Mission:Space Inappropriate Now?

mickeyfanatics

Originally posted by AndyMagic
True, simply putting the names of the seven would not be appropriate. Dedicating it to all those who lost their lives in space would be much more fitting.

Actually, NASA still has not lost one Astronaut in space. the Columbia was within the confines of Earth's atmosphere, just like Challenger and Apollo 1. It is unfortunate and a sad day. I just hope that we use this lesson and learn from it a lot quicker than we did when Challenger exploded. I still remember everything about that day!

Michael72688

Yes it was an terrible tragedy, but I still think the ride should open just as planned when ever it was going to open. Does the ride even have anything to do with the Space Shuttle?

Erika

I can't see a lot of people making a fuss if M:S opens without an added delay. What happened was a horrible, terrifying accident but I don't think it's the kind of situation where people will be offended by the opening of a space exploration ride later in the year. If the story line involved the explosion or breaking-up of a shuttle, things would be different; as far as I know, that's not the case. Although as I've said before- What do I know, really? :lol:

Tramp

Originally posted by Erika
I can't see a lot of people making a fuss if M:S opens without an added delay. What happened was a horrible, terrifying accident but I don't think it's the kind of situation where people will be offended by the opening of a space exploration ride later in the year. If the story line involved the explosion or breaking-up of a shuttle, things would be different; as far as I know, that's not the case. Although as I've said before- What do I know, really? :lol:

I agree, hon. I don't see the connection between the shuttle explosion and a Disney attraction. Maybe I'm thick! The world may pause in reflection of those that perished, but the aspirations and dreams of men and women will never allow it to stop.

Perhaps a memorial plaque in honor of those that have died in the space program would be a nice gesture, but be sure to leave some blank spaces as surely there will be others to add to it.

Cliff

I think that Mission:Space should open on time as planned.

The only think that I think should stop the ride from opening is a specific scenario of the plot. I know that during the ride, something "goes wrong" and that builds to the tension of the show. "What" exactly goes wrong?

Unless this simulation involves your craft burning up on re-entry to Earth, I think the plot will be OK.

Look,....Yesterday HAPPENED. It's now part of our history forever. We need to learn how to absorb and accept this and not "push it away" or anything else that reminds us of it.

Many people believed that after 911, movie studios should have digitally erased the twin towers from future movie releases that were already filmed. I do understand the feelings around them but I don't believe we need to "cover up" history because it brings up sad emotions. This is our life on this planet. Terrible things have happened and will continue to happen in the future. Rather than ignore them, lets learn to "deal" with them instead.

Unfortunately, as space exploration grows so does the potential for accidents like this. Sadly, these will NOT be the last astronauts to die in a mission. It's a VERY dangerous and risky business. Hell,...in general, we all need to understand the fact that when people step into a vehicle and leave Earth, they just might not come back. That's reality. Everybody that has flown on an airplane has faced that. ( Weather they "realized" it or not.)

That's reality. It's a hard pill to swallow be we have to.

The astronauts understand the dangers they volunteered for. I think Mission:Space will celebrate their courage and spirit and will show us some of the dangers that they REALLY face out there.

"Reality" is not something to cover up or hide.

CT

epcot71

its very sad what happened yesterday.i salute the men and woman who put their lives on the line to advance our knowledge of space.
ive always been a pragmatist(realist).i dont think the mission to space attraction needs to be halted for what happened.
as horrible as it was;it was an isolated incident. if we all start thinking of linking tragadies to disney attractions half would be gone or not even done-------

world of motion and test track---what about the thousands of people who are killed in car crashes a day?
if u had wings and dream flight----all the plane crashes???
living seas----all the people lost at sea during war and the titanic

i can go on and on but the point is it was very very sad what happened but i think it would be a greater salute to finish the project on time with of course a dedication to ALL the men and woman who died in space exploration.

TURKEY

Originally posted by AndyMagic
True, simply putting the names of the seven would not be appropriate. Dedicating it to all those who lost their lives in space would be much more fitting.

Man, you've really changed your tune.

Maria

Originally posted by 10021982
I think that Mission:Space should open on time as planned.

The only think that I think should stop the ride from opening is a specific scenario of the plot. I know that during the ride, something "goes wrong" and that builds to the tension of the show. "What" exactly goes wrong?

Unless this simulation involves your craft burning up on re-entry to Earth, I think the plot will be OK.

Look,....Yesterday HAPPENED. It's now part of our history forever. We need to learn how to absorb and accept this and not "push it away" or anything else that reminds us of it.

Many people believed that after 911, movie studios should have digitally erased the twin towers from future movie releases that were already filmed. I do understand the feelings around them but I don't believe we need to "cover up" history because it brings up sad emotions. This is our life on this planet. Terrible things have happened and will continue to happen in the future. Rather than ignore them, lets learn to "deal" with them instead.

Unfortunately, as space exploration grows so does the potential for accidents like this. Sadly, these will NOT be the last astronauts to die in a mission. It's a VERY dangerous and risky business. Hell,...in general, we all need to understand the fact that when people step into a vehicle and leave Earth, they just might not come back. That's reality. Everybody that has flown on an airplane has faced that. ( Weather they "realized" it or not.)

That's reality. It's a hard pill to swallow be we have to.

The astronauts understand the dangers they volunteered for. I think Mission:Space will celebrate their courage and spirit and will show us some of the dangers that they REALLY face out there.

"Reality" is not something to cover up or hide.

CT

Very well said! I agree with you. :)

BigNorm

I agree w/ those who think M:S should be opened as planned. I think the President put it best, "The cause in which they died will continue. Mankind is led into the darkness beyond our world by the inspiration of discovery and the longing to understand. Our journey into space will go on." Even though his remarks were specifically written for the Spaceship Columbia and its crew, it does seem to fit the current questions about M:S as well, wouldn't you agree? M:S would be a fitting tribute to the Columbia and her crew.

Atticus

When tragic events occur, you do have to mourn. But I feel that WDW will not delay the opening of Mission Space. I definetly thought about this when the tradgedy occured, but it just doesn't seem sensible.

Wow that doesn't make a lot of sense. But what I'm trying to say is I doubt it will be delayed and that yes this was a tradgedy, but Mission Space is only a ride.

Would Disney delay the opening if it was tomorrow? Probably yes. In six months? Unlikely. Remember the movie "Space Camp?" About a bunch of kids who are accidentaly launched on a space shuttle. Scheduled to open shortly after the Challenger disaster. They pushed it back several months, then opened it. That hits MUCH closer to home than a ride about space travel. Also, I remember seeing the Imax film "The Dream is Alive" shortly after the Challenger disaster, and even featured at least one of the Challenger astronauts (Judith Resnik). They didn't stop showing that film.

Also, here's another question - what do you think the astronauts who lost their lives would have wanted? To open an attraction that celebrates the exploration of space (the thing they loved to do)? Or to not open it out of respect? I think they probably would have preferred it to open, if for no other reason than to celebrate their lives' work.

prberk

Original Poster
Originally posted by Atticus
but Mission Space is only a ride.

Well, see, for me this is exactly the flashpoint. It is NOT "just a ride." No offense, but it is in Epcot, and it is meant both to educate and to entertain. If it were "just a ride," I don't think this would matter.

I thank everyone for the responses. It has been enlightening to read them.

One unfortunate thing that I am reading, though, is this thing about "being offending" and "getting over it." I don't think that the potential problem with opening this attraction too quickly would be about offending people. I think it would be more about the memories being too fresh and hence conjured up in a fearful or overwhelming way by the ride.

Two negative risks are there: (1) If the sensation of danger or lift-off/re-entry is too intense or "close to home," it may overwhelm the positive thoughts that the ride is intended to evoke. And, (2) the promotion of the ride could evoke certain of the same feelings. Any advertising and promotion would have to be carefully crafted to be positive and /or respectful.

Ultimately the ride celebrates space travel and should open. I just know that sometimes, a time of mourning helps, and if people have not sorted out their feelings, some things that should be positive actually end up causing the person to hurt instead.

BTW, I can't help but think of the end sequence in Golden Dreams in the American Adventure attraction. The space program is featured there, just as the song says that America should "keep on flying high." A moving tribute.

The spirit of exploration prevails. And if the Walt Disney's legacy is proof, EPCOT and Mission: Space will ultimately enhance that spirit.

SpongeScott

my gosh, for as short as an attention span we have in America and with no date being announced as to when MS is going to open, I would imagine all will work out fine with the opening as related to the Columbia disaster. Indications seem to be that we are looking at a minimum of 6 months.

TIGGER-FAN

I don't think the point is should it open, but how they may incorperate some sort of a memorial for all space travelers who have given their lives in the performance of their duties. Mision space is supposed to have an international theme so Disney could make some dedication to all who have lost their lives not just Americans.

I think Mission Space should open when the time is right. Disney is in the business of keeping dreams alive, lets face it, how many children (including us at one point) have dreamed of venturing into space. For some Mission Space may be as close as they ever come to the real thing. Just my humble two cents!

GoofyMike29

Disney should go on as planned, and open Mission Space on the same date before the Cloumbia Disaster occured.

It was definitely a tragedy but it in no way affect the opening date of Mission Space.

Nut4Disney

I don't think that the recent tragedy should have anything to do with the opening of MS. It's a ride, people. While I feel bad for the families of the astronauts, and think that the astronauts were very courageous individuals, there is an inherent danger in what they do. I'm not trying to trivialize what occured, but over 100 missions since the challenger disaster without losing a soul is damn good, in my opinion. The space program is fairly new, and future space exploration is based on past mistakes that NASA has learned from. These astronauts were pioneers for future exploration. NASA has made the landing of the shuttle look so easy, for the past 22 yrs, that people take for granted what an accomplishment this is. The shuttle is entering the earths atmosphere at almost 18,000 mph, and doing this over 100 times without an incident until now is remarkable.

dreamer

Should Test Track be closed because of the thousands that die in car wrecks every year?

Should we stop everything because something bad is probably going to happen somewhere in the world every day?

I wonder how many people have died traveling to Disney World? I would bet the number is greater than 7.

The world is no different now than it was 3 days ago. We have to go on.

Tramp

I don't believe a memorial to those killed in the recent shuttle explosion should be the 'primary' focus of any acknowledgement in the M:S attraction. One need only travel approx. 50 miles east of Orlando to find the most comprehensive and appropriate memorial, it's called Cape Canaveral. Instead, I'd like to see M:S concentrate on ALL who contributed to space travel WORLDWIDE and not limit those contributions to those who have been killed. Many who are alive today have had a much more significant hand in the successes and benefits of space travel than those brave people killed in carrying out the missions. Those contributions should not be ignored or diminished in the memory of deceased astronauts or cosmonauts.

In my humble and often incorrect opinion, it should be the goal of any Epcot attraction to provide all it's visitors the broadest form of education and hope from an international perspective in line with Epcot's mission statement that, "Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all."

I hope children who visit this attraction will walk away enriched with the wonders and achievements of space exploration and not with the sadness and discouragement of horrific space accidents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom