 mph launch, exit the recording studio. Maybe I haven't noticed this, but besides signs, I've never seen an attraction preshow be ruined by that.

I rode it twice on my last visit and although yes it is very realistic and not for everyone, just cause a few people get a little sick doesn't mean they should change the ride. I'm sure no one has been in dire need of medical attention. Didn't a little girl die after getting off of Kumba (busch gardens) a few years ago?

TinkRBell427

A lady at my work came to me today to ask me if they were closing Mission:Space. She said she has heard it on the news or radio too. I told her I didn't know and this was the first place I checked, but nothing had been written. So I didn't know what to tell her. I hope that it's not true!

Testtrack321

________

I'm sorry, but a $100million + attraction WON'T close after less than one year of operation. If anything, it will close for a tone down, but not peremently. That's just ________. I'm sorry, but M:S is also getting added to Tokyo too.

DDuckFan130

After putting so much money into the ride they'd just close it down?! I doubt it. If anything, they can make it less intense but that shouldn't be the case either. Like it has been said earlier, there are warnings everywhere telling you not to ride if this and if that. Just like with AE, people decide to ignore the warnings and ride anyway, and these are the consequences. Read the warnings people please! I warned my aunt before she went and while her sister was begging for her to ride my warnings kept ringing in her head about the spinning and she did not ride it. Let's follow my aunt's example and take heed of these warnings :lol:

crazydaveh

I have checked all the local news outlets in Central Florida as well as the AP Wire, and the Disney Press site. No one says anything about M:S closing or being toned down.

Just thought I would pass this along.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Just like with AE, people decide to ignore the warnings and ride anyway, and these are the consequences. Read the warnings people please!

Amen brother! Let's not let complaints from idiots close down another attraction. :lol:

Am I the only one that was disapointed with M:S on their first ride? I thought it WASN'T intense enough! After all the warnings and the way they were stressed in the preshows I expected a much more intense ride. I mean sure I love it now, but I thought the warnings made it out to be worse than what they were.

There is no way M:S is closing and WDW would be stupid to make it any less intense. This story is crap. It's a shame some radio station is saying this for ratings.

And for the record I've only been on M:S 25 or so times and I've also never seen anyone getting sick. But I also never saw a kid crying on AE either.

sniggle74

As I stated earlier....I was more nervous about getting sick. The only reason I kept getting more nervous as I went along was the fact of it being shoved down my throat (pardon the pun). I understand why there are numberous statements explaining the intesity and the potential of "accidents", but I think there comes a time when there are too many. The perfect example is when I went on M:S for the first time. There was a little boy (probably around 8) with his mother waiting in the docking bay with our crew. You could tell that with each explaination of the "dangers" he was more and more upset about thinking of going on the attraction. When Lt. Dan gives you one last chance to ride...the boy was so frightened that he was terrified to even think of stepping foot into the pod.

Unfortunately, on the flip-side of the story....if we didn't get bombarded with warnings someone would eventually come back to upper management and demand that there weren't enough warnings. *sigh*

tigsmom

I have to be honest, I was afraid to ride it. I get motion sickness easily due to a middle ear problem. My DH and youngest daughter (9) rode it last August. The little one was fine until 15 minutes later; then she became very dizzy & :hurl: . My hubby said it felt like a fist was pressing on his chest the whole time...no pain, but very uncomfortable. They are both in VERY good health. I was waiting by the exit (inside just past the shop) and watched many people come out, young and old. Many people just walked out, but I did see someone come out in a wheelchair, many people, both young & old had to sit down due to dizziness & weakness. Another woman walked into the shop, told her husband she needed to sit down & then collapsed. She seemed totally disoriented and unable to get her legs to function. Totally different than just seconds before when she seemed fine.
I think each person needs to carefully evaluate this ride before they decide to ride. (just like the signs say)

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by dxwwf3
Amen brother! Let's not let complaints from idiots close down another attraction. :lol:

Am I the only one that was disapointed with M:S on their first ride? I thought it WASN'T intense enough! After all the warnings and the way they were stressed in the preshows I expected a much more intense ride. I mean sure I love it now, but I thought the warnings made it out to be worse than what they were.

There is no way M:S is closing and WDW would be stupid to make it any less intense. This story is crap. It's a shame some radio station is saying this for ratings.

And for the record I've only been on M:S 25 or so times and I've also never seen anyone getting sick. But I also never saw a kid crying on AE either.

Amen SISTER! :lol: let's get that straight :D

Anyway, I wasn't disappointed. My only disappointment was that I was really nervous when I rode so my stomach was already queasy. In the end, I took it in stride compared to the rest of my party. The MALES in the party ended up :hurl: :lol:. I was only a bit nauseous in the taking off part but otherwise I enjoyed the ride. Can't wait to go on it again.

Oh, and my brother cried the first time he saw AE. I felt so bad, but it's not because my parents forced him. He thought he would take it like a man...WRONG :lol:. He was I think around 10 then maybe younger. But he eventually rode it again without a problem.

Disney2002

Promise me

Who is with me on this.

If disney announces that they are shutting down or even toning down Mission Space, we embark on the most aggressive campaign to keep it as is. I don't start my new job until August, so I have a lot of time on my hands once I graduate!!

Bill

Account Suspended
Actually, I wouldn't mind if they blew up the whole building. I really miss Horizons. But seriously, it's not gonna close any time soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom