Mission:Space : Flop?

peter_pan_man

If anything needs to be refurbed or torn down for something new it would be Fast Track (yes that was a joke).

I think you mean Test Track...but it nearly always has the second longest wait time in Epcot behind Soarin', so from a numbers perspective, it's still M:S that should be replaced, not Test Track

The post was more of my opinion than numbers, and yes I know Disney really doesn't care about one person's opinion. I can't help but wonder the ratio of first time visitors to repeat visitors that wait for TT. It just doesn't interest me...I think I've ridden it twice (during my first trip to the parks in 2005) and that was enough for me.

sweetpee_1993

I agree with all those who have said that probably M:S is not necessarily a flop but has not maintained it's status as a big headliner quite the way Test Track and Soarin' have. M:S still brings in a steady flow of guests. It doesn't sit there empty.

Definitely negative press regarding the unfortunate deaths has had an impact. It seems like when the deaths occured the articles I read were greatly sensationalized pointing fingers and playing up that a **Disney** ride caused a death. Then there was maybe a small, off-hand mention or small print somewhere only hinting at the fact that the deaths were also people who had either diagnosed or undiagnosed prior medical conditions that combined with the extreme ride experience ((hello, read the signs...they aren't exactly vague)) were the cause.

As for my personal opinion, I think it's a great experience. The theming is wonderful. It's immersive. The overall "show" quality is quite impressive. My family are all huge aviation/space fans. This particular attraction is right up our alley. Where else would we get the opportunity to be part of a space mission to Mars?! So for what the attraction is and what it accomplishes, I think it's great. My sons totally love the ride. They are happy to go on the orange mission over and over and over. Unfortunately, I limit myself to one ride at a time or I'll get a headache and nobody wants to ruin themselves for the rest of their day. Hubby does maybe 2 or 3 before he needs to give his body a rest. We're fast becoming the old folks we never wanted to be. LOL! It's fun for us to see the kids get so into it. They choose their positions and tell us what they want our jobs to be. It's fun. It's a must-do for our family every bit as much as Test Track or Soarin'.

Do I miss Horizons? Duh. Who doesn't? Do I let that impact my opinion of M:S? No. That would be silly. That's kinda like hating the Pooh play area because it now sits where 20K Leagues used to be. They have nothing to do with each other other than geography.

Timmay

A lot of people have an axe to grind with M:S...more so than any other ride at WDW it seems to me...that doesn't mean it is a flop or that there are "clearly" problems with it. That is all just opinion, no matter how hard it's tried to be presented as fact.

MrToad1

Mission Space is a terrible boring ride. Bring back Horizons!!! Mission Space is one of (if not the only) ride at Disney that I always skip!

I know lets create a ride where we cram people into a box and have them sit there and stare at an LCD screen.

I already do that at work in my cubicle!! Why would I want to go to Disney and do the same thing??

jsdratm

I think that, if nothing else, Mission: Space is a major innovation as far as theme park attractions go. Soarin', for example is just a bigger and gentler version of Star Tours in terms of technology. Mission: Space is a unique innovation and it speaks to its authenticity that people have gotten sick or even died after riding it, just like some people would get sick or die during a rocket launch. Riding it gives you the experience of launching into space (now toned down a bit), which you can't really experience anywhere else. I think that this alone makes it a huge success, even if people aren't inclined to ride it as many times as other rides like Soarin'.

jakeman

Do I miss Horizons? Duh. Who doesn't?
I don't miss Horizons at all. I am unfortunately one of the unwashed masses that never "got it" with Horizons. I use "got it" loosely because it appears that the Horizons following is about 80% bandwagon at this point. I could name a few members here that were barely out of diapers when it closed, yet still claim it's the best thing since Walt himself.

Mission: Space is a perfect example of purist choosing nostalgia over progress. It is an innovative ride that simulates something that the average guest will never have a chance to do, now with options for all types of tolerance and it is blasted and insulted because you are not sitting in the dark looking at the same AA from other attranctions in different clothes.

MousDad

Mission: Space is a unique innovation and it speaks to its authenticity that people have gotten sick or even died after riding it, just like some people would get sick or die during a rocket launch.

[Eisner]: So, team, I'm a little concerned about the authenticity of Mission:Space. My legacy is depending on this.

[Imagineer]: But sir, 3 people have died during testing.

[Eisner]: Really? Sweet, we're good to go then.

***I apologize in advance for the cold-hearted nature of this post, and I am not in any way trying to bash jsdratm. I simply could not resist the underlying comedic value that could be read into that quote.

yankspy

I don't miss Horizons at all. I am unfortunately one of the unwashed masses that never "got it" with Horizons. I use "got it" loosely because it appears that the Horizons following is about 80% bandwagon at this point. I could name a few members here that were barely out of diapers when it closed, yet still claim it's the best thing since Walt himself.

Mission: Space is a perfect example of purist choosing nostalgia over progress. It is an innovative ride that simulates something that the average guest will never have a chance to do, now with options for all types of tolerance and it is blasted and insulted because you are not sitting in the dark looking at the same AA from other attranctions in different clothes.
I guess I am in the 20% since I was well out of diapers and I actually enjoyed both attractions. I do wonder why you seem to believe that just because one has fond memories of Horizons, that makes them foolish. You did not like it and that is fine. I do not think that you are better or worse for it.

kingslyZISSOU

Was mission space expensive? I mean, I dont understand why it would be. Its not much diffrent than those carnival rides that stick you to the wall, i dont think its even as strong. The only diffrence is that it tilts you, and has a video with special effects. I still think its pretty cool, but was it the building that made it expensive or what?

MrToad1

Wait Wait Wait! Nostalgia over progress? Yeah because being spun around in a box while you stare at a computer screen is so incredibly innovative. There was a heck of a lot more innovation in what Horizons had to offer than what mission space offers.

Thiger

While I found that riding Mission: Space to be a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience; I really dont like the tiny compartments. I think if the ride was more of a 'Star Tours' seating it would attract more people. I had to admit though, riding the hardcore version the first time helped me live out my boyhood dream of what it would be like being an astronaut.

My thing is that it must be a fine line for Dis' to create rides that appeal to the thrill seekers and those who would rather ride more relaxed rides. Personally I'm kinda glad the line is short as I can always just walk in and go for a whirl ;)

jakeman

I guess I am in the 20% since I was well out of diapers and I actually enjoyed both attractions. I do wonder why you seem to believe that just because one has fond memories of Horizons, that makes them foolish. You did not like it and that is fine. I do not think that you are better or worse for it.
Nowhere in my post did I say that someone who likes Horizons is foolish and apologize if I implied as much. Additionally, if you enjoy both attractions then you would not be the target of my post.

My previous post was the small sect that have it out for Mission: Space solely because it replaced Horizons, of which you or the poster I originally quoted seems to represent.

My first paragraph was in response to the sentiment that everyone is/was a Horizons fan, which is simply not true. The second paragraph was directed at a particular type of Horizons fan that is all to prevalent in this forum.

Thiger

I was well out of diapers and having 2 brothers 5 years older than me which made me ride Horizons over and over again. I loved the ride almost as much as Pirates and HM and was really disappointed when the ride was closed down. Personally I loved Horizons for the narrative of what the future could be. While yes some of the AAs were a bit cheesy, but it was a great ride that I would love to ride once more.

That being said, Mission: Space is really cool and I agree that it allows people to experience something they will probably never get to. I just kinda wished they could've added the ride inside the building somewhere and just keep both.

Oh well, I'll always have Youtube, and there are some great vids of the ride there.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I love mission space and think its a brilliant ride. The way the ride is set up it seems they will one day be able to change the video/ride sequence a bit for new adventures. I just hope they offer a more hardcore version.. I think the problem with the repeat popularity of the ride is the wimpy version. More people seem to choose that version first and of course arent that impressed and dont return for repeat flights. I know if I would have done the easy version first I probably wouldnt have tried it again.. too lame. Some people dont know what they are missing. Its like offering Splash Mountain without the drop.. what the hell is that.

jakeman

Wait Wait Wait! Nostalgia over progress? Yeah because being spun around in a box while you stare at a computer screen is so incredibly innovative. There was a heck of a lot more innovation in what Horizons had to offer than what mission space offers.
Mission: Spaces provides the oppportunity for guest to experience something interactively they will never be able to do in real life.

Horizons provided a passive ride through examples of potential futures using technology that was already 20 years old at the time.

yankspy

Nowhere in my post did I say that someone who likes Horizons is foolish and apologize if I implied as much. Additionally, if you enjoy both attractions then you would not be the target of my post.

My previous post was the small sect that have it out for Mission: Space solely because it replaced Horizons, of which you or the poster I originally quoted seems to represent.

My first paragraph was in response to the sentiment that everyone is/was a Horizons fan, which is simply not true. The second paragraph was directed at a particular type of Horizons fan that is all to prevalent in this forum.
I do not have it out for the ride, I like it. Something was going to replace Horizons, I am glad that it was something good. Your first line said that you were one of the "unwashed masses" that did not get it. So those who got it are what? That was where I got the foolish implication from. I agree that there are those who take the nostalgia thing a bit far, I am somewhat playing devil's advocate.

You argue that M:S is innovative. That does not necessarily mean it is a good ride. Many love the TTA, including myself. Not much in the way of innovation there lately. The formula is simple, people enjoy rides for all sorts of reasons. Innovation does play a part in that, but not the whole reason. You can not always insert logic in enjoyment. People liked Horizons despite the notion that perhaps it was not innovative.

Vernonpush

I don't think that M:S is a flop. I think the bad press is hurting the attraction. I was visiting friends in the area last week and my one friend said "If you want to do M:S I'll wait for you, it just gives me a headache", I asked her if she does the "green version". She didn't know there was a non-spinning version (and she lives locally).
Personally, I think Test Track is a flop ( I know the queues are long), but every time we've tried to ride it, it's broken down before we even got to the preshow. I rode it last week when I went without my partner (maybe he's the jinx), and the 10 hour drive to Orlando was more extreme than Test Track could ever be (same ride, but much longer and I could have died at any time during my drive because of idiots on the road). As Michal at the Magic Kingdom Barbershp said: "People will line up for anything. A guest (actually a CM on his day off) once got a line started at a trash can by standing there" :lol:.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom