Mission: SPACE testing a "no G Force" version of the experience

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Disney spent $100 million getting that thing to feel like you're actually taking off into space and now they're going to 'tame it down'....AGAIN?? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: Oops...helps if i read further into the thread...I thought they were going to tame down the WHOLE ride...lol :blush:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Shaman said:
This COULD create confusion in the queue, and in turn the rider decision making process (as it relates to people's health and the ride).

That said, it's an interesting idea....maybe they'll add unique effects to the "no Gs" version to make it enjoyable.
I don't think it would be too bad. Sea world has something similar for their Wild Arctic exhibit. On line takes you to a simulator and the other takes you to a small movie theater. At worst the single rider line would have to be converted to a mild riders line.

Punkss

Sounds like a very wise idea, and certainly cut down the ride time and plus the down time from sickies.

It was a shame really that something as great as this can have such an adverse reaction in so many people because whether you can ride it or not its a great ride.

Captain Chaos

wdwmagic said:
It would be one ride bay, not capsule. So that would be 10 capsules in the ride bay at a time that would feature the no g option.

Sorry mis-read you... Half the ride toned down, half not.. I like the idea.. I may actually ride it if this turns out to be the case.

Steve, just a question... Do you know when testing started? Was it after the latest incident, or prior? Cause I would love to know if this was a reaction to the sicknesses attributed to the ride or was this something Disney had planned all along?

WDWGuide

wdwmagic said:

Baaaaad idea. It's like to prompt one of two reactions:

1.) Why did I just waste my time watching a poorly-animated CG movie while strapped into a little capsule that didn't do anything but rock back and forth a llittle bit?

2.) That wasn't nearly as bad as I expected - my bad heart can certainly handle that easily, how much worse could the real deal be? Let's go on the real ride next!

dxwwf3

We'll have to wait and see how this works out. I have a feeling that people riding the ride without the g-forces will say "That's nothing!" and they will either be very disapointed or they will then feel more confident in trying the real thing and that could be a bad thing for some people (Of course, it could also help get people who would end up enjoying the real attraction that otherwise would have been too scared)

Captain Chaos

WDWGuide said:

1.) Why did I just waste my time watching a poorly-animated CG movie while strapped into a little capsule that didn't do anything but rock back and forth a llittle bit?

2.) That wasn't nearly as bad as I expected - my bad heart can certainly handle that easily, how much worse could the real deal be? Let's go on the real ride next!

Well, I think Disney would make it be known that the ride was a tamed version and that the real version is intense...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WDWGuide said:

1. I don't think that will be a problem. It should be pretty obvious that there is a mild version and a wild version. Guests that get into the mild line won't be expecting high intensity. Had the ride been originally advertised as the most realistic space simulator on the planet and the all it turned out to be was a capsule rocking back and forth then there would be a problem.

2. I think the mild option will help much more than hurt. It will help to thin out the number of people that get sick on the attraction. There will be plenty of guests that would have gotten on M:S as is but will chose the mild option just to be safe. Some of those guests will find still the mild version to more then they want and stop there. Had these guests gotten on the full version of the ride a protein spill very well might have been the result. You will always have the guest that pushes it to far, that is inevitable, but at least with two thrill level options they might not have as far to fall.

Shaman

Does anyone know which centrifuge gets the most "incidents"...perhaps they'll be modifying the "unlucky" ones. :lookaroun

Hawk4255

Don't particularly like this idea, but if they do go ahead with it, I would make the no-G version a different story entirely. Perhaps make that the training aspect of the ISTC, with a different movie and ride experience entirely, then the spinning bays would be the actual flight. Just a thought.

Now...just for future knowledge...how much can it "roll?" Can these pods actually spin 360 degrees in both directions?

Just to clarify, they can't "spin" at all in the sense of yaw motion. Only pitch and roll.

Epcot82Guy

Actually, this option has been available in most of the original "motion-based theaters" attractions for years. Aside from Disney's simulators, the attractions that had individual seat movements have offered stationary seats. So, I think it works (although it is kinda like the non-moving horses on the carousel but on steroids! :p )

I also think that, while some confusion will happen, the reaction other guests have and the warnings will keep people from doing the main version if there is question. Also, as calous as this sounds, it's their own darn fault if they choose to go (no pun intended). The warnings will likely stay in a modified form (i.e. go ride the no-g one), and they clearly have the option. So, no one would have the right, even though they will, to complain if they do the no-g then ride the full-g.

WDWFREAK53

45 degrees...that's still a pretty significant angle.

I'd be interested to see how this all pans out.

I'd still really like to see an expansion to the entire pavilion with a slow ride dedicated to the history of the space program...showing the Apollo missions, the first walk on the moon, the space station, etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
dxer07002 said:
Sorry mis-read you... Half the ride toned down, half not.. I like the idea.. I may actually ride it if this turns out to be the case.

Steve, just a question... Do you know when testing started? Was it after the latest incident, or prior? Cause I would love to know if this was a reaction to the sicknesses attributed to the ride or was this something Disney had planned all along?

its been planned for a while, and was began prior to the latest incident. It's more a case of opening the ride up to more riders than anything else.

dxwwf3

Hawk4255 said:
Don't particularly like this idea, but if they do go ahead with it, I would make the no-G version a different story entirely. Perhaps make that the training aspect of the ISTC, with a different movie and ride experience entirely, then the spinning bays would be the actual flight. Just a thought.

That's an interesting point. You would think that if they do decide to make this permanent that there would have to be some changes to the preshows. Mainly taking out the 329 warnings and possibly even changing the story somewhat.

TimonRulz

I guess it will be cool for people who can't handle the experience.
To me, its like riding Space Mountain with the lights on... but I hope that more people will at least get to experience some version of Mission:Space like that.

Iakona

I think this is a positive development. I love MS as is, but by not taking anything away from one bay and making another more available to others is a great compromise.

Shaman

Iakona said:
I think this is a positive development. I love MS as is, but by not taking anything away from one bay and making another more available to others is a great compromise.

I agree...it is better than losing the current version of M:S for good.

Captain Chaos

Hawk4255 said:
Don't particularly like this idea, .

What is not to like? I think this is a great idea.. And as others have said, it opens M:S to more people.... I can see this as a boost to attendance for the ride...

its been planned for a while, and was began prior to the latest incident. It's more a case of opening the ride up to more riders than anything else.

And thanks Steve for clarifing that...

Reccyman

May be the idea could be adopted for other rides people have a problem with!
How about covering Goofys Barn Storm, for those who find Space Mountain to intense!!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom