Mission: Space photo

disneywy

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I just spent last week in the "WORLD" and went to check out Mission: Space. While there I noticed that they had left the plastic on the windows at the exit pulled back and so I peeked in and took this shot. Shows that they are still working it. Hope you all enjoy and hopefully I got the picture to attach properly.

Attachments

• p1010039.jpg
    p1010039.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 890

Bagheera

Nice photo, disneywy. Looks like they've got a ways to go yet.

And I see that they've still got that souvenir Mission:Space ladder there, too! :lol: :lol:

AndyMagic

wow... this thing is never opening. :mad: One would think that a gift shop would be complete after nearly 2 years of construction. :rolleyes: I am still confused as to how all of Animal Kingdom was built in less time than this ride. :veryconfu

Main Street USA

Originally posted by AndyMagic
I am still confused as to how all of Animal Kingdom was built in less time than this ride. :veryconfu

Exactly. It doesn't make any sense.

That's a great photo, but extremely disappointing.:rolleyes:

Main Street USA

I'm only bothered by the fact that they've been recently bad at estimating an opening timeframe. They were WAY off on Test Track because of, let's call them "technical difficulties," and now this may be another case of bad guesses.

I swear I've seen a sign that read "Spring 2003," but I've been told by others that they've only read "2003." Even if that's the case, from what I've heard and seen, they're going to be hard pressed to get this up and running by the end of the year.

NowInc

If my predictions are correct..this is just the giftshop, which they are prorobly saving for LAST to finish..im not worried

Katherine

It won't be hard to finish if it is the gift shop. Just paint it up put a few metal thing that look futuristic and through some toys and other memorabilia into it. I hope it's open this summer*sigh*:rolleyes:

lt-hambone

True, but.....

I am still confused as to how all of Animal Kingdom was built in less time than this ride.

True, but keep in mind they (WDW) had to first demolish the old Horizons building, then build a new foundation before they could start work on the building. I believe that part alone took at least a year, if not longer.

:animwink:

imagineersrock

Originally posted by Main Street USA
That's a great photo, but extremely disappointing.:rolleyes:

unfortunatly, my exact same thought...:(

...oh yea, and the triumpant return of the collectors edition M:S ladder!!! -well that makes everything better!

:lol: :lookaroun :hammer:

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Katherine
It won't be hard to finish if it is the gift shop. Just paint it up put a few metal thing that look futuristic and through some toys and other memorabilia into it. I hope it's open this summer*sigh*:rolleyes:

Exactly. You are freaking out at the wrong thing, people. They could have this gift shop finished and filled to the brim with overpriced t-shirts within a week, if need be. Disney knows how to build gift shops, and if this ride is going to open this summer, there is no need to have the gift shop beyond where it is at this point. By the way, the signs always said "Blasting-Off in 2003". Never did they say Spring 2003. Unless there is a major explosion, this ride should be open this year, because the ride system actually WORKS (as in people other than Imagineers have ridden it).

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Me, Personally, I cannot wait to ride the Mission: Space: Ladder...! :lol:

Or maybe its part of the ride... See... They are building a ladder to the International Space Station... and part of your Mission is to climb all the way up to space to board your ship. You will experience the feeling of weightlessness and nausea from climbing that big bad ladder. :lol: ;)

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DMC-12
Me, Personally, I cannot wait to ride the Mission: Space: Ladder...! :lol:

Or maybe its part of the ride... See... They are building a ladder to the International Space Station... and part of your Mission is to climb all the way up to space to board your ship. You will experience the feeling of weightlessness and nausea from climbing that big bad ladder. :lol: ;)

...and here I thought M:S was gonna be a 400ft tall coaster this whole time...it's just a 400ft LADDER!!! (to match the spiral ladder next door at WoL)

EchoOfOphelia

Yesterday, I was on the phone with a Disney CM and I asked him when they thought Mission Space would be opening and he said they've just been told sometime later this year. Which when you think about, could be tomorrow or could be December. So, yikes... Thanks for the picture!

mandib

Another reason to pray that this might be open by the end of this year. Maybe it's a surprise Christmas present? lol We all know that Disney loves to do holidays! lol :)

NowInc

They will open it in an "off season".,...to open it during the peak times would be a baaaaaad idea. They need to test it to make sure i can handle different loads....best way to do that is a soft opening in a non-busy time of year ;)

WDW1971

wow... this thing is never opening. :mad: One would think that a gift shop would be complete after nearly 2 years of construction. :rolleyes: I am still confused as to how all of Animal Kingdom was built in less time than this ride. :veryconfu

Maybe it takes longer to make more fun...:lol:

Seriously, being in the construction industry, there are logistics to keep in mind. Horizons had to be cleared first. Once that was completed, they had to work around the rest of Epcot. When you're building in an area that's being used by non-construction employees, it takes more time because you have to truck in the supplies and keep it all out of the way of normal operation of the park.

Hopefully that makes sense.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by WDW1971
Maybe it takes longer to make more fun...:lol:

Seriously, being in the construction industry, there are logistics to keep in mind. Horizons had to be cleared first. Once that was completed, they had to work around the rest of Epcot. When you're building in an area that's being used by non-construction employees, it takes more time because you have to truck in the supplies and keep it all out of the way of normal operation of the park.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes a little. I didn't even think of that so thanks for the info! :) Although going back to the original release date. Yes, all the signs have said simply 2003 BUT the original countdown clock in innoventions was counting down to sometime in April 2003. Then they took it down because, as they said "it wasn't supposed to be counting down to a real date." Why in gods name would you add a countdown clock if it is counting down to a random date that the ride will not be open on. My guess is they were SURE that it would be open before then and as construction began, they realized they wouldn't be able to pull it off and so they took the sign down.

WDWFREAK53

Yes a little. I didn't even think of that so thanks for the info! :) Although going back to the original release date. Yes, all the signs have said simply 2003 BUT the original countdown clock in innoventions was counting down to sometime in April 2003. Then they took it down because, as they said "it wasn't supposed to be counting down to a real date." Why in gods name would you add a countdown clock if it is counting down to a random date that the ride will not be open on. My guess is they were SURE that it would be open before then and as construction began, they realized they wouldn't be able to pull it off and so they took the sign down.

(they could've just added a few months to it...like anyone would've known :lookaroun )

bhg469

Originally posted by Bagheera
Nice photo, disneywy. Looks like they've got a ways to go yet.

And I see that they've still got that souvenir Mission:Space ladder there, too! :lol: :lol:

its the ladder i thought id never see it again!

thanks for the pic

Kellylynn322

Oh boy. I have a countdown clock on my computer counting down to my next Disney trip. Are you telling me this isn't a real date and I still have to work? Or was I just suppose to pick a random date and let it run?

Ps. Note to the Disney people.....I am ready for MS to be open. I will be there in August and I am tired of just seeing the Watch this Space sign. I know you were all waiting for this note to open it. :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom