Mission: SPACE testing a "no G Force" version of the experience

kcnole

If they can pull it off I say it's a win win all around.

It makes the lawyers happy, which makes the stockholders happy.

It makes the CM's happy (if done correctly) since they don't have to worry as much with people vomiting after the ride or having to call an ambulance.

It makes the visitors happy, those who love the intense version still have 3 pods for that, those of us who don't now can have at least a portion of the experience (and there's a lot of us who fall in that category).

The complaint dept is happy because they receive less complaints about Mission Space.

I don't see how anybody can see it as a bad idea. It's not like there's ever much of a wait that this will be adding to or anyone's losing the version of the ride they currently have.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
DisneyJill said:
By choosing the wilder version, this puts much more blame and responsibility on the rider. Or the riders parents, or whatever the case may be. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am NOT saying this is the ONLY reason Disney would offer this. Just another angle that no one had mentioned. I think it's a great alternative-maybe now my previously terrified mother will ride and see what a great attraction it is.

The rider is still soley responsible for choosing to ride M:S even in its current confirguration. Nobody forces anyone to ride, it's entirely up to the rider if they ride M:S. :)

Captain Chaos

As I said, i think it is a wonderful idea.. And I agree.. A win for everyone... However, you know there will stil be problems because someone will get on the wrong line and go on the wilder one, or there will still be people with undiagnosed problems going on the wilder one.. But, at least this gives those who know they cannot ride the wilder version a chance to ride M:S....

Just wondering... if Disney does go ahead and do this, and the new tamer version in more popular (i.e. higher numbers of riders), would Disney then think WOW WE JUST STRUCK SOMETHING HERE and do the whole ride.. Remember, numbers do matter..

hokielutz

welcomed change

In any case, this move is welcomed and will probably be a winning change. Its a great compromise that can get more onto the attraction that were scared before...
I've usually felt a fair amount of anxiety before riding a new thrill attraction for the first time, and this was true for my first time on ToT, RnRC and Mission Space. :( So I am sure that many people are not just fearful for their health, but also have a high amount of anxiety about trying something unique as this ride. Thus they pass on the attraction.

I'm happy about the change. I just hope the imagineers are as good as re-designing the queue for this change as they are with creating the attractions.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't think WDI making a less intense version of M:S is admitting anything other then Disney listens to guest feedback. The subject of the forces present in M:S has been beaten into the ground but there is no denying that there are other rides (ie The Gravatron) that apply equal or greater force for the same or greater duration that operate without the same bad press. Disney is wisely responding to guest feed back. Admittedly it is a little late but they are responding.

However I have no doubt that there will be a number of ambulance chasers that play the Disney admitted fault card for a quick pay day.

DisneyJill

wdwmagic said:
The rider is still soley responsible for choosing to ride M:S even in its current confirguration. Nobody forces anyone to ride, it's entirely up to the rider if they ride M:S. :)

Right-o. I just think the 3rd choice makes it better even-you don't have the "Ride or don't." You have "Ride tame, ride...less tame :lol: , or don't ride." And that's a good thing. For all involved.

WDWFanatic

I think its a great ideal as well. I know alot of people that would ride it if they knew it didnt put the g forces on you. Has anyone noticed that the joysticks dont give you any resistance anymore? The last few times i rode it they were easy to move. Little things like that ruin part of the experience for me.

Pete C

One thing I never really got about this attraction was the joystick and buttons. They have no bearing on the ride. A lot of time is spent telling the riders to stare straight ahead for the duration of the ride, and then you have these things that take your eyes off the screen.

Captain Chaos

Pete C said:
One thing I never really got about this attraction was the joystick and buttons. They have no bearing on the ride. A lot of time is spent telling the riders to stare straight ahead for the duration of the ride, and then you have these things that take your eyes off the screen.

It added to the element of you being in control of the capsule... I was able to pull the joystick and push the button without taking my eyes off the screen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pete C said:

The joystick and buttons are there to complete the illusion of being inside a real space craft. Their positioning directly infront of you makes it possible to operate them without the need to look to the side or away from the screen. Without these, you would essentially just be passengers, which takes away from the story of being part of the crew.

Timmay

Well, if they can make it work and their tests show the ride still has some value and "fun factor" with no G forces, I see no problem. Let some people of the folks who can't or won't ride it have a chance at it.

I think it may be a big let down, however...but we shall see. It may never even make it past the testing, though.

Pete C

wdwmagic said:
The joystick and buttons are there to complete the illusion of being inside a real space craft. Their positioning directly infront of you makes it possible to operate them without the need to look to the side or away from the screen. Without these, you would essentially just be passengers, which takes away from the story of being part of the crew.

Ok, it's been a while I guess I forgot the buttons were directly in front of you. I know that it was part of the story and theme, but I was more referring to the fact that they have no bearing on the video.

DisneySaint

If this is what it takes to keep the original ride - then so be it. Though I must say, the no-G-force version will be pretyt pathetic.

imagineer99

Yeah, I agree with a lot of the other posters on this--very ambivalent.

On one hand, it allows a tame option, opening up the ride to a wider audience.

However, there's a lot of cons as well. First, is strictly informing the average public about the difference. I mean, we're talking about a conventional population that knows nothing about what they are getting into. After all, how many people still don't "understand" that M:S is a centrifuge despite all the ride warnings, videos, and briefings?

If this were to take effect, Disney has to somehow explain the difference. The queue is already confusing enough as it is with fast pass, single riders, stand by, etc. Now, we have to add another category? "Wuss" ;)

Granted, I have no idea how the ride would "feel" in absence of the spinning, but my first instinct leaves me skeptical. I think it's been addressed, but the pods themselves don't actually move that much during the ride. The focal point has always been the spinning. Take that away, and its like riding ToT without the drops. I mean, I feel as if serious modifications would have to made to the "spinless" centrifuge, as in a whole new ride sequence for each of the pods to make the experience more exciting.

I guess, we shall see...

lunalovegoddess

Our family loves the ride, but recently my husband was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have asthma, and on the last two times I rode Mission: Space, the g-force exerted too much pressure on my chest for me to breathe well. So we have not ridden as a family in a long time. If Disney offers the option of a choice between the original ride and its tamer counterpart, it would be great.
As Master Yoda pointed out, at Sea World, you have the option to skip the ride portion of Wild Arctic and see the film in an immobile theater.
I think that it is a very good idea for Mission:Space to provide this option as well.

MAF

Why don't they just admit that they made a poor attraction and be done with it? They obviously created an attraction that doesn't appeal to adults because of the risks such as if you have high blood pressure and thrill seekers don't like it either because it's too tame. They should have just created something of quality and with an actual theme instead of creating this "spin and puke." I guess we'll be stuck w/ it for a while....

askmike1

I am definitely not in favor of this. After doing this, where do they draw the line? Do they make a ToT shaft that doesn't drop really fast? Do they make a walkthrough version of RnRC? How about a teacup that doesn't spin? This is rediculous imo.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Pete C said:
You can move your eyes on M:S or any centrifuge for that matter without any ill effects. The problem comes when you move your head. With you head straight and level your inner ear is fooled into thinking that you are moving forward because they are in line with the rotational arc of the centrifuge. The problem surfaces when you move your head and your inner ear is no longer in line with the arc. Your brain suddenly gets the signal from your inner ear that you are spinning. For most people especially those susceptible to motion sickness this results in the infamous protein spill.

kcnole

I am definitely not in favor of this. After doing this, where do they draw the line? Do they make a ToT shaft that doesn't drop really fast? Do they make a walkthrough version of RnRC? How about a teacup that doesn't spin? This is rediculous imo.

No other ride in the park even comes close to getting the number of complaints about how sick people get than this one does. I think that makes a big difference. In many situations it's the only ride in any of the parks people can't ride. If they can manage to make it a fun ride without the spinning and it doesn't effect the regular riders how is it a bad thing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom