Mine Ride Construction Update

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They're just trying to allow as many guests as possible to see the construction, look at all the murals and promo artwork, and get them excited about it.....so that they come back in a year or two to check out the "new ride".

Universal needs guests all the time. And they are trying desperately to catch up with, and possibly overtake, Disney. So they pay a huge premium to build something in months instead of years - because they need it open NOW, while Disney needs to build reasons to come back.....since they can't rely on their traditions and standards anymore.
That seems about right. It appears the desire to build intrigue and get people to return outweighs having a HUGE eyesore of construction in what is supposed to be a land of "fantasy". Such a shame for the people who wont have the chance to come back for years and actually experience it.

Tom

Beta Return
That seems about right. It appears the desire to build intrigue and get people to return outweighs having a HUGE eyesore of construction in what is supposed to be a land of "fantasy". Such a shame for the people who wont have the chance to come back for years and actually experience it.

And then there are the people like me who had their fill of WDW this year, and won't be visiting again until something new opens. When we go back, we'll get to experience Test Track 2.0 (was running CM soft openings at the end of our last trip) and 7DMT.

Meanwhile, we're going to DLR for the first time this May.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know the mine train addition was added later in the project of New Fantasy Land, but why didn't they ramp up construction on it to make up for lost time? Is it more cost effective to build slowly? Even considering that it is new technology they are using I would think they would want the mountain part built ASAP so they could begin construction of the coaster and work out the kinks. It seems as if so little has been built since the announcement of it(over a year ago). Are they trying to build up suspense or is the ride system so high tech that it really needs this much time, and if that is the case, ...it better blow my socks off. Considering how quickly Uni is putting in Transformers 3-D and it looks very sophisticated and complex to build, I don't see what excuse Disney has for the severe lag in build time. I'm not an engineer though, so forgive me if I am missing something.

What @edwardtc said, plus they wanted to spread capital spend into 2013. The last few years had huge capital spend for the P&R segment of TWDC between DCA and the cruise ship and some international money. I think they looked at the mine train as a way to defer spending without a major impact. They also get 2 "openings". One last December and then a second one in 2014.

JustInTime

Is this still slated for Spring 2014? Why so late behind the rest of NF?
Because they started building it last. The spaces it's taking up was needed for equipment and supplies and it made it easier to get to the other areas to build. Like the castle walls.

WDWFanDave

Who was tweeting?

A January invite would coincide with a Spring opening, if this is from a legitimate source.

Goes by the name Team Disney Podcast and Twitter handle @TheBestMagic; at least from what I could find posted from some of the people I follow on there.

prfctlyximprct

From @dlifestylers

111_zps4230049d.jpg

222_zpscffb60ec.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is this still slated for Spring 2014? Why so late behind the rest of NF?

The mine ride was not in the original plans for the expansion, there were going to be more princess M&G where the mine ride is now. Construction got started on the rest of the area then the plans were changed to have the mine ride instead of the M&Gs. The mine ride did not start construction until fall of 2011.

phi2134

Correct me if I am wrong, but are those real trees? I would think that if they were real they would want to wait until after the rock work was done and painted before putting them in.

Stupido

I'm sure the upper trees are faux, but I'm hoping some of the lower trees are real, or at least very convincing. I'm impressed with the fact that they're putting up trees already. It shows they know that right now the construction is a major eyesore. I work at the Disney Store in Times Square, and constantly people come in and complain about how distraction the distraction is to NFL. I'm sure Orlando has gotten quite an earful about it as well. It looks like they're trying to speed it up, and trying to get parts of the mountain look show ready as soon as possible. Clearly, they're going for the back end where the shops are going to be first. But its also the area with no tracks. So I'm happy to see the initiative, and after how quickly the Tangled area transformed, I wouldn't be surprised if the back of the mountain is show ready and open by May.

prfctlyximprct

I'm sure the upper trees are faux, but I'm hoping some of the lower trees are real, or at least very convincing. I'm impressed with the fact that they're putting up trees already. It shows they know that right now the construction is a major eyesore. I work at the Disney Store in Times Square, and constantly people come in and complain about how distraction the distraction is to NFL. I'm sure Orlando has gotten quite an earful about it as well. It looks like they're trying to speed it up, and trying to get parts of the mountain look show ready as soon as possible. Clearly, they're going for the back end where the shops are going to be first. But its also the area with no tracks. So I'm happy to see the initiative, and after how quickly the Tangled area transformed, I wouldn't be surprised if the back of the mountain is show ready and open by May.

Hopefully! If they can get the outside at least looking presentable it would be a major upgrade to NFL.. It's smack in the middle of it all and a major eyesore!!

muteki

I agree, can't think of any other reason why they would put the trees up this early. If not to show some signs of progress then perhaps they are just testing what they would look like installed, and will be removed while the bulk of the mountain work continues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom