Mine Ride Construction Update

PrincessNelly_NJ

WOW. I'm impressed. Yes, they are really similar to Buzz but they move so well. The movements they have are just so life like. The blueprint drawings did them no justice!
I can wait to ride it! I'm really looking forward to seeing the Snow White one.

I just hope... I really hope... we don't see reports of "Grumpy's face stopped working"

TalkingHead

Uncanny valley.

Dopey looks like a kid dressed up in a costume. Grumpy looks like an animated Muppet. Sneezy looks the most "natural," maybe because his facial expression is less emphatic.

Well, they're not cardboard cutouts. I'll give 'em that.

Sped2424

They could say Buzz Lightyear is as impressive.

Or an A100 with full compliance.

They are nice but not the best ever.
I think for what they are those figures are great, just what a dark ride needs. I prefer the animation like faces compared to the plasticity of many of mermaid's figures including ariel. Something about her just never felt right or moved right in my opinion. I think these are worthy of praise.

dstrawn9889

depends on the situation... small heads make projection tough... leota started out as an interior projection, the as they couldnt get her to stay working properly they moved outside... and then were able to lift her off her pedistal by linking the movement motors from the ball and the projector base together

Mawg

I would agree.

The figures look good, and they work well with this application for use on an animation based attraction. Best ever though? Not even close.

I agree, they are not the best ever. The best ever does not even work without causing damage to the attraction. That being said, they are better than expected for this type of attraction and let's not forget the volume of these. There will be at least 7 if not more with the other show scene. Combine the volume with the quality and they certainly did not cheap out with this attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
depends on the situation... small heads make projection tough... leota started out as an interior projection, the as they couldnt get her to stay working properly they moved outside... and then were able to lift her off her pedistal by linking the movement motors from the ball and the projector base together
Really?

dstrawn9889

by what i have read... doombuggies.com, take it as you will, i have not so much as tried to get off the ride to check... its a long fall to the floor in that area

Sped2424

I am almost positive that leota started out as an outside projection and then moved to an interior one at least at the Walt Disney world version.

dstrawn9889

@Sped2424 you are right, went back to my source material

Experimenting with video technology

In the late 1980s, the film strip was converted to video and saved onto a laser disc. The projection was then accomplished by projecting a video source rather than film strips, which had a tendency to break frequently. In tandem with this conversion, Disney also developed a new system of projection which enabled them to hide the source altogether.

secrets_leota_patent.gif
Madame Leota was projected in reverse from inside of the actual head prop via fiber optics from the laser disc. A special wide-angle lens projects the image out to its proper proportions from the center of the head. The image of this system pictured at left is taken directly from Disney's patent for this special projection system. To download the entire patent, click here. It gives an interesting, albeit highly technical, view into the creation of a Disney invention, as well as describing possible ideas for future uses of this technology.

However, the resulting internal projection, when viewed through the semi-opaque head, was not as bright as traditional projection from outside, and the facial features seemed to distort somewhat, as the natural shadows from the contours of the head form were eliminated via the technology. Therefore, the external video projection was restored to Leota in October 2001.

dividerbar_525.jpg

secrets_seance_floatingball.jpg

A 50th anniversary surprise

In tandem with Disneyland's 50th anniversary (which was celebrated in one form or another from 2004 through 2006), the Haunted Mansion was given a number of new special effects. One amazing feat that Walt Disney Imagineering accomplished was to give even more life to Madame Leota by causing her crystal ball to levitate and fly around the table it had previously only set upon. Practical technology to create a mechanical means to synchronize a projection with the "flying" crystal ball didn't exist until recently - but with the advent of brilliant, high-definition video projection technology, a solution was designed. The entire field of space which contains the path that the floating crystal ball follows has become a virtual "screen" for the high definition projection. A computer has the predefined path that the ball will follow programmed into its memory, and the face of Leota (still the original, inimitable Leota Toombs) follows that path, much like a bouncing ball on a computer screensaver.

and there it is... my bad, i was thinking the projector moved, nope just the globe the projector covers the entire area that the globe moves in.

credit to doombuggies.com for the source material, BTW

Sped2424

I wonder if this means we are in for more surprises when we see the animals he was referring to?
Nope, the animals are most likely just nice figures with a bit of motion in them nothing like the dwarves I am guessing they are like many of the inhabitants of the under the sea scene. Dude was off his rocker, so I didn't take anything he said with any credibility.

bhg469

I would agree.

The figures look good, and they work well with this application for use on an animation based attraction. Best ever though? Not even close.
Agree 100%! wicked witch still hasn't been outdone by anything yeti... I mean yet... In the states I mean.

And I have to point out, reliance on screens, everyone does it!

Last edited:

HeatherWatson

With all these details recently released, I am curious how much longer it will be before Disney announces an opening date...

I still haven't watched this most recent clip--I'm trying to fight the urge to peek and instead save a nice surprise for the ride [that I will hopefully be taking in a few weeks] since the consensus seems to be the AAs are indeed pretty awesome.

Mawg

With all these details recently released, I am curious how much longer it will be before Disney announces an opening date...

I still haven't watched this most recent clip--I'm trying to fight the urge to peek and instead save a nice surprise for the ride [that I will hopefully be taking in a few weeks] since the consensus seems to be the AAs are indeed pretty awesome.
We're all just playing with you, they really are just cardboard cutouts so don't expect too much when you do ride it. But do come back and report.

doctornick

Interesting that we still don't have any clue about the contents of the cottage scene.

Anyway, these figures look great. Yes, not the "best ever" or any bold claims like but very well done and gives me strong hope that the overall mine scene will be very enjoyable. They have more movement than I was expecting based on what people had said in the past. I can't wait to see them integrated into the overall scene including the music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom